Social Science & Medicine
2012, Volume 75, Issue 3
- 526-530 Transition to retirement and risk of cardiovascular disease: Prospective analysis of the US health and retirement study
by Moon, J. Robin & Glymour, M. Maria & Subramanian, S.V. & Avendaño, Mauricio & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 531-537 Revealing mental health status in Iran's capital: Putting equity and efficiency together
by Morasae, Esmaeil Khedmati & Forouzan, Ameneh Setareh & Asadi-Lari, Mohsen & Majdzadeh, Reza
- 538-547 “From this place and of this place:” Climate change, sense of place, and health in Nunatsiavut, Canada
by Cunsolo Willox, Ashlee & Harper, Sherilee L. & Ford, James D. & Landman, Karen & Houle, Karen & Edge, Victoria L.
- 548-554 Haunted by ghosts: Prevalence, predictors and outcomes of spirit possession experiences among former child soldiers and war-affected civilians in Northern Uganda
by Neuner, Frank & Pfeiffer, Anett & Schauer-Kaiser, Elisabeth & Odenwald, Michael & Elbert, Thomas & Ertl, Verena
- 555-564 Idioms of distress, ethnopsychology, and the clinical encounter in Haiti's Central Plateau
by Keys, Hunter M. & Kaiser, Bonnie N. & Kohrt, Brandon A. & Khoury, Nayla M. & Brewster, Aimée-Rika T.
- 565-572 Cooking with biomass increases the risk of depression in pre-menopausal women in India
by Banerjee, Madhuchhanda & Siddique, Shabana & Dutta, Anindita & Mukherjee, Bidisha & Ranjan Ray, Manas
- 573-580 The recovery imperative: A critical examination of mid-life women's recovery from depression
by O'Brien, Wendy
- 581-588 Challenging claims that mental illness has been increasing and mental well-being declining
by Busfield, Joan
2012, Volume 75, Issue 2
- 249-256 Cultural competence and evidence-based practice in mental health: Epistemic communities and the politics of pluralism
by Kirmayer, Laurence J.
- 257-263 Patients' willingness and ability to participate actively in the reduction of clinical errors: A systematic literature review
by Doherty, Carole & Stavropoulou, Charitini
- 264-268 Care pathways lead to better teamwork: Results of a systematic review
by Deneckere, Svin & Euwema, Martin & Van Herck, Pieter & Lodewijckx, Cathy & Panella, Massimiliano & Sermeus, Walter & Vanhaecht, Kris
- 269-273 The health care access and utilization of homeschooled children in the United States
by Cordner, Alissa
- 274-282 Health programs struggling with complexity: A case study of the Dutch ‘PreCare’ project
by Wehrens, Rik & Bal, Roland
- 283-287 Regional differences in HIV prevalence and individual attitudes among service providers in China
by Li, Li & Lin, Chunqing & Wu, Zunyou & Scott Comulada, W. & Ding, Yingying
- 288-296 Trans-local ties, local ties and psychological well-being among rural-to-urban migrants in Shanghai
by Jin, Lei & Wen, Ming & Fan, Jessie X. & Wang, Guixin
- 297-299 Residual stigma: Psychological distress among the formerly overweight
by Levy, Becca R. & Pilver, Corey E.
- 300-310 Durational and generational differences in Mexican immigrant obesity: Is acculturation the explanation?
by Creighton, Mathew J. & Goldman, Noreen & Pebley, Anne R. & Chung, Chang Y.
- 311-322 Weight of communities: A multilevel analysis of body mass index in 32,814 neighborhoods in 57 low- to middle-income countries (LMICs)
by Corsi, Daniel J. & Finlay, Jocelyn E. & Subramanian, S.V.
- 323-330 Breastfeeding and risk of overweight and obesity at nine-years of age
by McCrory, Cathal & Layte, Richard
- 331-339 Linkages between maternal education and childhood immunization in India
by Vikram, Kriti & Vanneman, Reeve & Desai, Sonalde
- 340-348 Social capital and self-rated health – A study of temporal (causal) relationships
by Giordano, Giuseppe Nicola & Björk, Jonas & Lindström, Martin
- 349-357 Individual social capital, neighbourhood deprivation, and self-rated health in England
by Verhaeghe, Pieter-Paul & Tampubolon, Gindo
- 358-366 Towards a reassessment of the role of divorce in suicide outcomes: Evidence from five pacific rim populations
by Yip, Paul S.F. & Chen, Ying-Yeh & Yousuf, Saman & Lee, Carmen K.M. & Kawano, Kenji & Routley, Virginia & Ben Park, B.C. & Yamauchi, Takashi & Tachimori, Hisateru & Clapperton, Angela & Wu, Kevin Chien-Chang
- 367-376 Risk as feelings in the effect of patient outcomes on physicians' future treatment decisions: A randomized trial and manipulation validation
by Hemmerich, Joshua A. & Elstein, Arthur S. & Schwarze, Margaret L. & Moliski, Elizabeth Ghini & Dale, William
- 377-383 Why performance-based contracting failed in Uganda – An “open-box” evaluation of a complex health system intervention
by Ssengooba, Freddie & McPake, Barbara & Palmer, Natasha
- 384-391 The decision to vaccinate a child: An economic perspective from southern Malawi
by Holte, Jon H. & Mæstad, Ottar & Jani, Jagrati V.
- 392-400 Water insecurity in 3 dimensions: An anthropological perspective on water and women's psychosocial distress in Ethiopia
by Stevenson, Edward G.J. & Greene, Leslie E. & Maes, Kenneth C. & Ambelu, Argaw & Tesfaye, Yihenew Alemu & Rheingans, Richard & Hadley, Craig
- 401-409 Class, gender and culture in the experience of menopause. A comparative survey in Tunisia and France
by Delanoë, Daniel & Hajri, Selma & Bachelot, Annie & Mahfoudh Draoui, Dorra & Hassoun, Danielle & Marsicano, Elise & Ringa, Virginie
- 410-418 Representations of MDR and XDR-TB in South African newspapers
by Daku, Mark & Gibbs, Andrew & Heymann, Jody
- 419-428 Suicide communication events: Lay interpretation of the communication of suicidal ideation and intent
by Owen, Gareth & Belam, Judith & Lambert, Helen & Donovan, Jenny & Rapport, Frances & Owens, Christabel
- 429-437 The possibilities of technology in shaping healthcare professionals: (Re/De-)Professionalisation of pharmacists in England
by Petrakaki, Dimitra & Barber, Nick & Waring, Justin
2012, Volume 75, Issue 1
- 1-9 Whiners and deniers – What does self-rated health measure?
by Layes, Audrey & Asada, Yukiko & Kephart, George
- 14-22 The journals are full of great studies but can we believe the statistics? Revisiting the Mass Privatisation – Mortality Debate
by Gerry, Christopher J.
- 36-45 Do people die from income inequality of a decade ago?
by Zheng, Hui
- 46-59 Meta-analysis of marital dissolution and mortality: Reevaluating the intersection of gender and age
by Shor, Eran & Roelfs, David J. & Bugyi, Paul & Schwartz, Joseph E.
- 60-68 Macro-level gender equality and alcohol consumption: A multi-level analysis across U.S. States
by Roberts, Sarah C.M.
- 69-76 Does school ethos explain the relationship between value-added education and teenage substance use? A cohort study
by Markham, Wolfgang A. & Young, Robert & Sweeting, Helen & West, Patrick & Aveyard, Paul
- 77-86 A cross-sectional exploration of smoking status and social interaction in a large population-based Australian cohort
by Chiew, May & Weber, Marianne F. & Egger, Sam & Sitas, Freddy
- 87-97 A best–worst scaling survey of adolescents' level of concern for health and non-health consequences of smoking
by Marti, Joachim
- 98-108 Multiple risk behaviors and suicidal ideation and behavior among Israeli and Palestinian adolescents
by Harel-Fisch, Yossi & Abdeen, Ziad & Walsh, Sophie D. & Radwan, Qasrowi & Fogel-Grinvald, Haya
- 109-119 Bigger bodies: Long-term trends and disparities in obesity and body-mass index among U.S. adults, 1960–2008
by Ljungvall, Åsa & Zimmerman, Frederick J.
- 120-128 Heterogeneity of income and lifestyle determinants of body weight among adult women in Mexico, 2006
by Colchero, M.A. & Sosa-Rubí, S.G.
- 129-137 Use of the Yitzhaki Index as a test of relative deprivation for health outcomes: A review of recent literature
by Adjaye-Gbewonyo, Kafui & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 138-147 A perverse ‘net’ effect? Health insurance and ex-ante moral hazard in Ghana
by Yilma, Zelalem & van Kempen, Luuk & de Hoop, Thomas
- 148-155 Representations and uses of emergency contraception in West Africa. A social anthropological reading of a northern medicinal product
by Teixeira, Maria & Guillaume, Agnès & Ferrand, Michèle & Adjamabgo, Agnès & Bajos, Nathalie
- 156-164 The relationship between state abortion-restrictions and homicide deaths among children under 5 years of age: A longitudinal study
by Sen, Bisakha & Wingate, Martha Slay & Kirby, Russell
- 165-170 Pharmacovigilance in Europe and North America: Divergent approaches
by Wiktorowicz, Mary & Lexchin, Joel & Moscou, Kathy
- 171-178 Understanding similarities in the local implementation of a healthy environment programme: Insights from policy studies
by Clavier, Carole & Gendron, Sylvie & Lamontagne, Lise & Potvin, Louise
- 179-185 Predictors of and health services utilization related to depressive symptoms among elderly Koreans
by Shin, Jin Hee & Do, Young Kyung & Maselko, Joanna & Brouwer, Rebecca J.N. & Song, Sang Wook & Østbye, Truls
- 186-192 Assessment of the sunk-cost effect in clinical decision-making
by Braverman, Jennifer A. & Blumenthal-Barby, J.S.
- 193-199 Governing the moral economy: Animal engineering, ethics and the liberal government of science
by Harvey, Alison & Salter, Brian
- 200-207 Governing at a distance: Social marketing and the (bio) politics of responsibility
by Crawshaw, Paul
- 208-216 From silence to sensitivity: A new Identity Disclosure model to facilitate disclosure for same-sex attracted women in general practice consultations
by McNair, Ruth Patricia & Hegarty, Kelsey & Taft, Angela
- 217-224 Acceptance of dying: A discourse analysis of palliative care literature
by Zimmermann, Camilla
- 225-232 Place-specific constructs of social capital and their possible associations to health: A Japanese case study
by Hanibuchi, Tomoya & Murata, Yohei & Ichida, Yukinobu & Hirai, Hiroshi & Kawachi, Ichiro & Kondo, Katsunori
- 233-239 Towards a differentiated understanding of active travel behaviour: Using social theory to explore everyday commuting
by Guell, C. & Panter, J. & Jones, N.R. & Ogilvie, D.
- 240-247 Is travel-time to a specialist centre a risk factor for non-referral, non-attendance and loss to follow-up among patients with hepatitis C (HCV) infection?
by Astell-Burt, Thomas & Flowerdew, Robin & Boyle, Paul & Dillon, John
2012, Volume 74, Issue 12
- 1843-1850 The unbearable lightness of citizens within public deliberation processes
by Lehoux, P. & Daudelin, G. & Abelson, J.
- 1856-1863 Is harm reduction profitable? An analytical framework for corporate social responsibility based on an epidemic model of addictive consumption
by Massin, Sophie
- 1864-1873 The role of family incomes in cigarette smoking: Evidence from French students
by Ben Lakhdar, Christian & Cauchie, Grégoire & Vaillant, Nicolas Gérard & Wolff, François-Charles
- 1874-1881 Supplemental nutrition assistance program and body weight outcomes: The role of economic contextual factors
by Han, Euna & Powell, Lisa M. & Isgor, Zeynep
- 1882-1890 What impact does contact with the prenatal care system have on women’s use of facility delivery? Evidence from low-income countries
by Guliani, Harminder & Sepehri, Ardeshir & Serieux, John
- 1891-1899 Social relationships and inflammatory markers: An analysis of Taiwan and the U.S
by Glei, Dana A. & Goldman, Noreen & Ryff, Carol D. & Lin, Yu-Hsuan & Weinstein, Maxine
- 1900-1910 Using quantile regression to examine the effects of inequality across the mortality distribution in the U.S. counties
by Yang, Tse-Chuan & Chen, Vivian Yi-Ju & Shoff, Carla & Matthews, Stephen A.
- 1911-1920 The length of unemployment predicts mortality, differently in men and women, and by cause of death: A six year mortality follow-up of the Swedish 1992–1996 recession
by Garcy, Anthony M. & Vågerö, Denny
- 1921-1928 Comparing the socioeconomic status – Health gradient among adults 50 and older across rural and urban areas of Thailand in 1994 and 2007
by Zimmer, Zachary & Prachuabmoh, Vipan
- 1929-1938 Healthy travel and the socio-economic structure of car commuting in Cambridge, UK: A mixed-methods analysis
by Goodman, Anna & Guell, Cornelia & Panter, Jenna & Jones, Natalia R. & Ogilvie, David
- 1939-1947 Family functioning as a mediator between neighborhood conditions and children's health: Evidence from a national survey in the United States
by Fan, Yingling & Chen, Qian
- 1948-1951 Socioeconomic status and cell aging in children
by Needham, Belinda L. & Fernandez, Jose R. & Lin, Jue & Epel, Elissa S. & Blackburn, Elizabeth H.
- 1952-1960 Social network influences on adolescent substance use: Disentangling structural equivalence from cohesion
by Fujimoto, Kayo & Valente, Thomas W.
- 1961-1967 Maternal religious attendance and low birth weight
by Burdette, Amy M. & Weeks, Janet & Hill, Terrence D. & Eberstein, Isaac W.
- 1968-1978 Decision aid tools to support women's decision making in pregnancy and birth: A systematic review and meta-analysis
by Dugas, Marylène & Shorten, Allison & Dubé, Eric & Wassef, Maggy & Bujold, Emmanuel & Chaillet, Nils
- 1979-1986 Childhood family income and life outcomes in adulthood: Findings from a 30-year longitudinal study in New Zealand
by Gibb, Sheree J. & Fergusson, David M. & Horwood, L. John
- 1987-1994 Beyond normality in the study of bereavement: Heterogeneity in depression outcomes following loss in older adults
by Galatzer-Levy, Isaac R. & Bonanno, George A.
- 1995-2004 The long-term impact of war on health and wellbeing in Northern Vietnam: Some glimpses from a recent survey
by Teerawichitchainan, Bussarawan & Korinek, Kim
- 2005-2011 Impact of war, religiosity and ideology on PTSD and psychiatric disorders in adolescents from Gaza Strip and South Lebanon
by Khamis, Vivian
- 2012-2019 Food insecurity, depression and the modifying role of social support among people living with HIV/AIDS in rural Uganda
by Tsai, Alexander C. & Bangsberg, David R. & Frongillo, Edward A. & Hunt, Peter W. & Muzoora, Conrad & Martin, Jeffrey N. & Weiser, Sheri D.
- 2020-2027 Stress associated with caregiving: An examination of the stress process model among Kenyan Luo elders
by Ice, Gillian H. & Sadruddin, Aalyia F.A. & Vagedes, Amy & Yogo, Jaja & Juma, Elizabeth
- 2028-2036 ‘Dying from’ to ‘living with’: Framing institutions and the coping processes of African American women living with HIV/AIDS
by Watkins-Hayes, Celeste & Pittman-Gay, LaShawnDa & Beaman, Jean
- 2037-2045 Pathways to care: Narratives of American Indian adolescents entering substance abuse treatment
by Novins, Douglas K. & Spicer, Paul & Fickenscher, Alexandra & Pescosolido, Bernice
- 2046-2052 Alienating evidence based medicine vs. innovative medical device marketing: A report on the evidence debate at a Wounds conference
by Madden, Mary
2012, Volume 74, Issue 11
- 1667-1674 Autism spectrum disorders: Toward a gendered embodiment model
by Cheslack-Postava, Keely & Jordan-Young, Rebecca M.
- 1675-1683 Gender, health and theory: Conceptualizing the issue, in local and world perspective
by Connell, Raewyn
- 1684-1692 Sexing the baby: Part 1 – What do we really know about sex differentiation in the first three years of life?
by Fausto-Sterling, Anne & Coll, Cynthia Garcia & Lamarre, Meghan
- 1693-1702 Sexing the baby: Part 2 applying dynamic systems theory to the emergences of sex-related differences in infants and toddlers
by Fausto-Sterling, Anne & Coll, Cynthia Garcia & Lamarre, Meaghan
- 1703-1711 The multidimensional relationship between early adult body weight and women’s childbearing experiences
by Frisco, Michelle L. & Weden, Margaret M. & Lippert, Adam M. & Burnett, Kristin D.
- 1712-1720 Women’s health, men’s health, and gender and health: Implications of intersectionality
by Hankivsky, Olena
- 1721-1728 The “new masculinity”: Addiction treatment as a reconstruction of gender in Puerto Rican evangelist street ministries
by Hansen, Helena
- 1729-1737 Sexuality and the limits of agency among South African teenage women: Theorising femininities and their connections to HIV risk practises
by Jewkes, R. & Morrell, R.
- 1738-1744 Hormones, context, and “Brain Gender”: A review of evidence from congenital adrenal hyperplasia
by Jordan-Young, Rebecca M.
- 1745-1753 The global reproductive health market: U.S. media framings and public discourses about transnational surrogacy
by Markens, Susan
- 1754-1764 Feeding her children, but risking her health: The intersection of gender, household food insecurity and obesity
by Martin, Molly A. & Lippert, Adam M.
- 1765-1773 The “knucklehead” approach and what matters in terms of health for formerly incarcerated Latino men
by Muñoz-Laboy, Miguel & Perry, Ashley & Bobet, Ilka & Bobet, Santos & Ramos, Hector & Quiñones, Francisco & Lloyd, Kaity
- 1774-1782 “They arrested me for loving a schoolgirl”: Ethnography, HIV, and a feminist assessment of the age of consent law as a gender-based structural intervention in Uganda
by Parikh, Shanti A.
- 1783-1790 Gender, health behavior, and intimate relationships: Lesbian, gay, and straight contexts
by Reczek, Corinne & Umberson, Debra
- 1791-1801 Triple jeopardy? Mental health at the intersection of gender, race, and class
by Rosenfield, Sarah
- 1802-1811 Who gains, who loses and how: Leveraging gender and class intersections to secure health entitlements
by Sen, Gita & Iyer, Aditi
- 1812-1816 Towards the inclusion of gender and sex in health research and funding: An institutional perspective
by Sharman, Zena & Johnson, Joy
- 1817-1824 Beyond a catalogue of differences: A theoretical frame and good practice guidelines for researching sex/gender in human health
by Springer, Kristen W. & Mager Stellman, Jeanne & Jordan-Young, Rebecca M.
- 1825-1832 Intersectionality and gender mainstreaming in international health: Using a feminist participatory action research process to analyse voices and debates from the global south and north
by Tolhurst, Rachel & Leach, Beryl & Price, Janet & Robinson, Jude & Ettore, Elizabeth & Scott-Samuel, Alex & Kilonzo, Nduku & Sabuni, Louis P. & Robertson, Steve & Kapilashrami, Anuj & Bristow, Katie & Lang, Raymond & Romao, Francelina & Theobald, Sally
- 1833-1841 Mississippi front-line recovery work after Hurricane Katrina: An analysis of the intersections of gender, race, and class in advocacy, power relations, and health
by Weber, Lynn & Hilfinger Messias, DeAnne K.
2012, Volume 74, Issue 10
- 1477-1485 Limits to evidence-based health policymaking: Policy hurdles to structural HIV prevention in Tanzania
by Hunsmann, Moritz
- 1486-1493 ‘Worse than HIV’ or ‘not as serious as other diseases’? Conceptualization of cervical cancer among newly screened women in Zambia
by White, Heather L. & Mulambia, Chishimba & Sinkala, Moses & Mwanahamuntu, Mulindi H. & Parham, Groesbeck P. & Moneyham, Linda & Grimley, Diane M. & Chamot, Eric
- 1494-1503 Psychosocial support intervention for HIV-affected families in Haiti: Implications for programs and policies for orphans and vulnerable children
by Smith Fawzi, Mary C. & Eustache, Eddy & Oswald, Catherine & Louis, Ermaze & Surkan, Pamela J. & Scanlan, Fiona & Hook, Sarah & Mancuso, Anna & Mukherjee, Joia S.
- 1504-1511 Interrelatedness of child health, protection and well-being: An application of the SAFE model in Rwanda
by Betancourt, Theresa S. & Williams, Timothy P. & Kellner, Sarah E. & Gebre-Medhin, Joy & Hann, Katrina & Kayiteshonga, Yvonne
- 1512-1519 HIV and tuberculosis: The construction and management of double stigma
by Daftary, Amrita
- 1520-1527 Attitudes and beliefs related to HIV/AIDS in urban religious congregations: Barriers and opportunities for HIV-related interventions
by Bluthenthal, Ricky N. & Palar, Kartika & Mendel, Peter & Kanouse, David E. & Corbin, Dennis E. & Derose, Kathryn Pitkin
- 1528-1535 ‘As a clinician, you are not managing lab results, you are managing the patient’: How the enactment of malaria at health facilities in Cameroon compares with new WHO guidelines for the use of malaria tests
by Chandler, Clare I.R. & Mangham, Lindsay & Njei, Abanda Ngu & Achonduh, Olivia & Mbacham, Wilfred F. & Wiseman, Virginia
- 1536-1543 The decision-making process of genetically at-risk couples considering preimplantation genetic diagnosis: Initial findings from a grounded theory study
by Hershberger, Patricia E. & Gallo, Agatha M. & Kavanaugh, Karen & Olshansky, Ellen & Schwartz, Alan & Tur-Kaspa, Ilan
- 1544-1551 Picturing obesity: Analyzing the social epidemiology of obesity conveyed through US news media images
by Gollust, Sarah E. & Eboh, Ijeoma & Barry, Colleen L.
- 1552-1559 ‘A real man smells of tobacco smoke’—Chinese youth's interpretation of smoking imagery in film
by Davey, Gareth & Zhao, Xiang
- 1560-1569 Trauma and suicide behaviour histories among a Canadian indigenous population: An empirical exploration of the potential role of Canada's residential school system
by Elias, Brenda & Mignone, Javier & Hall, Madelyn & Hong, Say P. & Hart, Lyna & Sareen, Jitender
- 1570-1577 Quality or quantity? Exploring the relationship between Public Open Space attributes and mental health in Perth, Western Australia
by Francis, Jacinta & Wood, Lisa J. & Knuiman, Matthew & Giles-Corti, Billie
- 1578-1583 Socioeconomic position and physical activity among women in Melbourne, Australia: Does the use of different socioeconomic indicators matter?
by Cleland, Verity & Ball, Kylie & Crawford, David
- 1584-1590 Social disorder, APOE-E4 genotype, and change in cognitive function among older adults living in Chicago
by Boardman, Jason D. & Barnes, Lisa L. & Wilson, Robert S. & Evans, Denis A. & de Leon, Carlos F. Mendes
- 1591-1601 A study of environmental influences on the well-being of individuals with psychiatric disabilities in Philadelphia, PA
by Brusilovskiy, Eugene & Salzer, Mark S.
- 1602-1609 OxyContin® as currency: OxyContin® use and increased social capital among rural Appalachian drug users
by Jonas, Adam B. & Young, April M. & Oser, Carrie B. & Leukefeld, Carl G. & Havens, Jennifer R.
- 1610-1621 Revisiting the immigrant paradox in reproductive health: The roles of duration of residence and ethnicity
by Urquia, Marcelo L. & O'Campo, Patricia J. & Heaman, Maureen I.
- 1622-1629 Health across early childhood and socioeconomic status: Examining the moderating effects of differential parenting
by Browne, Dillon T. & Jenkins, Jennifer M.
- 1630-1638 Socioeconomic disadvantage in adolescent women and metabolic syndrome in mid-adulthood: An examination of pathways of embodiment in the Northern Swedish Cohort
by Gustafsson, Per E. & Hammarström, Anne
- 1639-1643 Trust, self-rated health and mortality: A longitudinal study among ageing people in Southern Finland
by Nummela, Olli & Raivio, Risto & Uutela, Antti
- 1644-1651 The effect of differential eligibility for free GP services on GP utilisation in Ireland
by Nolan, Anne & Smith, Samantha
- 1652-1659 Residents' perceptions of effective community representation in local health decision-making
by Chung, Phillip & Grogan, Colleen M. & Mosley, Jennifer E.
2012, Volume 74, Issue 9
- 1311-1323 Vaginal practices as women's agency in Sub-Saharan Africa: A synthesis of meaning and motivation through meta-ethnography
by Martin Hilber, Adriane & Kenter, Elise & Redmond, Shelagh & Merten, Sonja & Bagnol, Brigitte & Low, Nicola & Garside, Ruth
- 1324-1330 Civil unrest and birthweight: An exploratory analysis of the 2007/2008 Kenyan Crisis
by Bell, Suzanne & Prata, Ndola & Lahiff, Maureen & Eskenazi, Brenda
- 1331-1341 Waiting times and socioeconomic status: Evidence from England
by Laudicella, Mauro & Siciliani, Luigi & Cookson, Richard
- 1342-1352 Untangling the associations among distrust, race, and neighborhood social environment: A social disorganization perspective
by Shoff, Carla & Yang, Tse-Chuan
- 1353-1361 The health implications of civic association in Russia
by Javeline, Debra & Brooks, Elizabeth
- 1362-1367 Network social capital, social participation, and physical inactivity in an urban adult population
by Legh-Jones, Hannah & Moore, Spencer
- 1368-1374 ‘On the street where you live’: Neighbourhood deprivation and quality of life among community-dwelling older people in Edinburgh, Scotland
by Mõttus, René & Gale, Catharine R. & Starr, John M. & Deary, Ian J.
- 1375-1384 Associations between perceived neighborhood environmental attributes and adults’ sedentary behavior: Findings from the USA, Australia and Belgium
by Van Dyck, Delfien & Cerin, Ester & Conway, Terry L. & De Bourdeaudhuij, Ilse & Owen, Neville & Kerr, Jacqueline & Cardon, Greet & Frank, Lawrence D. & Saelens, Brian E. & Sallis, James F.
- 1385-1393 Does SES explain more of the black/white health gap than we thought? Revisiting our approach toward understanding racial disparities in health
by Do, D. Phuong & Frank, Reanne & Finch, Brian Karl
- 1394-1401 Individual- and area-level unemployment influence smoking cessation among African Americans participating in a randomized clinical trial
by Kendzor, Darla E. & Reitzel, Lorraine R. & Mazas, Carlos A. & Cofta-Woerpel, Ludmila M. & Cao, Yumei & Ji, Lingyun & Costello, Tracy J. & Vidrine, Jennifer Irvin & Businelle, Michael S. & Li, Yisheng & Castro, Yessenia & Ahluwalia, Jasjit S. & Cinciripini, Paul M. & Wetter, David W.
- 1402-1406 Does the association between smoking and mortality differ by educational level?
by Charafeddine, Rana & Van Oyen, Herman & Demarest, Stefaan
- 1407-1417 Social integration in friendship networks: The synergy of network structure and peer influence in relation to cigarette smoking among high risk adolescents
by Lakon, Cynthia M. & Valente, Thomas W.
- 1418-1425 Tracing the origins of successful aging: The role of childhood conditions and social inequality in explaining later life health
by Brandt, Martina & Deindl, Christian & Hank, Karsten
- 1426-1434 Fiscal decentralisation and infant mortality rate: The Colombian case
by Soto, Victoria Eugenia & Farfan, Maria Isabel & Lorant, Vincent
- 1435-1443 Risk and protective factors for depression symptoms among children affected by HIV/AIDS in rural China: A structural equation modeling analysis
by Wang, Bo & Li, Xiaoming & Barnett, Douglas & Zhao, Guoxiang & Zhao, Junfeng & Stanton, Bonita
- 1444-1451 Longitudinal effects of health-harming and health-protective behaviors within adolescent romantic dyads
by Aalsma, Matthew C. & Carpentier, Melissa Y. & Azzouz, Faouzi & Fortenberry, J. Dennis
- 1452-1460 Adolescent expectations of early death predict young adult socioeconomic status
by Nguyen, Quynh C. & Hussey, Jon M. & Halpern, Carolyn T. & Villaveces, Andres & Marshall, Stephen W. & Siddiqi, Arjumand & Poole, Charles
- 1461-1468 Does attachment insecurity affect the outcomes of a multidisciplinary pain management program? The association between attachment insecurity, pain, disability, distress, and the use of opioids
by Andersen, Tonny Elmose
2012, Volume 74, Issue 8
- 1146-1154 Subjective social status and psychosocial and metabolic risk factors for cardiovascular disease among African Americans in the Jackson Heart Study
by Subramanyam, Malavika A. & Diez-Roux, Ana V. & Hickson, DeMarc A. & Sarpong, Daniel F. & Sims, Mario & Taylor, Herman A. & Williams, David R. & Wyatt, Sharon B.
- 1155-1162 Beyond the barriers: Racial discrimination and use of complementary and alternative medicine among Black Americans
by Shippee, Tetyana Pylypiv & Schafer, Markus H. & Ferraro, Kenneth F.
- 1163-1171 Internal displacement and health among the Palestinian minority in Israel
by Daoud, Nihaya & Shankardass, Ketan & O’Campo, Patricia & Anderson, Kim & Agbaria, Ayman K.
- 1172-1179 Gender-based violence and socioeconomic inequalities: Does living in more deprived neighbourhoods increase women’s risk of intimate partner violence?
by Kiss, Ligia & Schraiber, Lilia Blima & Heise, Lori & Zimmerman, Cathy & Gouveia, Nelson & Watts, Charlotte
- 1180-1192 A photovoice documentation of the role of neighborhood physical and social environments in older adults’ physical activity in two metropolitan areas in North America
by Mahmood, Atiya & Chaudhury, Habib & Michael, Yvonne L. & Campo, Michael & Hay, Kara & Sarte, Ann
- 1193-1203 The role of local food availability in explaining obesity risk among young school-aged children
by Lee, Helen
- 1204-1212 Do neighborhoods affect individual mortality? A systematic review and meta-analysis of multilevel studies
by Meijer, Mathias & Röhl, Jeannette & Bloomfield, Kim & Grittner, Ulrike
- 1213-1223 Mortality differences between the foreign-born and locally-born population in France (2004–2007)
by Boulogne, Roxane & Jougla, Eric & Breem, Yves & Kunst, Anton E. & Rey, Grégoire
- 1224-1231 Are recessions really good for your health? Evidence from Canada
by Ariizumi, Hideki & Schirle, Tammy
- 1232-1239 Spatial modeling of households’ knowledge about arsenic pollution in Bangladesh
by Sarker, M. Mizanur Rahman
- 1240-1250 Neighborhood drug markets: A risk environment for bacterial sexually transmitted infections among urban youth
by Jennings, Jacky M. & Taylor, Ralph B. & Salhi, Rama A. & Furr-Holden, C. Debra M. & Ellen, Jonathan M.
- 1251-1260 Addiction, agency, and the politics of self-control: Doing harm reduction in a heroin users’ group
by Gowan, Teresa & Whetstone, Sarah & Andic, Tanja
- 1261-1268 Adapting the minority stress model: Associations between gender non-conformity stigma, HIV-related stigma and depression among men who have sex with men in South India
by Logie, Carmen H. & Newman, Peter A. & Chakrapani, Venkatesan & Shunmugam, Murali
- 1269-1273 Graphic warning labels on plain cigarette packs: Will they make a difference to adolescents?
by McCool, Judith & Webb, Lisa & Cameron, Linda D. & Hoek, Janet
- 1274-1281 Frames and counter-frames giving meaning to dementia: A framing analysis of media content
by Van Gorp, Baldwin & Vercruysse, Tom
- 1282-1287 Medical end-of-life decisions: Does its use differ in vulnerable patient groups? A systematic review and meta-analysis
by Rietjens, Judith A.C. & Deschepper, Reginald & Pasman, Roeline & Deliens, Luc
- 1288-1296 Community mobilization to reduce postpartum hemorrhage in home births in northern Nigeria
by Prata, Ndola & Ejembi, Clara & Fraser, Ashley & Shittu, Oladapo & Minkler, Meredith
- 1297-1304 Knowledge mobilisation in healthcare: A critical review of health sector and generic management literature
by Ferlie, Ewan & Crilly, Tessa & Jashapara, Ashok & Peckham, Anna
- 1305-1309 Assessing public attitudes on the retention and use of residual newborn screening blood samples: A focus group study
by Rothwell, Erin & Anderson, Rebecca & Goldenberg, Aaron & Lewis, Michelle H. & Stark, Louisa & Burbank, Matthew & Wong, Bob & Botkin, Jeffrey R.
2012, Volume 74, Issue 7
- 949-957 Psychological pathways linking social support to health outcomes: A visit with the “ghosts” of research past, present, and future
by Uchino, Bert N. & Bowen, Kimberly & Carlisle, McKenzie & Birmingham, Wendy
- 958-965 Stress and health-related well-being among mothers with a low birth weight infant: The role of sleep
by Lee, Shih-Yu & Hsu, Hui-Chin
- 966-972 To have or not to have another child: Life cycle, health and cost considerations of Ghanaian women
by Kodzi, Ivy A. & Johnson, David R. & Casterline, John B.
- 973-981 The impact of birthplace on women’s birth experiences and perceptions of care
by Overgaard, Charlotte & Fenger-Grøn, Morten & Sandall, Jane
- 982-988 Decreased births among black female adolescents following school desegregation
by Liu, Sze Yan & Linkletter, Crystal D. & Loucks, Eric B. & Glymour, M. Maria & Buka, Stephen L.
- 989-996 Encouraging maternal health service utilization: An evaluation of the Bangladesh voucher program
by Nguyen, Ha T.H. & Hatt, Laurel & Islam, Mursaleena & Sloan, Nancy L. & Chowdhury, Jamil & Schmidt, Jean-Olivier & Hossain, Atia & Wang, Hong
- 997-1004 Interpretations of informed choice in antenatal screening: A cross-cultural, Q-methodology study
by Ahmed, Shenaz & Bryant, Louise D. & Tizro, Zahra & Shickle, Darren
- 1005-1012 “Because he has bought for her, he wants to sleep with her”: Alcohol as a currency for sexual exchange in South African drinking venues
by Watt, Melissa H. & Aunon, Frances M. & Skinner, Donald & Sikkema, Kathleen J. & Kalichman, Seth C. & Pieterse, Desiree
- 1013-1020 “I'm too used to it”: A longitudinal qualitative study of third year female medical students' experiences of gendered encounters in medical education
by Babaria, Palav & Abedin, Sakena & Berg, David & Nunez-Smith, Marcella
- 1021-1028 Disciplined doctors: The electronic medical record and physicians' changing relationship to medical knowledge
by Reich, Adam
- 1029-1036 Medical pluralism and medical marginality: Bone doctors and the selective legitimation of therapeutic expertise in India
by Lambert, Helen
- 1037-1044 The ambivalence of stigma and the double-edged sword of HIV/AIDS intervention in Burkina Faso
by Gausset, Quentin & Mogensen, Hanne Overgaard & Yameogo, Wambi Maurice Evariste & Berthé, Abdramane & Konaté, Blahima
- 1045-1052 ‘Everybody is moving on’: Infertility, relationality and the aesthetics of family among British-Pakistani Muslims
by Hampshire, Katherine R. & Blell, Mwenza T. & Simpson, Bob
- 1053-1061 Is parental socio-economic status related to the initiation of substance abuse by young people in an English city? An event history analysis
by Sutherland, Alex
- 1062-1072 Effects of length of stay and language proficiency on health care experiences among Immigrants in Canada and the United States
by Lebrun, Lydie A.
- 1073-1081 Obesity, SES, and economic development: A test of the reversal hypothesis
by Pampel, Fred C. & Denney, Justin T. & Krueger, Patrick M.
- 1082-1090 Place matters: Neighborhood deprivation and cardiometabolic risk factors in the Diabetes Study of Northern California (DISTANCE)
by Laraia, Barbara A. & Karter, Andrew J. & Warton, E. Margaret & Schillinger, Dean & Moffet, Howard H. & Adler, Nancy
- 1091-1098 Income inequality and self-rated health in Stockholm, Sweden: A test of the ‘income inequality hypothesis’ on two levels of aggregation
by Rostila, Mikael & Kölegård, Maria L. & Fritzell, Johan
- 1099-1106 Multilevel analysis of income, income inequalities and health in Spain
by Karlsdotter, Kristina & Martín Martín, José J. & López del Amo González, M. Puerto
- 1107-1116 Marital dissolution and self-rated health: Age trajectories and birth cohort variations
by Liu, Hui
- 1117-1124 Comparing self-rated health and self-assessed change in health in a longitudinal survey: Which is more valid?
by Gunasekara, Fiona Imlach & Carter, Kristie & Blakely, Tony
- 1125-1129 Aspirin use and cardiovascular events in social networks
by Strully, Kate W. & Fowler, James H. & Murabito, Joanne M. & Benjamin, Emelia J. & Levy, Daniel & Christakis, Nicholas A.
- 1130-1138 Project-induced displacement, secondary stressors, and health
by Cao, Yue & Hwang, Sean-Shong & Xi, Juan
2012, Volume 74, Issue 6
- 812-821 How is health-related “deservingness” reckoned? Perspectives from unauthorized im/migrants in Tel Aviv
by Willen, Sarah S.
- 822-829 Beyond welfare reform: Reframing undocumented immigrants’ entitlement to health care in the United States, a critical review
by Viladrich, Anahí
- 830-838 “Over-Foreignization” or “Unused Potential”? A critical review of migrant health in Germany and responses toward unauthorized migration
by Castañeda, Heide
- 839-845 Medical humanitarianism, human rights and political advocacy: The case of the Israeli Open Clinic
by Gottlieb, Nora & Filc, Dani & Davidovitch, Nadav
- 846-854 Deserving to a point: Unauthorized immigrants in San Francisco’s universal access healthcare model
by Marrow, Helen B.
- 858-863 Intangible obstacles: Health implications of stigmatization, structural violence, and fear among undocumented immigrants in France
by Larchanché, Stéphanie
- 864-872 Exploitation, vulnerability to tuberculosis and access to treatment among Uzbek labor migrants in Kazakhstan
by Huffman, Samantha A. & Veen, Jaap & Hennink, Monique M. & McFarland, Deborah A.
- 873-881 The clinical gaze in the practice of migrant health: Mexican migrants in the United States
by Holmes, Seth M.
- 882-886 Deservingness to state health services for South–South migrants: A preliminary study of Costa Rican providers’ views
by Goldade, Kate & Okuyemi, Kolawole S.
- 887-893 Undocumented immigrants and their use of medical services in Orange County, California
by Chavez, Leo R.
- 897-906 The impact of migration in all-cause mortality: The Turin Longitudinal Study, 1971–2005
by Rasulo, Domenica & Spadea, Teresa & Onorati, Roberta & Costa, Giuseppe
- 907-914 Loneliness, health, and mortality in old age: A national longitudinal study
by Luo, Ye & Hawkley, Louise C. & Waite, Linda J. & Cacioppo, John T.
- 915-922 Stereotypes of mental disorders differ in competence and warmth
by Sadler, Melody S. & Meagor, Elizabeth L. & Kaye, Kimberly E.
- 923-929 Socioeconomic status and the development of depressive symptoms from childhood to adulthood: A longitudinal analysis across 27 years of follow-up in the Young Finns study
by Elovainio, Marko & Pulkki-Råback, Laura & Jokela, Markus & Kivimäki, Mika & Hintsanen, Mirka & Hintsa, Taina & Viikari, Jorma & Raitakari, Olli T. & Keltikangas-Järvinen, Liisa
- 930-939 Social determinants of health – A question of social or economic capital? Interaction effects of socioeconomic factors on health outcomes
by Ahnquist, Johanna & Wamala, Sarah P. & Lindstrom, Martin
- 940-947 Community Health Workers in Brazil’s Unified Health System: A framework of their praxis and contributions to patient health behaviors
by Pinto, Rogério M. & da Silva, Sueli Bulhões & Soriano, Rafaela
2012, Volume 74, Issue 5
- 688-695 Economic growth and health progress in England and Wales: 160 years of a changing relation
by Tapia Granados, José A.