Social Science & Medicine
2013, Volume 97, Issue C
- 297-306 Media representations of early human development: Protecting, feeding and loving the developing brain
by O'Connor, Cliodhna & Joffe, Helene
- 307-315 Screening for developmental disabilities in developing countries
by Bornstein, Marc H. & Hendricks, Charlene
- 316-324 Estimating the critical and sensitive periods of investment in early childhood: A methodological note
by Popli, Gurleen & Gladwell, Daniel & Tsuchiya, Aki
2013, Volume 96, Issue C
- 1-8 Intelligent policy making? Key actors' perspectives on the development and implementation of an early years' initiative in Scotland's public health arena
by Deas, L. & Mattu, L. & Gnich, W.
- 9-16 Disembodied abilities: Sick role and participation in ‘activating’ return-to-work practices
by van Hal, Lineke & Meershoek, Agnes & Nijhuis, Frans & Horstman, Klasien
- 17-23 A cluster analytic examination of acculturation and health status among Asian Americans in the Washington DC metropolitan area, United States
by Lee, Sunmin & Chen, Lu & He, Xin & Miller, Matthew J. & Juon, Hee-Soon
- 24-32 Social valorisation of stoutness as a determinant of obesity in the context of nutritional transition in Cameroon: The Bamiléké case
by Cohen, E. & Boetsch, G. & Palstra, F.P. & Pasquet, P.
- 33-44 Getting doctors into the bush: General Practitioners' preferences for rural location
by Scott, Anthony & Witt, Julia & Humphreys, John & Joyce, Catherine & Kalb, Guyonne & Jeon, Sung-Hee & McGrail, Matthew
- 45-51 A test of the substitution hypothesis: An analysis of urban and rural trends in solid/liquid poisoning suicides in Taiwan
by Chen, Ying-Yeh & Kwok, Chi-Leung & Yip, Paul S.F. & Wu, Kevin Chien-Chang
- 52-59 Discretion or discretions? Delineating professional discretion: The case of English medical practice
by Cheraghi-Sohi, Sudeh & Calnan, Michael
- 60-68 A geographical perspective on access to sexual and reproductive health care for women in rural Africa
by Yao, Jing & Murray, Alan T. & Agadjanian, Victor
- 69-77 How teams use indicators for quality improvement – A multiple-case study on the use of multiple indicators in multidisciplinary breast cancer teams
by Gort, Marjan & Broekhuis, Manda & Regts, Gerdien
- 78-85 Personal identity and the role of ‘carer’ among relatives and friends of people with multiple sclerosis
by Hughes, Nic & Locock, Louise & Ziebland, Sue
- 86-94 A systematic review and meta-analysis of antecedents of blood donation behavior and intentions
by Bednall, Timothy C. & Bove, Liliana L. & Cheetham, Ali & Murray, Andrea L.
- 95-103 Biogenetic explanations and stigma: A meta-analytic review of associations among laypeople
by Kvaale, Erlend P. & Gottdiener, William H. & Haslam, Nick
- 104-111 Making information ‘relevant’: General Practitioner judgments and the production of patient involvement
by Clinch, Megan & Benson, John
- 112-120 Early supplementary feeding among central African foragers and farmers: A biocultural approach
by Meehan, Courtney L. & Roulette, Jennifer W.
- 121-128 Biomedicalization and the public sphere: Newspaper coverage of health and medicine, 1960s–2000s
by Hallin, Daniel C. & Brandt, Marisa & Briggs, Charles L.
- 129-137 The effect of physical activity on long-term income
by Hyytinen, Ari & Lahtonen, Jukka
- 138-146 Parents' and professionals' perceptions of family-centered care for children with autism spectrum disorder across service sectors
by Hodgetts, Sandra & Nicholas, David & Zwaigenbaum, Lonnie & McConnell, David
- 147-153 The evolving concept of “patient-centeredness” in patient–physician communication research
by Ishikawa, Hirono & Hashimoto, Hideki & Kiuchi, Takahiro
- 154-164 Effects of an HIV peer prevention intervention on sexual and injecting risk behaviors among injecting drug users and their risk partners in Thai Nguyen, Vietnam: A randomized controlled trial
by Go, Vivian F. & Frangakis, Constantine & Le Minh, Nguyen & Latkin, Carl A. & Ha, Tran Viet & Mo, Tran Thi & Sripaipan, Teerada & Davis, Wendy & Zelaya, Carla & Vu, Pham The & Chen, Yong & Celentano, David D. & Quan, Vu Minh
- 165-173 The impact of psychological trauma on wages in post-conflict Bosnia and Herzegovina
by Searing, Elizabeth A.M. & Rios-Avila, Fernando & Lecy, Jesse D.
- 174-182 Neighborhood cohesion and daily well-being: Results from a diary study
by Robinette, Jennifer W. & Charles, Susan T. & Mogle, Jacqueline A. & Almeida, David M.
- 183-191 Dietary inequalities of mother–child pairs in the rural Amazon: Evidence of maternal-child buffering?
by Piperata, Barbara A. & Schmeer, Kammi K. & Hadley, Craig & Ritchie-Ewing, Genevieve
- 192-199 Managing misaligned paternity findings in research including sickle cell disease screening in Kenya: ‘Consulting communities’ to inform policy
by Marsh, Vicki & Kombe, Francis & Fitzpatrick, Ray & Molyneux, Sassy & Parker, Michael
- 200-207 Specificity of early movie effects on adolescent sexual behavior and alcohol use
by O'Hara, Ross E. & Gibbons, Frederick X. & Li, Zhigang & Gerrard, Meg & Sargent, James D.
- 208-213 Advancing our understanding of sibling supervision and injury risk for young children
by Morrongiello, Barbara A. & Schell, Stacey L. & Keleher, Bethany
- 216-222 Building institutions for health and health systems in contexts of rapid change
by Bloom, Gerald & Wolcott, Sara
- 223-231 Strengthening institutional and organizational capacity for social health protection of the informal sector in lesser-developed countries: A study of policy barriers and opportunities in Cambodia
by Annear, Peter Leslie & Ahmed, Shakil & Ros, Chhun Eang & Ir, Por
- 232-240 The promises and perils of hospital autonomy
by London, Jonathan D.
- 241-249 Strengthening district health service management and delivery through internal contracting: Lessons from pilot projects in Cambodia
by Khim, Keovathanak & Annear, Peter Leslie
- 250-257 Institutional design and organizational practice for universal coverage in lesser-developed countries: Challenges facing the Lao PDR
by Ahmed, Shakil & Annear, Peter Leslie & Phonvisay, Bouaphat & Phommavong, Chansaly & Cruz, Valeria de Oliveira & Hammerich, Asmus & Jacobs, Bart
- 258-263 Financial burden of household out-of pocket health expenditure in Viet Nam: Findings from the National Living Standard Survey 2002–2010
by Van Minh, Hoang & Kim Phuong, Nguyen Thi & Saksena, Priyanka & James, Chris D. & Xu, Ke
- 264-271 Social health insurance for the poor: Targeting and impact of Indonesia's Askeskin programme
by Sparrow, Robert & Suryahadi, Asep & Widyanti, Wenefrida
- 272-276 Willingness to pay for voluntary community-based health insurance: Findings from an exploratory study in the state of Penang, Malaysia
by Shafie, A.A. & Hassali, M.A.
- 277-284 Consumer choice among Mutual Healthcare Purchasers: A feasible option for China?
by Xu, Weiwei & van de Ven, Wynand P.M.M.
- 285-289 Scaling-up the medical workforce in Timor-Leste: Challenges of a great leap forward
by Cabral, Jorge & Dussault, Gilles & Buchan, James & Ferrinho, Paulo
- 290-296 Medical professionalism among clinical physicians in two tertiary hospitals, China
by Chen, Jing & Xu, Juan & Zhang, Chunmei & Fu, Xinqiao
- 297-304 Unfree markets: Socially embedded informal health providers in northern Karnataka, India
by George, Asha & Iyer, Aditi
2013, Volume 95, Issue C
- 6-15 Child health in the United States: Recent trends in racial/ethnic disparities
by Mehta, Neil K. & Lee, Hedwig & Ylitalo, Kelly R.
- 16-23 Family structure and child anemia in Mexico
by Schmeer, Kammi K.
- 24-33 Going beyond the surface: Gendered intra-household bargaining as a social determinant of child health and nutrition in low and middle income countries
by Richards, Esther & Theobald, Sally & George, Asha & Kim, Julia C. & Rudert, Christiane & Jehan, Kate & Tolhurst, Rachel
- 34-42 Perceived instrumental support and children's health across the early life course
by Turney, Kristin
- 43-51 Social networks of experientially similar others: Formation, activation, and consequences of network ties on the health care experience
by Gage, Elizabeth A.
- 52-59 Parental employment and children's body weight: Mothers, others, and mechanisms
by Ziol-Guest, Kathleen M. & Dunifon, Rachel E. & Kalil, Ariel
- 60-68 Trajectories of growth in body mass index across childhood: Associations with maternal and paternal employment
by Morrissey, Taryn W.
- 69-76 Chaos as a social determinant of child health: Reciprocal associations?
by Kamp Dush, Claire M. & Schmeer, Kammi K. & Taylor, Miles
- 77-86 Turbulent times: Effects of turbulence and violence exposure in adolescence on high school completion, health risk behavior, and mental health in young adulthood
by Boynton-Jarrett, Renée & Hair, Elizabeth & Zuckerman, Barry
- 87-96 Spatial clusters of autism births and diagnoses point to contextual drivers of increased prevalence
by Mazumdar, Soumya & Winter, Alix & Liu, Ka-Yuet & Bearman, Peter
- 97-105 Neighborhood context and racial/ethnic differences in young children's obesity: Structural barriers to interventions
by Kimbro, Rachel Tolbert & Denney, Justin T.
- 106-114 Disentangling neighborhood contextual associations with child body mass index, diet, and physical activity: The role of built, socioeconomic, and social environments
by Carroll-Scott, Amy & Gilstad-Hayden, Kathryn & Rosenthal, Lisa & Peters, Susan M. & McCaslin, Catherine & Joyce, Rebecca & Ickovics, Jeannette R.
- 115-127 A systematic review of studies examining the relationship between reported racism and health and wellbeing for children and young people
by Priest, Naomi & Paradies, Yin & Trenerry, Brigid & Truong, Mandy & Karlsen, Saffron & Kelly, Yvonne
- 128-132 Prenatal attitudes and parity predict selection into a U.S. child health program: A short report
by Martin-Anderson, Sarah
2013, Volume 94, Issue C
- 1-8 Educational differences in disability-free life expectancy: a comparative study of long-standing activity limitation in eight European countries
by Mäki, Netta & Martikainen, Pekka & Eikemo, Terje & Menvielle, Gwenn & Lundberg, Olle & Östergren, Olof & Jasilionis, Domantas & Mackenbach, Johan P.
- 9-16 Social exclusion, deprivation and child health: a spatial analysis of ambulatory care sensitive conditions in children aged 0–4 years in Victoria, Australia
by Butler, Danielle C. & Thurecht, Linc & Brown, Laurie & Konings, Paul
- 17-25 Gender, family status and physician labour supply
by Wang, Chao & Sweetman, Arthur
- 26-33 Streetscape greenery and health: Stress, social cohesion and physical activity as mediators
by de Vries, Sjerp & van Dillen, Sonja M.E. & Groenewegen, Peter P. & Spreeuwenberg, Peter
- 34-42 From altruism to monetisation: Australian women's ideas about money, ethics and research eggs
by Waldby, Catherine & Kerridge, Ian & Boulos, Margaret & Carroll, Katherine
- 43-55 Do slums matter? Location and early childhood preventive care choices among urban residents of Bangladesh
by Heller, Lauren R.
- 56-62 Prioritizing treatment of rare diseases: A survey of preferences of Norwegian doctors
by Desser, Arna S.
- 63-70 Interacting institutional logics in general dental practice
by Harris, Rebecca & Holt, Robin
- 71-80 Divorce and changes in the prevalence of psychotropic medication use: A register-based longitudinal study among middle-aged Finns
by Metsä-Simola, Niina & Martikainen, Pekka
- 83-90 Does social participation improve self-rated health in the older population? A quasi-experimental intervention study
by Ichida, Yukinobu & Hirai, Hiroshi & Kondo, Katsunori & Kawachi, Ichiro & Takeda, Tokunori & Endo, Hideki
- 91-97 Housing affordability and mental health: Does the relationship differ for renters and home purchasers?
by Mason, Kate E. & Baker, Emma & Blakely, Tony & Bentley, Rebecca J.
- 98-105 Signalling, status and inequities in maternal healthcare use in Punjab, Pakistan
by Mumtaz, Zubia & Levay, Adrienne & Bhatti, Afshan & Salway, Sarah
- 106-114 “And I look down and he is gone”: Narrating autism, elopement and wandering in Los Angeles
by Solomon, Olga & Lawlor, Mary C.
2013, Volume 93, Issue C
- 1-10 Women's autonomy and husbands' involvement in maternal health care in Nepal
by Thapa, Deependra Kaji & Niehof, Anke
- 11-20 Exercise, physical activity, and exertion over the business cycle
by Colman, Gregory & Dave, Dhaval
- 21-28 Assessing health system performance: A model-based approach
by Gerring, John & Thacker, Strom C. & Enikolopov, Ruben & Arévalo, Julián & Maguire, Matthew
- 29-37 Intergenerational and socioeconomic gradients of child obesity
by Costa-Font, Joan & Gil, Joan
- 38-46 Realizing good care within a context of cross-cultural diversity: An ethical guideline for healthcare organizations in Flanders, Belgium
by Denier, Yvonne & Gastmans, Chris
- 47-54 Competing and coexisting logics in the changing field of English general medical practice
by McDonald, Ruth & Cheraghi-Sohi, Sudeh & Bayes, Sara & Morriss, Richard & Kai, Joe
- 55-63 Tensions around risks in pregnancy: A typology of women's experiences of surveillance medicine
by Hammer, Raphaël P. & Burton-Jeangros, Claudine
- 64-69 Drug use among sex workers in Hungary
by Móró, Levente & Simon, Katalin & Sárosi, Péter
- 70-77 Influence of neighbourhood ethnic density, diet and physical activity on ethnic differences in weight status: A study of 214,807 adults in Australia
by Astell-Burt, Thomas & Feng, Xiaoqi & Croteau, Karen & Kolt, Gregory S.
- 78-85 Health workers' perceptions of access to care for children and pregnant women with precarious immigration status: Health as a right or a privilege?
by Vanthuyne, Karine & Meloni, Francesca & Ruiz-Casares, Monica & Rousseau, Cécile & Ricard-Guay, Alexandra
- 86-94 What matters to older people with assisted living needs? A phenomenological analysis of the use and non-use of telehealth and telecare
by Greenhalgh, Trisha & Wherton, Joe & Sugarhood, Paul & Hinder, Sue & Procter, Rob & Stones, Rob
- 95-102 From laboratories to chambers of parliament and beyond: Producing bioethics in France and Romania
by Bretonnière, Sandrine
- 103-112 Health-related effects of welfare-to-work policies
by Ayala, Luis & Rodríguez, Magdalena
- 113-120 Cultural health capital and the interactional dynamics of patient-centered care
by Dubbin, Leslie A. & Chang, Jamie Suki & Shim, Janet K.
- 121-129 Rural-to-urban migrant adolescents in Guangzhou, China: Psychological health, victimization, and local and trans-local ties
by Cheung, Nicole W.T.
- 130-138 Trading off dietary choices, physical exercise and cardiovascular disease risks
by Grisolía, José M. & Longo, Alberto & Boeri, Marco & Hutchinson, George & Kee, Frank
- 139-146 Socioeconomic status, John Henryism and blood pressure among African-Americans in the Jackson Heart Study
by Subramanyam, Malavika A. & James, Sherman A. & Diez-Roux, Ana V. & Hickson, DeMarc A. & Sarpong, Daniel & Sims, Mario & Taylor, Herman A. & Wyatt, Sharon B.
- 147-154 Travel time to maternity care and its effect on utilization in rural Ghana: A multilevel analysis
by Masters, Samuel H. & Burstein, Roy & Amofah, George & Abaogye, Patrick & Kumar, Santosh & Hanlon, Michael
- 155-162 The role of under-employment and unemployment in recent birth cohort effects in Australian suicide
by Page, Andrew & Milner, Allison & Morrell, Stephen & Taylor, Richard
- 166-175 Democratization and life expectancy in Europe, 1960–2008
by Mackenbach, Johan P. & Hu, Yannan & Looman, Caspar W.N.
- 185-193 What are the components of complex interventions in healthcare? Theorizing approaches to parts, powers and the whole intervention
by Clark, Alexander M.
- 194-202 How complexity science can inform scale-up and spread in health care: Understanding the role of self-organization in variation across local contexts
by Lanham, Holly Jordan & Leykum, Luci K. & Taylor, Barbara S. & McCannon, C. Joseph & Lindberg, Curt & Lester, Richard T.
- 203-211 Innovation as emergence in healthcare: Unpacking change from within
by Essén, Anna & Lindblad, Staffan
- 212-219 Connections and consequences in complex systems: Insights from a case study of the emergence and local impact of crisis resolution and home treatment services
by Hannigan, Ben
- 220-228 Essential drugs policy in three rural counties in China: What does a complexity lens add?
by Xiao, Yue & Zhao, Kun & Bishai, David M. & Peters, David H.
- 229-237 Using complexity theory to analyse the organisational response to resurgent tuberculosis across London
by Trenholm, Susan & Ferlie, Ewan
- 238-246 Unraveling the complexities of disaster management: A framework for critical social infrastructure to promote population health and resilience
by O'Sullivan, Tracey L. & Kuziemsky, Craig E. & Toal-Sullivan, Darene & Corneil, Wayne
- 247-255 Modelling the social determinants of health and simulating short-term and long-term intervention impacts for the city of Toronto, Canada
by Mahamoud, Aziza & Roche, Brenda & Homer, Jack
2013, Volume 92, Issue C
- 1-8 Immigrant enclaves and obesity in preschool-aged children in Los Angeles County
by Nobari, Tabashir Z. & Wang, May-Choo & Chaparro, M. Pia & Crespi, Catherine M. & Koleilat, Maria & Whaley, Shannon E.
- 9-21 Conceptualising and measuring the well-being of people with psychosis: Systematic review and narrative synthesis
by Schrank, Beate & Bird, Victoria & Tylee, Andre & Coggins, Tony & Rashid, Tayyab & Slade, Mike
- 22-26 Socioeconomic differences in purchases of more vs. less healthy foods and beverages: Analysis of over 25,000 British households in 2010
by Pechey, Rachel & Jebb, Susan A. & Kelly, Michael P. & Almiron-Roig, Eva & Conde, Susana & Nakamura, Ryota & Shemilt, Ian & Suhrcke, Marc & Marteau, Theresa M.
- 27-34 AIDS treatment and mental health: Evidence from Uganda
by Okeke, Edward N. & Wagner, Glenn J.
- 35-42 Associations of occupational attributes and excessive drinking
by Barnes, Andrew J. & Zimmerman, Frederick J.
- 43-52 “So they believe that if the baby is sick you must give drugs…” The importance of medicines in health-seeking behaviour for childhood illnesses in urban South Africa
by Friend-du Preez, Natalie & Cameron, Noël & Griffiths, Paula
- 53-60 Precursors to overnutrition: The effects of household market food expenditures on measures of body composition among Tsimane' adults in lowland Bolivia
by Rosinger, Asher & Tanner, Susan & Leonard, William R.
- 61-73 Health, policy and geography: Insights from a multi-level modelling approach
by Castelli, Adriana & Jacobs, Rowena & Goddard, Maria & Smith, Peter C.
- 74-82 Realising the transformative potential of healthcare partnerships: Insights from divergent literatures and contrasting cases in high- and low-income country contexts
by Aveling, Emma-Louise & Martin, Graham
- 83-91 Rethinking gender and mental health: A critical analysis of three propositions
by Hill, Terrence D. & Needham, Belinda L.
- 92-104 Estimating a WTP-based value of a QALY: The ‘chained’ approach
by Robinson, Angela & Gyrd-Hansen, Dorte & Bacon, Philomena & Baker, Rachel & Pennington, Mark & Donaldson, Cam
- 105-113 Health consequences of the ‘Great Recession’ on the employed: Evidence from an industrial cohort in aluminum manufacturing
by Modrek, Sepideh & Cullen, Mark R.
- 114-123 Worker health is good for the economy: Union density and psychosocial safety climate as determinants of country differences in worker health and productivity in 31 European countries
by Dollard, Maureen F. & Neser, Daniel Y.
- 124-131 Accounting for fetal death: Vital statistics and the medicalization of pregnancy in the United States
by Fordyce, Lauren
2013, Volume 91, Issue C
- 1-9 Mother's social capital and child health in Indonesia
by Sujarwoto, Sujarwoto & Tampubolon, Gindo
- 10-14 How do you measure trust in the health system? A systematic review of the literature
by Ozawa, Sachiko & Sripad, Pooja
- 15-24 “Safe Going”: The influence of crime rates and perceived crime and safety on walking in deprived neighbourhoods
by Mason, Phil & Kearns, Ade & Livingston, Mark
- 25-31 Absolute and relative family affluence and psychosomatic symptoms in adolescents
by Elgar, Frank J. & De Clercq, Bart & Schnohr, Christina W. & Bird, Phillippa & Pickett, Kate E. & Torsheim, Torbjørn & Hofmann, Felix & Currie, Candace
- 32-38 Does inappropriate selectivity in information use relate to diagnostic errors and patient harm? The diagnosis of patients with dyspnea
by Zwaan, Laura & Thijs, Abel & Wagner, Cordula & Timmermans, Daniëlle R.M.
- 39-47 Perceived organizational justice as a predictor of long-term sickness absence due to diagnosed mental disorders: Results from the prospective longitudinal Finnish Public Sector Study
by Elovainio, Marko & Linna, Anne & Virtanen, Marianna & Oksanen, Tuula & Kivimäki, Mika & Pentti, Jaana & Vahtera, Jussi
- 48-57 The role of social geography on Lady Health Workers' mobility and effectiveness in Pakistan
by Mumtaz, Zubia & Salway, Sarah & Nykiforuk, Candace & Bhatti, Afshan & Ataullahjan, Anushka & Ayyalasomayajula, Bharati
- 58-66 Investigating the relationship between neighborhood poverty and mortality risk: A marginal structural modeling approach
by Do, D. Phuong & Wang, Lu & Elliott, Michael R.
- 67-75 Physical and emotional well-being and the balance of needed and received emotional support: Age differences in a daily diary study
by Wolff, Julia K. & Schmiedek, Florian & Brose, Annette & Lindenberger, Ulman
- 76-83 Criminal victimisation and health: Examining the relation in nine countries of the former Soviet Union
by Stickley, Andrew & Koyanagi, Ai & Roberts, Bayard & Rotman, David & McKee, Martin
- 84-93 A randomized controlled trial of combined exercise and psycho-education for low-SES women: Short- and long-term outcomes in the reduction of stress and depressive symptoms
by van der Waerden, Judith E.B. & Hoefnagels, Cees & Hosman, Clemens M.H. & Souren, Pierre M. & Jansen, Maria W.J.
- 94-100 The high price of debt: Household financial debt and its impact on mental and physical health
by Sweet, Elizabeth & Nandi, Arijit & Adam, Emma K. & McDade, Thomas W.
- 105-109 Using autoethnography to reclaim the ‘place of healing’ in mental health care
by Liggins, J. & Kearns, R.A. & Adams, P.J.
- 110-121 Creation of synthetic homogeneous neighbourhoods using zone design algorithms to explore relationships between asthma and deprivation in Strasbourg, France
by Sabel, C.E. & Kihal, W. & Bard, D. & Weber, C.
- 122-129 Creating ‘therapeutic landscapes’ for mental health carers in inpatient settings: A dynamic perspective on permeability and inclusivity
by Wood, Victoria J. & Curtis, Sarah E. & Gesler, Wil & Spencer, Ian H. & Close, Helen J. & Mason, James & Reilly, Joe G.
- 130-134 Is physical activity in natural environments better for mental health than physical activity in other environments?
by Mitchell, Richard
- 135-140 Woodland as working space: Where is the restorative green idyll?
by Bingley, Amanda
- 141-152 Reprint of: “I'm always entirely happy when I'm here!” Urban blue enhancing human health and well-being in Cologne and Düsseldorf, Germany
by Völker, Sebastian & Kistemann, Thomas
- 153-161 Youth, alcohol and place-based leisure behaviours: A study of two locations in England
by Townshend, Tim G.
- 162-167 The spatial and temporal development of binge drinking in England 2001–2009: An observational study
by Twigg, Liz & Moon, Graham
- 168-177 Neighbourhood deprivation and adolescent self-esteem: Exploration of the ‘socio-economic equalisation in youth’ hypothesis in Britain and Canada
by Fagg, James H. & Curtis, Sarah E. & Cummins, Steven & Stansfeld, Stephen A. & Quesnel-Vallée, Amélie
- 178-185 Seasonal and locational variations in children's play: Implications for wellbeing
by Ergler, Christina R. & Kearns, Robin A. & Witten, Karen
- 186-193 The emotional overlay: Older person and carer perspectives on negotiating aging and care in rural Ontario
by Herron, Rachel V. & Skinner, Mark W.
- 194-201 The weather-stains of care: Interpreting the meaning of bad weather for front-line health care workers in rural long-term care
by Joseph, Gillian M. & Skinner, Mark W. & Yantzi, Nicole M.
- 202-209 Entitlement to concessionary public transport and wellbeing: A qualitative study of young people and older citizens in London, UK
by Jones, Alasdair & Goodman, Anna & Roberts, Helen & Steinbach, Rebecca & Green, Judith
- 210-218 Right to a healthy city? Examining the relationship between urban space and health inequity by Aboriginal youth artist-activists in Winnipeg
by Skinner, Emily & Masuda, Jeffrey R.
- 219-228 Aboriginal urbanization and rights in Canada: Examining implications for health
by Senese, Laura C. & Wilson, Kathi
- 229-237 Defying the odds: A mixed-methods study of health resilience in deprived areas of England
by Cairns-Nagi, Joanne Marie & Bambra, Clare
- 238-245 Deprived yet healthy: Neighbourhood-level resilience in New Zealand
by Pearson, Amber L. & Pearce, Jamie & Kingham, Simon
- 246-255 Expert knowledge sourcing for public health surveillance: National tsetse mapping in Uganda
by Berrang-Ford, Lea & Garton, Kelly
2013, Volume 90, Issue C
- 1-10 Health insurance coverage within sibships: Prevalence of mixed coverage and associations with health care utilization
by Percheski, Christine & Bzostek, Sharon
- 11-23 A spatial analysis of community disadvantage and access to healthcare services in the U.S
by Archibald, Matthew E. & Putnam Rankin, Caddie
- 24-31 Socioeconomic inequalities and mental health problems in children and adolescents: A systematic review
by Reiss, Franziska
- 32-39 How healthcare provider talk with parents of children following severe traumatic brain injury is perceived in early acute care
by Roscigno, Cecelia I. & Savage, Teresa A. & Grant, Gerald & Philipsen, Gerry
- 40-48 Contextual factors and weight change over time: A comparison between U.S. Hispanics and other population sub-groups
by Ullmann, S. Heidi & Goldman, Noreen & Pebley, Anne R.
- 49-55 Parsing the peanut panic: The social life of a contested food allergy epidemic
by Waggoner, Miranda R.
- 56-62 ‘It can do no harm’: Body maintenance and modification in alternative medicine acknowledged as a non risk health regimen
by Pedersen, Inge Kryger
- 63-71 “Your body is your business card”: Bodily capital and health authority in the fitness industry
by Hutson, David J.
2013, Volume 89, Issue C
- 1-7 Estimating the causal effect of alcohol consumption on well-being for a cross-section of 9 former Soviet Union countries
by Mentzakis, Emmanouil & Suhrcke, Marc & Roberts, Bayard & Murphy, Adrianna & McKee, Martin
- 8-15 Predictors of health behaviors after the economic downturn: A longitudinal study
by Macy, Jonathan T. & Chassin, Laurie & Presson, Clark C.
- 16-24 Race, gender, class, sexuality (RGCS) and hypertension
by Veenstra, Gerry
- 25-31 Horizontal equity and efficiency at primary health care facilities in rural Afghanistan: A seemingly unrelated regression approach
by Johns, Benjamin & Steinhardt, Laura & Walker, Damian G. & Peters, David H. & Bishai, David
- 32-38 Racial disparities in travel time to radiotherapy facilities in the Atlanta metropolitan area
by Peipins, Lucy A. & Graham, Shannon & Young, Randall & Lewis, Brian & Flanagan, Barry
- 39-44 The association between relative deprivation and self-rated health, depressive symptoms, and smoking behavior in Taiwan
by Kuo, Chun-Tung & Chiang, Tung-liang
- 45-52 Dividuality, masculine respectability and reputation: How masculinity affects men's uptake of HIV treatment in rural eastern Uganda
by Siu, Godfrey E. & Seeley, Janet & Wight, Daniel
- 53-61 Higher-status occupations and breast cancer: A life-course stress approach
by Pudrovska, Tetyana & Carr, Deborah & McFarland, Michael & Collins, Caitlyn
2013, Volume 88, Issue C
- 1-9 Illicit and prescription drug problems among urban Aboriginal adults in Canada: The role of traditional culture in protection and resilience
by Currie, Cheryl L. & Wild, T. Cameron & Schopflocher, Donald P. & Laing, Lory & Veugelers, Paul
- 10-17 The social and political lives of zoonotic disease models: Narratives, science and policy
by Leach, Melissa & Scoones, Ian
- 18-29 Work-related health risks in Europe: Are older workers more vulnerable?
by Jones, Melanie K. & Latreille, Paul L. & Sloane, Peter J. & Staneva, Anita V.
- 30-38 The importance of children's ADHD for parents' relationship stability and labor supply
by Kvist, Anette Primdal & Nielsen, Helena Skyt & Simonsen, Marianne
- 39-47 Use of hospital and long-term institutional care services in relation to proximity to death among older people in Finland
by Murphy, Michael & Martikainen, Pekka
- 48-55 The impact of a lay counselor led collaborative care intervention for common mental disorders in public and private primary care: A qualitative evaluation nested in the MANAS trial in Goa, India
by Shinde, Sachin & Andrew, Gracy & Bangash, Omer & Cohen, Alex & Kirkwood, Betty & Patel, Vikram
- 56-67 Culture, threat, and mental illness stigma: Identifying culture-specific threat among Chinese-American groups
by Yang, Lawrence H. & Purdie-Vaughns, Valerie & Kotabe, Hiroki & Link, Bruce G. & Saw, Anne & Wong, Gloria & Phelan, Jo C.
- 68-75 Making space for belonging: Critical reflections on the implementation of personalised adult social care under the veil of meaningful inclusion
by Power, Andrew
- 76-82 Ethnic density and area deprivation: Neighbourhood effects on Māori health and racial discrimination in Aotearoa/New Zealand
by Bécares, Laia & Cormack, Donna & Harris, Ricci
- 83-89 The contribution of attenuated selection in utero to small-for-gestational-age (SGA) among term African American male infants
by Goodman, Julia M. & Karasek, Deborah & Anderson, Elizabeth & Catalano, Ralph A.
- 90-97 Health impacts of pedestrian head-loading: A review of the evidence with particular reference to women and children in sub-Saharan Africa
by Porter, Gina & Hampshire, Kate & Dunn, Christine & Hall, Richard & Levesley, Martin & Burton, Kim & Robson, Steve & Abane, Albert & Blell, Mwenza & Panther, Julia
- 98-107 Is wealthier always healthier in poor countries? The health implications of income, inequality, poverty, and literacy in India
by Rajan, Keertichandra & Kennedy, Jonathan & King, Lawrence
- 108-115 Obesity, school obesity prevalence, and adolescent childbearing among U.S. young women
by Kane, Jennifer B. & Frisco, Michelle L.
2013, Volume 87, Issue C
- 1-8 “Eyes that don't see, heart that doesn't feel”: Coping with sex work in intimate relationships and its implications for HIV/STI prevention
by Syvertsen, Jennifer L. & Robertson, Angela M. & Rolón, María Luisa & Palinkas, Lawrence A. & Martinez, Gustavo & Rangel, M. Gudelia & Strathdee, Steffanie A.
- 9-15 Standards and classification: A perspective on the ‘obesity epidemic’
by Nicholls, Stuart G.
- 16-22 How institutional change and individual researchers helped advance clinical guidelines in American health care
by Nigam, Amit
- 23-30 Interactive effects of social support and social conflict on medication adherence in multimorbid older adults
by Warner, Lisa M. & Schüz, Benjamin & Aiken, Leona & Ziegelmann, Jochen P. & Wurm, Susanne & Tesch-Römer, Clemens & Schwarzer, Ralf
- 31-38 The world as the new local clinic: A critical analysis of three discourses of global medical competency
by Martimianakis, Maria Athina (Tina) & Hafferty, Frederic W.
- 39-51 Family structure, victimization, and child mental health in a nationally representative sample
by Turner, Heather A. & Finkelhor, David & Hamby, Sherry L. & Shattuck, Anne
- 52-59 Becoming and remaining community health workers: Perspectives from Ethiopia and Mozambique
by Maes, Kenneth & Kalofonos, Ippolytos
- 60-67 Motivational interviewing within the different stages of change: An analysis of practice nurse-patient consultations aimed at promoting a healthier lifestyle
by Noordman, Janneke & de Vet, Emely & van der Weijden, Trudy & van Dulmen, Sandra
- 68-76 Resisting the colonization of the lifeworld? Immigrant patients' experiences with co-ethnic healthcare workers
by Lo, Ming-Cheng Miriam & Bahar, Roxana
- 77-83 Exploring tuberculosis by types of housing development
by Low, Chien-Tat & Lai, Poh-Chin & Tse, Wing-Sze Cindy & Tsui, Chung-Kan & Lee, Herman & Hui, Pak-Kwan
- 84-92 A new theory-based social classification in Japan and its validation using historically collected information
by Hiyoshi, Ayako & Fukuda, Yoshiharu & Shipley, Martin J. & Bartley, Mel & Brunner, Eric J.
- 93-98 The equalisation hypothesis and changes in geographical inequalities of age based mortality in England, 2002–2004 to 2008–2010
by Green, Mark A.
- 99-107 Combining work and family: Rewards or risks for children's mental health?
by Strazdins, Lyndall & OBrien, Léan V. & Lucas, Nina & Rodgers, Bryan
- 108-115 Associations among environmental supports, physical activity, and blood pressure in African-American adults in the PATH trial
by Coulon, Sandra M. & Wilson, Dawn K. & Egan, Brent M.
- 116-122 Can capabilities be self-reported? A think aloud study
by Al-Janabi, Hareth & Keeley, Thomas & Mitchell, Paul & Coast, Joanna
- 123-131 Racial attitudes, physician–patient talk time ratio, and adherence in racially discordant medical interactions
by Hagiwara, Nao & Penner, Louis A. & Gonzalez, Richard & Eggly, Susan & Dovidio, John F. & Gaertner, Samuel L. & West, Tessa & Albrecht, Terrance L.
- 132-137 Smoking initiation, continuation and prevalence in deprived urban areas compared to non-deprived urban areas in The Netherlands
by Kuipers, Mirte A.G. & Wingen, Marleen & Stronks, Karien & Kunst, Anton E.
- 138-146 “Never mind the logic, give me the numbers”: Former Australian health ministers' perspectives on the social determinants of health
by Baum, Frances E. & Laris, Paul & Fisher, Matthew & Newman, Lareen & MacDougall, Colin
- 147-154 The impact of social context on self-management in women living with HIV
by Webel, Allison R. & Cuca, Yvette & Okonsky, Jennifer G. & Asher, Alice K. & Kaihura, Alphoncina & Salata, Robert A.
- 155-167 “I'm afraid I have bad news for you…” Estimating the impact of different health impairments on subjective well-being
by Binder, Martin & Coad, Alex
- 168-175 The uses of ultrasonography in relation to foetal malformations in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
by Mirlesse, Véronique & Ville, Isabelle
- 185-193 Pathways from parental AIDS to child psychological, educational and sexual risk: Developing an empirically-based interactive theoretical model
by Cluver, Lucie & Orkin, Mark & Boyes, Mark E. & Sherr, Lorraine & Makasi, Daphne & Nikelo, Joy
2013, Volume 86, Issue C
- 1-8 Health consumption as work: The home pregnancy test as a domesticated health tool
by Childerhose, Janet E. & MacDonald, Margaret E.
- 9-16 Strong effects of home-based voluntary HIV counselling and testing on acceptance and equity: A cluster randomised trial in Zambia
by Fylkesnes, Knut & Sandøy, Ingvild Fossgard & Jürgensen, Marte & Chipimo, Peter J. & Mwangala, Sheila & Michelo, Charles
- 17-25 Prevalence and predictors of partner violence against women in the aftermath of war: A survey among couples in Northern Uganda
by Saile, Regina & Neuner, Frank & Ertl, Verena & Catani, Claudia
- 26-34 Does antenatal care matter in the use of skilled birth attendance in rural Africa: A multi-country analysis
by Adjiwanou, Vissého & LeGrand, Thomas
- 35-44 Peer effects in adolescent bodyweight: Evidence from rural China
by Loh, Chung-Ping A. & Li, Qiang
- 45-51 Juggling on a rollercoaster? Gains, loss and uncertainties in IVF patients' accounts of volunteering for a U.K. ‘egg sharing for research’ scheme
by Haimes, Erica
- 52-65 Donor conceived offspring conceive of the donor: The relevance of age, awareness, and family form
by Hertz, Rosanna & Nelson, Margaret K. & Kramer, Wendy
- 66-78 Understanding careseeking for child illness in sub-Saharan Africa: A systematic review and conceptual framework based on qualitative research of household recognition and response to child diarrhoea, pneumonia and malaria
by Colvin, Christopher J. & Smith, Helen J. & Swartz, Alison & Ahs, Jill W. & de Heer, Jodie & Opiyo, Newton & Kim, Julia C. & Marraccini, Toni & George, Asha
- 79-87 Consultation and illness behaviour in response to symptoms: A comparison of models from different disciplinary frameworks and suggestions for future research directions
by Wyke, Sally & Adamson, Joy & Dixon, Diane & Hunt, Kate
- 88-95 Social health insurance without corporate actors: Changes in self-regulation in Germany, Poland and Turkey
by Wendt, Claus & Agartan, Tuba I. & Kaminska, Monika Ewa