Social Science & Medicine
2011, Volume 72, Issue 2
- 206-215 Ageing and disability: Job satisfaction differentials across Europe
by Pagan, Ricardo
- 216-223 Utilization of HIV-related services from the private health sector: A multi-country analysis
by Wang, Wenjuan & Sulzbach, Sara & De, Susna
- 224-229 Socioeconomic inequalities in the diffusion of health technology: Uptake of coronary procedures as an example
by Korda, Rosemary J. & Clements, Mark S. & Dixon, Jane
- 230-237 Limited English proficient Asian Americans: Threshold language policy and access to mental health treatment
by Snowden, Lonnie R. & Masland, Mary C. & Peng, Carol J. & Wei-Mien Lou, Christine & Wallace, Neal T.
- 238-246 The role of leader behaviors in hospital-based emergency departments' unit performance and employee work satisfaction
by Yen-Ju Lin, Blossom & Hsu, Chung-Ping C. & Juan, Chi-Wen & Lin, Cheng-Chieh & Lin, Hung-Jung & Chen, Jih-Chang
- 247-255 Referral to and attitude towards traditional Chinese medicine amongst western medical doctors in postcolonial Hong Kong
by Chung, Vincent C.H. & Hillier, Sheila & Lau, Chun Hong & Wong, Samuel Y.S. & Yeoh, Eng Kiong & Griffiths, Sian M.
- 256-264 "So We Adapt Step by Step": Acculturation experiences affecting diabetes management and perceived health for Chinese American immigrants
by Chun, Kevin M. & Chesla, Catherine A. & Kwan, Christine M.L.
- 265-272 Boundaries and risk: Media framing of assisted reproductive technologies and older mothers
by Campbell, Patricia
- 273-282 Food security and humanitarian assistance among displaced Iraqi populations in Jordan and Syria
by Doocy, Shannon & Sirois, Adam & Anderson, Jamie & Tileva, Margarita & Biermann, Elizabeth & Storey, J. Douglas & Burnham, Gilbert
- 283-290 Young people living with parental bereavement: Insights from an ethnographic study of a UK childhood bereavement service
by Brewer, Joanne D. & Sparkes, Andrew C.
- 291-298 Effects of social integration on health: A prospective study of community engagement among African American women
by Fothergill, Kate E. & Ensminger, Margaret E. & Robertson, Judy & Green, Kerry M. & Thorpe, Roland J. & Juon, Hee-Soon
- 299-306 Does social trust at school affect students' smoking and drinking behavior in Japan?
by Takakura, Minoru
- 307-315 Do biological measures mediate the relationship between education and health: A comparative study
by Goldman, Noreen & Turra, Cassio M. & Rosero-Bixby, Luis & Weir, David & Crimmins, Eileen
2011, Volume 72, Issue 1
- 1-2 Major reductions in global suicide numbers can be made rapidly through pesticide regulation without the need for psychosocial interventions
by Eddleston, Michael & Bateman, D. Nicholas
- 3-5 Pesticides, paracetamol and psychosocial interventions: A reply to a commentary on Florentine and Crane
by Florentine, Julia B. & Crane, Catherine
- 6-14 Ironic technology: Old age and the implantable cardioverter defibrillator in US health care
by Kaufman, Sharon R. & Mueller, Paul S. & Ottenberg, Abigale L. & Koenig, Barbara A.
- 15-22 The construction of ethnic differences in work incapacity risks: Analysing ordering practices of physicians in the Netherlands
by Meershoek, Agnes & Krumeich, Anja & Vos, Rein
- 23-30 Accessing the field: Disability and the research process
by Brown, Lindsey & Boardman, Felicity K.
- 31-38 Unpacking capacity to utilize research: A tale of the Burkina Faso public health association
by Hamel, Nadia & Schrecker, Ted
- 39-48 Health sector decentralization and local decision-making: Decision space, institutional capacities and accountability in Pakistan
by Bossert, Thomas John & Mitchell, Andrew David
- 49-53 How will e-health affect patient participation in the clinic? A review of e-health studies and the current evidence for changes in the relationship between medical professionals and patients
by Dedding, Christine & van Doorn, Roesja & Winkler, Lex & Reis, Ria
- 54-62 Internet peer support for individuals with psychiatric disabilities: A randomized controlled trial
by Kaplan, Katy & Salzer, Mark S. & Solomon, Phyllis & Brusilovskiy, Eugene & Cousounis, Pamela
- 63-71 Effectiveness of a video-based motivational skills-building HIV risk-reduction intervention for female military personnel
by Essien, E. James & Mgbere, Osaro & Monjok, Emmanuel & Ekong, Ernest & Holstad, Marcia M. & Kalichman, Seth C.
- 72-82 Examining the association of abortion history and current mental health: A reanalysis of the National Comorbidity Survey using a common-risk-factors model
by Steinberg, Julia R. & Finer, Lawrence B.
- 83-90 Predictors of alcohol use prior to pregnancy recognition among township women in Cape Town, South Africa
by O'Connor, Mary J. & Tomlinson, Mark & LeRoux, Ingrid M. & Stewart, Jacqueline & Greco, Erin & Rotheram-Borus, Mary Jane
- 91-99 "When you got nothing to do, you do somebody": A community's perceptions of neighborhood effects on adolescent sexual behaviors
by Akers, Aletha Y. & Muhammad, Melvin R. & Corbie-Smith, Giselle
- 100-107 Do early-life conditions predict functional health status in adulthood? The case of Mexico
by Huang, Cheng & Soldo, Beth J. & Elo, Irma T.
- 108-115 Inequalities in childhood cancer mortality according to parental socioeconomic position: A birth cohort study in South Korea
by Son, Mia & Kim, Jongoh & Oh, Juhwan & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 116-123 A longitudinal analysis of the relationship between changes in socio-economic status and changes in health
by Halleröd, Björn & Gustafsson, Jan-Eric
2010, Volume 71, Issue 12
- 2047-2048 An appreciation of Mildred Blaxter, 1925-2010
by Macintyre, Sally
- 2049-2056 Effects of child health on housing in the urban U.S
by Curtis, Marah A. & Corman, Hope & Noonan, Kelly & Reichman, Nancy E.
- 2057-2065 Are local health department expenditures related to racial disparities in mortality?
by Grembowski, David & Bekemeier, Betty & Conrad, Douglas & Kreuter, William
- 2066-2073 Mortality and business cycles by level of development: Evidence from Mexico
by Gonzalez, Fidel & Quast, Troy
- 2074-2082 Demand for voluntary health insurance in developing countries: The case of Vietnam's school-age children and adolescent student health insurance program
by Nguyen, Ha & Knowles, James
- 2083-2090 Economic fluctuations and suicide: A comparison of Taiwan and Hong Kong
by Chen, Ying-Yeh & Yip, Paul S.F. & Lee, Carmen & Fan, Hsiang-Fang & Fu, King-Wa
- 2091-2099 Sex differences in physical and mental functioning of Japanese civil servants: Explanations from work and family characteristics
by Sekine, Michikazu & Chandola, Tarani & Martikainen, Pekka & Marmot, Michael & Kagamimori, Sadanobu
- 2100-2107 What does "occupation" represent as an indicator of socioeconomic status?: Exploring occupational prestige and health
by Fujishiro, Kaori & Xu, Jun & Gong, Fang
- 2108-2116 Metropolitan isolation segregation and Black-White disparities in very preterm birth: A test of mediating pathways and variance explained
by Kramer, Michael R. & Cooper, Hannah L. & Drews-Botsch, Carolyn D. & Waller, Lance A. & Hogue, Carol R.
- 2117-2129 The geography of institutional psychiatric care in France 1800-2000: Historical analysis of the spatial diffusion of specialised facilities for institutional care of mental illness
by Coldefy, Magali & Curtis, Sarah E.
- 2130-2140 Employment relations, social class and health: A review and analysis of conceptual and measurement alternatives
by Muntaner, Carles & Borrell, Carme & Vanroelen, Christophe & Chung, Haejoo & Benach, Joan & Kim, Il Ho & Ng, Edwin
- 2141-2149 Inventory and analysis of definitions of social participation found in the aging literature: Proposed taxonomy of social activities
by Levasseur, Mélanie & Richard, Lucie & Gauvin, Lise & Raymond, Émilie
- 2150-2161 Correlates and consequences of internalized stigma for people living with mental illness: A systematic review and meta-analysis
by Livingston, James D. & Boyd, Jennifer E.
- 2162-2169 Chinese and American employers' perspectives regarding hiring people with behaviorally driven health conditions: The role of stigma
by Corrigan, Patrick W. & Tsang, Hector W.H. & Shi, Kan & Lam, Chow S. & Larson, Jon
- 2170-2177 Experience of human rights violations and subsequent mental disorders - A study following the war in the Balkans
by Priebe, Stefan & Bogic, Marija & Ashcroft, Richard & Franciskovic, Tanja & Galeazzi, Gian Maria & Kucukalic, Abdulah & Lecic-Tosevski, Dusica & Morina, Nexhmedin & Popovski, Mihajlo & Roughton, Michael & Schützwohl, Matthias & Ajdukovic, Dean
- 2178-2186 The gendered experience of stigmatization in severe and persistent mental illness in Lima, Peru
by Robillard, Chantal
- 2187-2194 Precarious spaces: Risk, responsibility and uncertainty in school-based suicide prevention programs
by White, Jennifer & Morris, Jonathan
- 2195-2203 Medical training as adventure-wonder and adventure-ordeal: A dialogical analysis of affect-laden pedagogy
by Madill, Anne & Sullivan, Paul
- 2204-2211 Fresh or frozen? Classifying 'spare' embryos for donation to human embryonic stem cell research
by Ehrich, Kathryn & Williams, Clare & Farsides, Bobbie
- 2212-2218 Experiences of, and attitudes towards, pregnancy and fatherhood amongst incarcerated young male offenders: Findings from a qualitative study
by Buston, Katie Margaret
- 2219-2219 Special issue call for papers: Challenges of changing health behaviours
by Aboud, Frances
2010, Volume 71, Issue 11
- 1897-1900 Virtual special issue introduction: Health behaviour change
by Aboud, Frances E.
- 1901-1909 Impacts of a support intervention for low-income women who smoke
by Stewart, Miriam J. & Kushner, Kaysi Eastlick & Greaves, Lorraine & Letourneau, Nicole & Spitzer, Denise & Boscoe, Madeline
- 1910-1912 The value of more information: A commentary on Stewart et al
by Lillard, Dean R.
- 1913-1915 Participatory pilot interventions for vulnerable populations: A response to Lillard
by Stewart, Miriam J. & Letourneau, Nicole L. & Kushner, Kaysi E.
- 1916-1920 An RCT study to evaluate a targeted, theory driven healthy eating leaflet
by Baker, Holly J. & Butler, Laurie T. & Chambers, Stephanie A. & Traill, W. Bruce & Lobb, Alexandra E. & Herbert, Georgia
- 1921-1926 Factors associated with partner referral among patients with sexually transmitted infections in Bangladesh
by Alam, Nazmul & Streatfield, Peter Kim & Khan, Sharful Islam & Momtaz, Dalia & Kristensen, Sibylle & Vermund, Sten H.
- 1927-1934 A life-cycle approach to the analysis of the relationship between social capital and health in Britain
by Borgonovi, Francesca
- 1935-1942 Do the wealthy have a health advantage? Cardiovascular disease risk factors and wealth
by Hajat, A. & Kaufman, J.S. & Rose, K.M. & Siddiqi, A. & Thomas, J.C.
- 1943-1950 Neighborhoods, daily activities, and measuring health risks experienced in urban environments
by Basta, Luke A. & Richmond, Therese S. & Wiebe, Douglas J.
- 1951-1957 Scottish mortality rates 2000-2002 by deprivation and small area population mobility
by Brown, Denise & Leyland, Alastair H.
- 1958-1963 National female literacy, individual socio-economic status, and maternal health care use in sub-Saharan Africa
by McTavish, Sarah & Moore, Spencer & Harper, Sam & Lynch, John
- 1964-1972 Income-related health inequalities in the Nordic countries: Examining the role of education, occupational class, and age
by Huijts, Tim & Eikemo, Terje Andreas & Skalická, Vera
- 1973-1980 Reducing child malnutrition in Nigeria: Combined effects of income growth and provision of information about mothers' access to health care services
by Agee, Mark D.
- 1981-1988 Do self-perceived health changes predict longevity?
by Erdogan-Ciftci, Esen & van Doorslaer, Eddy & Bago d'Uva, Teresa & van Lenthe, Frank
- 1989-1996 Extending transaction cost economics: Towards a synthesised approach for analysing contracting in health care markets with experience from the Australian private sector
by Donato, Ronald
- 1997-2004 Integrated care in the emergency department: A complex adaptive systems perspective
by Nugus, Peter & Carroll, Katherine & Hewett, David G. & Short, Alison & Forero, Roberto & Braithwaite, Jeffrey
- 2005-2013 Discursive gaps in the implementation of public health policy guidelines in India: The case of HIV testing
by Sheikh, Kabir & Porter, John
- 2014-2019 Increasing supply of dentists induces their geographic diffusion in contrast with physicians in Japan
by Toyokawa, Satoshi & Kobayashi, Yasuki
- 2020-2027 Urban-rural differences in dental caries of 5-year old children in Scotland
by Levin, Kate A. & Davies, Carolyn A. & Douglas, Gail V.A. & Pitts, Nigel B.
- 2028-2037 False hope: Effects of social class and health policy on oral health inequalities for migrant farmworker families
by Castañeda, Heide & Carrion, Iraida V. & Kline, Nolan & Tyson, Dinorah Martinez
- 2038-2045 Birth choices in Timor-Leste: A framework for understanding the use of maternal health services in low resource settings
by Wild, Kayli & Barclay, Lesley & Kelly, Paul & Martins, Nelson
- 2046-2046 Corrigendum to: "Suicide prevention by limiting access to methods: A review of theory and practice" [Social Science & Medicine, 70, (2010), 1626-1632]
by Florentine, Julia Buus & Crane, Catherine
2010, Volume 71, Issue 10
- 1703-1710 Joining-up thinking: Loss in childbearing from inter-disciplinary perspectives
by de Kok, Bregje & Hussein, Julia & Jeffery, Patricia
- 1711-1718 Only when the boat has started sinking: A maternal death in rural north India
by Jeffery, Patricia & Jeffery, Roger
- 1719-1727 Confronting maternal mortality, controlling birth in Nepal: The gendered politics of receiving biomedical care at birth
by Brunson, Jan
- 1728-1738 A lost cause? Extending verbal autopsy to investigate biomedical and socio-cultural causes of maternal death in Burkina Faso and Indonesia
by D'Ambruoso, Lucia & Byass, Peter & Qomariyah, Siti Nurul & Ouédraogo, Moctar
- 1739-1748 Assessing and understanding quality of care in a labour ward: A pilot study combining clinical and social science perspectives in Gondar, Ethiopia
by Pitchforth, Emma & Lilford, Richard J. & Kebede, Yigzaw & Asres, Getahun & Stanford, Charlotte & Frost, Jodie
- 1749-1756 Beyond body counts: A qualitative study of lives and loss in Burkina Faso after 'near-miss' obstetric complications
by Storeng, Katerini Tagmatarchi & Murray, Susan F. & Akoum, Mélanie S. & Ouattara, Fatoumata & Filippi, Véronique
- 1757-1763 Loss in childbearing among Gambia's kanyalengs: Using a stratified reproduction framework to expand the scope of sexual and reproductive health
by Hough, Carolyn A.
- 1764-1772 "These are not good things for other people to know": How rural Tanzanian women's experiences of pregnancy loss and early neonatal death may impact survey data quality
by Haws, Rachel A. & Mashasi, Irene & Mrisho, Mwifadhi & Schellenberg, Joanna Armstrong & Darmstadt, Gary L. & Winch, Peter J.
- 1773-1779 Marginal matters: Pregnancy loss as a social event
by van der Sijpt, Erica
- 1780-1787 Health seeking behaviour of childless women in Bangladesh: An ethnographic exploration for the special issue on: Loss in child bearing
by Nahar, Papreen
- 1788-1795 Linking two opposites of pregnancy loss: Induced abortion and infertility in Yoruba society, Nigeria
by Koster, Winny
- 1796-1803 How children and young people construct and negotiate living with medical technology
by Kirk, Susan
- 1804-1810 "So we started talking about a beach in Barbados": Visualization practices and needle phobia
by Andrews, Gavin J. & Shaw, David
- 1811-1818 Do patient autonomy preferences matter? Linking patient-centered care to patient-physician relationships and health outcomes
by Lee, Yin-Yang & Lin, Julia L.
- 1819-1830 Can we explain increases in young people's psychological distress over time?
by Sweeting, Helen & West, Patrick & Young, Robert & Der, Geoff
- 1831-1838 Marital status and gender differences in managing a chronic illness: The function of health-related social control
by August, Kristin J. & Sorkin, Dara H.
- 1839-1846 Translating HIV interventions into practice: Community-based organizations' experiences with the diffusion of effective behavioral interventions (DEBIs)
by Margaret Dolcini, M. & Gandelman, Alice A. & Vogan, Stacy A. & Kong, Carol & Leak, Tia-Nicole & King, A.J. & DeSantis, Linda & O'Leary, Ann
- 1847-1854 Adversities in childhood and adult psychopathology in the South Africa Stress and Health Study: Associations with first-onset DSM-IV disorders
by Slopen, Natalie & Williams, David R. & Seedat, Soraya & Moomal, Hashim & Herman, Allen & Stein, Dan J.
- 1855-1863 Spirituality within the family and the prevention of health risk behavior among adolescents in Bangkok, Thailand
by Chamratrithirong, Aphichat & Miller, Brenda A. & Byrnes, Hilary F. & Rhucharoenpornpanich, Orratai & Cupp, Pamela K. & Rosati, Michael J. & Fongkaew, Warunee & Atwood, Katharine A. & Chookhare, Warunee
- 1864-1871 Socioeconomic variation in the impact of obesity on health-related quality of life
by Minet Kinge, Jonas & Morris, Stephen
- 1872-1881 Examining cost variation across hospital departments-a two-stage multi-level approach using patient-level data
by Laudicella, Mauro & Olsen, Kim Rose & Street, Andrew
- 1882-1889 Estimating the additional cost of disability: Beyond budget standards
by Wilkinson-Meyers, Laura & Brown, Paul & McNeill, Robert & Patston, Philip & Dylan, Sacha & Baker, Ronelle
- 1890-1895 Measurement challenges of informal caregiving: A novel measurement method applied to a cohort of palliative care patients
by Dumont, Serge & Jacobs, Philip & Turcotte, Véronique & Anderson, Donna & Harel, François
2010, Volume 71, Issue 9
- 1537-1540 Virtual special issue introduction: Public participation in health policy in high income countries - A review of why, who, what, which, and where?
by Tenbensel, Tim
- 1541-1547 Configuring users of cholesterol lowering foods: A review of biomedical discourse
by Weiner, Kate
- 1548-1556 Cancergazing? CA125 and post-treatment surveillance in advanced ovarian cancer
by Jordens, Christopher F.C. & Morrell, Bronwen & Harnett, Paul & Hobbs, Kim & Mason, Catherine & Kerridge, Ian H.
- 1557-1566 Looking upstream to understand low back pain and return to work: Psychosocial factors as the product of system issues
by Soklaridis, Sophie & Ammendolia, Carlo & Cassidy, David
- 1567-1575 Young women facing multiple and intersecting stressors of modernity, gender orders and youth
by Wiklund, Maria & Bengs, Carita & Malmgren-Olsson, Eva-Britt & Öhman, Ann
- 1576-1583 "I feel like half my body is clogged up": Lay models of stroke in Central Aceh, Indonesia
by Norris, Meriel & Allotey, Pascale & Barrett, Geraldine
- 1584-1592 Social networks and contraception practice of women in rural Bangladesh
by Gayen, Kaberi & Raeside, Robert
- 1593-1600 Knowledge, legitimacy and economic practice in informal markets for medicine: A critical review of research
by Cross, Jamie & MacGregor, Hayley Nan
- 1601-1609 Social venues that protect against and promote HIV risk for young men in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
by Yamanis, Thespina J. & Maman, Suzanne & Mbwambo, Jessie K. & Earp, Jo Anne E. & Kajula, Lusajo J.
- 1610-1619 Migration-related health inequalities: Showing the complex interactions between gender, social class and place of origin
by Malmusi, Davide & Borrell, Carme & Benach, Joan
- 1620-1626 From places to flows. International secondary migration and birth outcomes
by Urquia, Marcelo L. & Frank, John W. & Glazier, Richard H.
- 1627-1635 The availability of community ties predicts likelihood of peer referral for mammography: Geographic constraints on viral marketing
by Southwell, Brian G. & Slater, Jonathan S. & Rothman, Alexander J. & Friedenberg, Laura M. & Allison, Tiffany R. & Nelson, Christina L.
- 1636-1643 Characterizing self-rated health during a period of changing health status
by Perruccio, Anthony V. & Badley, Elizabeth M. & Hogg-Johnson, Sheilah & Davis, Aileen M.
- 1644-1652 Social inequalities in childhood dental caries: The convergent roles of stress, bacteria and disadvantage
by Boyce, W. Thomas & Den Besten, Pamela K. & Stamperdahl, Juliet & Zhan, Ling & Jiang, Yebin & Adler, Nancy E. & Featherstone, John D.
- 1653-1661 Exploring the associations between intimate partner violence and women's mental health: Evidence from a population-based study in Paraguay
by Ishida, Kanako & Stupp, Paul & Melian, Mercedes & Serbanescu, Florina & Goodwin, Mary
- 1662-1668 Does volunteering moderate the relation between functional limitations and mortality?
by Okun, Morris A. & August, Kristin J. & Rook, Karen S. & Newsom, Jason T.
- 1669-1676 Mediating processes in bereavement: The role of rumination, threatening grief interpretations, and deliberate grief avoidance
by van der Houwen, Karolijne & Stroebe, Margaret & Schut, Henk & Stroebe, Wolfgang & Bout, Jan van den
- 1677-1682 A policy case study of blood in Australia
by Graves, Nicholas & Clare, Gina & Haines, Mary & Bird, Robert
- 1683-1686 Overcoming gendered and professional hierarchies in order to facilitate escalation of care in emergency situations: The role of standardised communication protocols
by Mackintosh, Nicola & Sandall, Jane
- 1687-1691 Moral distress experienced by health care professionals who provide home-based palliative care
by Brazil, Kevin & Kassalainen, Sharon & Ploeg, Jenny & Marshall, Denise
- 1692-1701 The influence of organizational context on quality improvement and patient safety efforts in infection prevention: A multi-center qualitative study
by Krein, Sarah L. & Damschroder, Laura J. & Kowalski, Christine P. & Forman, Jane & Hofer, Timothy P. & Saint, Sanjay
2010, Volume 71, Issue 8
- 1375-1378 Culture, status and context in community health worker pay: Pitfalls and opportunities for policy research. A commentary on Glenton et al. (2010)
by Maes, Kenneth C. & Kohrt, Brandon A. & Closser, Svea
- 1379-1380 Should we care what policy makers think? A response to Maes, Kohrt and Closser
by Glenton, Claire & Scheel, Inger B. & Pradhan, Sabina & Lewin, Simon & Hodgins, Stephen
- 1381-1384 Assisting war-torn populations - Should we prioritize reducing daily stressors to improve mental health? Comment on Miller and Rasmussen (2010)
by Neuner, Frank
- 1385-1389 Mental health and armed conflict: The importance of distinguishing between war exposure and other sources of adversity: A response to Neuner
by Miller, Kenneth E. & Rasmussen, Andrew
- 1390-1398 The public health critical race methodology: Praxis for antiracism research
by Ford, Chandra L. & Airhihenbuwa, Collins O.
- 1399-1408 Longing to belong: Social inclusion and wellbeing among youth with refugee backgrounds in the first three years in Melbourne, Australia
by Correa-Velez, Ignacio & Gifford, Sandra M. & Barnett, Adrian G.
- 1409-1417 Structural forces and the production of TB-related stigma among Haitians in two contexts
by Coreil, Jeannine & Mayard, Gladys & Simpson, Kelly M. & Lauzardo, Michael & Zhu, Yiliang & Weiss, Mitchell
- 1418-1427 Disability and self-rated health among older women and men in rural Guatemala: The role of obesity and chronic conditions
by Yount, Kathryn M. & Hoddinott, John & Stein, Aryeh D.
- 1428-1435 Spatial and socio-behavioral patterns of HIV prevalence in the Democratic Republic of Congo
by Messina, Jane P. & Emch, Michael & Muwonga, Jeremie & Mwandagalirwa, Kashamuka & Edidi, Samuel B. & Mama, Nicaise & Okenge, Augustin & Meshnick, Steven R.
- 1436-1446 Understanding community context and adult health changes in China: Development of an urbanicity scale
by Jones-Smith, Jessica C. & Popkin, Barry M.
- 1447-1454 Effects of cumulative risk on behavioral and psychological well-being in first grade: Moderation by neighborhood context
by Lima, Julie & Caughy, Margaret & Nettles, Saundra M. & O'Campo, Patricia J.
- 1455-1462 The impact of downsizing on remaining workers' sickness absence
by Østhus, Ståle & Mastekaasa, Arne
- 1463-1471 Christmas and New Year as risk factors for death
by Phillips, David & Barker, Gwendolyn E. & Brewer, Kimberly M.
- 1472-1479 Do gender differences in mental health contribute to gender differences in physical health?
by Needham, Belinda & Hill, Terrence D.
- 1480-1488 Exploring the ambiguities of masculinity in accounts of emotional distress in the military among young ex-servicemen
by Green, Gill & Emslie, Carol & O'Neill, Dan & Hunt, Kate & Walker, Steven
- 1489-1497 Parents who use drugs: Accounting for damage and its limitation
by Rhodes, Tim & Bernays, Sarah & Houmoller, Kathrin
- 1498-1505 'All in the same boat'? Patient and carer attitudes to peer support and social comparison in Motor Neurone Disease (MND)
by Locock, Louise & Brown, Janice B.
- 1506-1512 Professional autonomy in 21st century healthcare: Nurses' accounts of clinical decision-making
by Traynor, Michael & Boland, Maggie & Buus, Niels
- 1513-1519 The natural, the normal and the normative: Contested terrains in ageing and old age
by Jones, Ian Rees & Higgs, Paul F.
- 1520-1526 Advancing health equity in the global marketplace: How human rights can help
by Schrecker, Ted & Chapman, Audrey R. & Labonté, Ronald & De Vogli, Roberto
- 1527-1534 The changing role of agriculture in tobacco control policymaking: A South Carolina case study
by Sullivan, Sarah & Glantz, Stanton
- 1535-1535 Erratum to: "Epidemiological transition: Model or illusion? A look at the problem of health in Mexico" [Social Science & Medicine, 57, (2003), 539-550]
by Martínez S., Carolina & Leal F., Gustavo
2010, Volume 71, Issue 7
- 1219-1220 Changes in the editorial team and innovations at Social Science & Medicine
by Annandale, Ellen
- 1221-1222 Reactions to Fair Society, Healthy Lives (The Marmot Review)
by Subramanyam, Malavika A. & Kawachi, Ichiro & Subramanian, S.V.
- 1223-1226 Investing in health to improve the wellbeing of the disadvantaged: Reversing the argument of Fair Society, Healthy Lives (The Marmot Review)
by Canning, David & Bowser, Diana
- 1227-1230 Rising up with shoe leather? A comment on Fair Society, Healthy Lives (The Marmot Review)
by Chandra, Amitabh & Vogl, Tom S.
- 1231-1233 Against the organization of misery? The Marmot Review of health inequalities
by Pickett, Kate E. & Dorling, Danny
- 1234-1236 Swimming upstream? Taking action on the social determinants of health inequalities
by Whitehead, Margaret & Popay, Jennie
- 1237-1239 The Marmot Review - Social revolution by Stealth
by Nathanson, Constance & Hopper, Kim
- 1240-1243 Evidence-based politics: How successful have government reviews been as policy instruments to reduce health inequalities in England?
by Howden-Chapman, Philippa
- 1244-1248 Inequalities in child healthy development: Some challenges for effective implementation
by Lynch, John W. & Law, Catherine & Brinkman, Sally & Chittleborough, Catherine & Sawyer, Michael
- 1249-1253 Has the English strategy to reduce health inequalities failed?
by Mackenbach, Johan P.
- 1254-1258 A social movement, based on evidence, to reduce inequalities in health
by Marmot, Michael & Allen, Jessica & Goldblatt, Peter
- 1259-1267 Physical functioning among mid-life women: Associations with trajectory of depressive symptoms
by Tomey, Kristin & Sowers, MaryFran R. & Harlow, Sioban & Jannausch, Mary & Zheng, Huiyong & Bromberger, Joyce
- 1268-1276 Do Mexican immigrants "import" social gradients in health to the US?
by Buttenheim, Alison & Goldman, Noreen & Pebley, Anne R. & Wong, Rebeca & Chung, Chang
- 1277-1284 Factors associated with the perpetration of sexual violence among wine-shop patrons in Chennai, India
by Go, Vivian F. & Srikrishnan, Aylur K. & Salter, Megan L. & Mehta, Shruti & Johnson, Sethulakshmi C. & Sivaram, Sudha & Davis, Wendy & Solomon, Suniti & Celentano, David D.
- 1285-1291 Cancer and mastery: Do age and cohort matter?
by Pudrovska, Tetyana
- 1292-1299 Research on meaning-making and health in secular society: Secular, spiritual and religious existential orientations
by la Cour, Peter & Hvidt, Niels C.
- 1300-1307 Bullying victimisation, self harm and associated factors in Irish adolescent boys
by McMahon, Elaine M. & Reulbach, Udo & Keeley, Helen & Perry, Ivan J. & Arensman, Ella
- 1308-1315 You can't get anything perfect: "User perspectives on the delivery of cognitive behavioural therapy by telephone"
by Bee, Penny Elizabeth & Lovell, Karina & Lidbetter, Nicola & Easton, Katherine & Gask, Linda
- 1316-1323 Food, eating and taste: Parents' perspectives on the making of the middle class teenager
by Backett-Milburn, Kathryn C. & Wills, Wendy J. & Roberts, Mei-Li & Lawton, Julia
- 1324-1331 "More natural but less normal": Reconsidering medicalisation and agency through women's accounts of menstrual suppression
by Gunson, Jessica Shipman
- 1332-1340 Lean healthcare: Rhetoric, ritual and resistance
by Waring, Justin J. & Bishop, Simon
- 1341-1348 Niche players in health policy: Medical specialty societies in Congress 1969-2002
by Rabinowitz, Aaron & Laugesen, Miriam
- 1349-1356 A new approach to global health institutions? A case study of new vaccine introduction and the formation of the GAVI Alliance
by Sandberg, Kristin Ingstad & Andresen, Steinar & Bjune, Gunnar
- 1357-1365 The "aid contract" and its compensation scheme: A case study of the performance of the Ugandan health sector
by Oliveira Cruz, Valeria & McPake, Barbara
- 1366-1373 Poverty and childhood undernutrition in developing countries: A multi-national cohort study
by Petrou, Stavros & Kupek, Emil
- 1374-1374 Corrigendum to: "Understanding factors influencing substance use in people with recent onset psychosis: A qualitative study" [Social Science & Medicine 70 (2010) 1141-1147]
by Lobban, Fiona & Barrowclough, Christine & Jeffery, Sophie & Bucci, Sandra & Taylor, Katherine & Mallinson, Sara & Fitzsimmons, Mike & Marshall, Max
2010, Volume 71, Issue 6
- 1049-1055 Evidence and policymaking: The introduction of MMR vaccine in the Netherlands
by Blume, Stuart & Tump, Janneke
- 1056-1062 Evidence based public health: A review of the experience of the National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) of developing public health guidance in England
by Kelly, Michael & Morgan, Antony & Ellis, Simon & Younger, Tricia & Huntley, Jane & Swann, Catherine
- 1063-1067 From mainstream to marginal? Trends in the use of Chinese medicine in China from 1991 to 2004
by Jin, Lei
- 1068-1075 'Fantastic hands' - But no evidence: The construction of expertise by users of CAM
by Pedersen, Inge Kryger & Baarts, Charlotte
- 1076-1083 The medicalisation of 'tall' girls: A discourse analysis of medical literature on the use of synthetic oestrogen to reduce female height
by Rayner, Jo-Anne & Pyett, Priscilla & Astbury, Jill
- 1084-1088 Medical specialty prestige and lifestyle preferences for medical students
by Creed, Peter A. & Searle, Judy & Rogers, Mary E.
- 1089-1093 Cervical cancer screening in Malaysia: Are targeted interventions necessary?
by Dunn, Richard A. & Tan, Andrew K.G.
- 1094-1101 "I like to be an informed person but..." negotiating responsibility for treatment decisions in cancer care
by Sinding, Christina & Hudak, Pamela & Wiernikowski, Jennifer & Aronson, Jane & Miller, Pat & Gould, Judy & Fitzpatrick-Lewis, Donna
- 1102-1109 Chasing the dragon: Developing indicators for the assessment of community participation in health programmes
by Draper, Alizon Katharine & Hewitt, Gillian & Rifkin, Susan
- 1110-1118 The emergence of community health worker programmes in the late apartheid era in South Africa: An historical analysis
by van Ginneken, Nadja & Lewin, Simon & Berridge, Virginia
- 1119-1130 Exploring the use of social network methods in designing healthcare quality improvement teams
by Meltzer, David & Chung, Jeanette & Khalili, Parham & Marlow, Elizabeth & Arora, Vineet & Schumock, Glen & Burt, Ron
- 1131-1140 Rural vs urban hospital performance in a 'competitive' public health service
by Garcia-Lacalle, Javier & Martin, Emilio
- 1141-1149 Associations between income inequality at municipality level and health depend on context - A multilevel analysis on myocardial infarction in Sweden
by Henriksson, Göran & Weitoft, Gunilla Ringbäck & Allebeck, Peter
- 1150-1160 Socioeconomic position, gender, health behaviours and biomarkers of cardiovascular disease and diabetes
by Kavanagh, Anne & Bentley, Rebecca J. & Turrell, Gavin & Shaw, Jonathan & Dunstan, David & Subramanian, S.V.
- 1161-1172 The effect of immigrant generation and duration on self-rated health among US adults 2003-2007
by Acevedo-Garcia, Dolores & Bates, Lisa M. & Osypuk, Theresa L. & McArdle, Nancy
- 1173-1181 The mental health and psychosocial adjustment of Cuban immigrants in south Florida
by Cislo, Andrew M. & Spence, Naomi J. & Gayman, Mathew D.
- 1182-1188 Do experiences of racial discrimination predict cardiovascular disease among African American men? The moderating role of internalized negative racial group attitudes
by Chae, David H. & Lincoln, Karen D. & Adler, Nancy E. & Syme, S. Leonard
- 1189-1198 The contribution of smoking and obesity to income-related inequalities in health in England
by Vallejo-Torres, Laura & Morris, Stephen
- 1199-1207 Intimate partner violence and initiation of smoking and drinking: A population-based study of women in Yokohama, Japan
by Yoshihama, Mieko & Horrocks, Julie & Bybee, Deborah
- 1208-1217 Trajectory of functional status among older Taiwanese: Gender and age variations
by Liang, Jersey & Wang, Chia-Ning & Xu, Xiao & Hsu, Hui-Chuan & Lin, Hui-Shen & Lin, Yu-Hsuan
- 1218-1218 Corrigendum to: "Harmed patients gaining voice: Challenging dominant perspectives in the construction of medical harm and patient safety reforms" [Social Science & Medicine 71 (2010) 510-516]
by Ocloo, Josephine Enyonam
2010, Volume 71, Issue 5
- 841-850 Politics and health in eight European countries: A comparative study of mortality decline under social democracies and right-wing governments
by Granados, José A. Tapia
- 851-852 Politics, public health and pessimism: Should we take studies on welfare states and public health further? A commentary on Tapia Granados
by Lundberg, Olle
- 853-860 Jade and the journalists: Media coverage of a young British celebrity dying of cancer
by Walter, Tony
- 861-868 How the mass media report social statistics: A case study concerning research on end-of-life decisions
by Seale, Clive
- 869-876 Masculinity, moralities and being cared for: An exploration of experiences of living and dying in a hospice
by Broom, Alex & Cavenagh, John
- 877-883 Smokers' accounts on the health risks of smoking: Why is smoking not dangerous for me?
by Heikkinen, Hanne & Patja, Kristiina & Jallinoja, Piia
- 884-890 'Waiting until they got home': Gender, smoking and tobacco exposure in households in Scotland
by Robinson, Jude & Ritchie, Deborah & Amos, Amanda & Cunningham-Burley, Sarah & Greaves, Lorraine & Martin, Claudia
- 891-897 Westernization and tobacco use among young people in Delhi, India
by Stigler, Melissa & Dhavan, Poonam & Van Dusen, Duncan & Arora, Monika & Reddy, K.S. & Perry, Cheryl L.
- 898-909 How and where clinicians exercise power: Interprofessional relations in health care
by Nugus, Peter & Greenfield, David & Travaglia, Joanne & Westbrook, Johanna & Braithwaite, Jeffrey
- 910-917 Genetic unexceptionalism: Clinician accounts of genetic testing for familial hypercholesterolaemia
by Will, Catherine M. & Armstrong, David & Marteau, Theresa M.
- 918-924 The effect of Medicaid eligibility expansions on fertility
by Zavodny, Madeline & Bitler, Marianne P.
- 925-934 The tradeoff between centralized and decentralized health services: Evidence from rural areas in Mexico
by Vargas Bustamante, Arturo
- 935-940 Improved health outcomes in urban slums through infrastructure upgrading
by Butala, Neel M. & VanRooyen, Michael J. & Patel, Ronak Bhailal
- 941-949 Childhood nutritional deprivation and cognitive impairment among older Chinese people
by Zhang, Zhenmei & Gu, Danan & Hayward, Mark D.
- 950-957 A consideration of medicalisation: Choice, engagement and other responsibilities of parents of children with autism spectrum disorder
by Valentine, Kylie