Social Science & Medicine
1987, Volume 25, Issue 6
1987, Volume 25, Issue 5
- 421-425 Barriers to physician-nurse collegiality: An anthropological perspective
by Campbell-Heider, Nancy & Pollock, Donald
- 427-441 International cross-section analysis of the determination of mortality
by Gravelle, H.S.E. & Backhouse, M.E.
- 443-459 Community-based health workers: Head start or false start towards health for all?
by Berman, Peter A. & Gwatkin, Davidson R. & Burger, Susan E.
- 461-472 Health service efficiency: Appraising the appraisers--A critical review of economic appraisal in practice
by Blades, C.A. & Culyer, A.J. & Walker, A.
- 473-479 Progress towards achieving health for all New Zealanders by the year 2000
by Malcolm, Laurence
- 481-484 Health care institutions in a regional network: A longitudinal case study of inter-organizing
by van der Zwaan, A.H.
- 485-493 La mortalite evitable en belgique
by Humblet, P.C. & Lagasse, R. & Moens, G.F.G. & Wollast, E. & van de Voorde, H.
- 495-505 Community water-contact patterns and the transmission of schistosoma haematobium in the highveld region of Zimbabwe
by Chandiwana, Stephen K.
- 507-513 Why do people go to the doctor? Sex differences in the correlates of GP consultation
by Briscoe, Monica E.
- 515-524 Swedish physicians' perspectives on work and the medical care system--II: The cases of child and maternal health physicians
by Twaddle, Andrew C.
1987, Volume 25, Issue 4
- 329-330 Hot-cold food and medical theories: Overview and introduction
by Manderson, Lenore
- 331-337 Why is humoral medicine so popular?
by Anderson, E. N.
- 339-346 The hot and cold in mesoamerican indigenous and hispanicized thought
by Messer, Ellen
- 347-355 Hot and cold in women's ethnotherapeutics: The American-Mexican west
by Kay, Margarita & Yoder, Marianne
- 357-365 Destructive heat and cooling prayer: Malay humoralism in pregnancy, childbirth and the postpartum period
by Laderman, Carol
- 367-376 Cold wombs in Balmy Honolulu: Ethnogynecology among Korean immigrants
by Kendall, Laurel
- 377-387 Cultural dimensions of hot, cold and sema in Sinhalese health culture
by Nichter, Mark
- 389-399 Hot and cold as an explanatory model: The example of Bharuch district in Gujarat, India
by Pool, Robert
- 401-404 Food classifications and the diets of young children in rural Egypt
by Sukkary-Stolba, Soheir
- 405-417 Concepts of disease causation, treatment and prevention among Hong Kong Chinese: Diversity and eclecticism
by Koo, Linda C.
1987, Volume 25, Issue 3
- 229-230 The 'serpent-stone' or the 'black-stone'
by Scarpa, Antonio
- 231-239 The role of massage in South Asia: Child health and development
by Reissland, Nadja & Burghart, Richard
- 241-249 A critical re-examination of the economics of blindness prevention under the onchocerciasis control programme
by Evans, Timothy G. & Murray, Christopher J.L.
- 251-261 A measure of the 'sick' label in psychiatric disorder and physical illness
by Beiser, Morton & Waxler-Morrison, Nancy & Iacono, William G. & Lin, Tsung-Yi & Fleming, Jonathan A.E. & Husted, Janice
- 263-272 Living with psychiatric patients: Implications for the mental health of family members
by Noh, Samuel & Turner, R.Jay
- 273-276 Pharmaceuticals in the Third World: The local perspective
by Van der Geest, Sjaak
- 277-292 The use of modern pharmaceuticals in a Filipino village: Doctors' prescription and self medication
by Hardon, Anita P.
- 293-305 Self-care and the informal sale of drugs in South Cameroon
by Van Der Geest, Sjaak
- 319-321 Drug information and sale practices in some pharmacies of Colombo, Sri Lanka
by Wolffers, Ivan
1987, Volume 25, Issue 2
- 99-99 Foreword
by Asvall, Jo E.
- 103-110 Employment, economy and care in Sweden by the year 2000
by Lagergren, Mårten
- 111-113 The employed unemployed: The subterranean economy in Spain
by Lemkow, Louis
- 115-117 The choices to be made
by Adler-Karlsson, Gunnar
- 119-132 Economic change, alcohol consumption and heart disease mortality in nine industrialized countries
by Harvey Brenner, M.
- 133-146 Unemployed youth and health: Findings from the pilot phase of a longitudinal study
by Cullen, John H. & Ryan, Gerard M. & Cullen, Kevin M. & Ronayne, Thomas & Wynne, Richard F.
- 147-152 Youth unemployment--individual and societal consequences, and new research approaches
by Carle, Jan
- 153-161 Long-term unemployment among women in Sweden
by Brenner, Sten-Olof & Levi, Lennart
- 163-171 Coping with unemployment--A contribution to the understanding of women's unemployment
by Starrin, Bengt & Larsson, Gerry
- 173-178 Prolonged unemployment and depression in older workers: A longitudinal study of intervening variables
by Frese, Michael & Mohr, Gisela
- 179-182 The psychological meaning of job insecurity and job loss: Results of a longitudinal study
by Joelson, Lars & Wahlquist, Leif
- 183-195 Relation of economic change to Swedish health and social well-being, 1950-1980
by Brenner, M. Harvey
- 197-199 Unemployment and health--new approaches in research and social action
by Bolin, Bertil
- 201-204 International social and health policies to prevent ill health in the unemployment: the world health organization perspective
by Svensson, Per-Gunnar
- 205-207 Economic growth and industrial expansion and renewal as instruments to achieve full employment
by Meyerson, Per-Martin
- 209-212 Some experiences of Yugoslavia in solving of unemployment
by Cucic, Viktoria
- 213-215 Alleviating depression in the unemployed: Adequate financial support, hope and early retirement
by Frese, Michael
- 217-218 Unemployment causes ill health: The wrong track
by Kagan, Aubrey R.
- 219-222 An alternative model
by Adler-Karlsson, Gunnar
- 223-225 Some observations on 'unemployment and health' research
by Miles, Ian
1987, Volume 25, Issue 1
- 1-7 Cultural change, growth and feeding of children in an isolated rural region of Yemen
by Underwood, Peter & Margetts, Barrie
- 9-18 A geographical analysis of the relationship between early childhood death and socio-economic environment in an English city
by Robinson, Diane & Pinch, Steven
- 19-26 Sports medicine in the Soviet Union and German Democratic Republic
by Riordan, Jim
- 26-26 Comments
by Jako, P.
- 29-34 Social ties, social support, and perceived health status among chronically disabled people
by Kutner, Nancy G.
- 35-37 Humanism and medicine
by Milanovic, Vladimir
- 37-40 Comments
by Stambolovic, Vuk
- 40-41 Comments
by Parmelee, Donna E.
- 41-41 Rejoinder
by Milanovic, Vladimir & Stambolovic, Vuk
- 43-46 Does indirect consultation lead to overprescribing in general practice?
by Haaijer-Ruskamp, Flora M. & Stewart, Roy & Wesseling, Harry
- 47-56 Women's smoking and family health
by Graham, Hilary
- 57-63 Women's health and labour force status: An enquiry using a multi-point measure of labour force participation
by Anson, Ofra & Anson, Jon
- 65-73 Development, use and evaluation of drugs: The dominating technology in the health care system
by Hansen, Ebba Holme & Launsø, Laila
- 75-87 Capital intensive hospital technology and illness: An analysis of American state data
by Ost, John & Straus, Murray A.
- 89-95 The impact of rheumatoid arthritis on the homemaker
by Reisine, Susan T. & Goodenow, Carol & Grady, Kathleen E.
- 97-98 Characteristics of maternal age, parity, social class and breast feeding patterns in Benin City, Nigeria
by Oyarebu, K.A.
- 26-27 Comments
by Anthony, Don
1987, Volume 24, Issue 12
- 997-1010 Fear of sorcery and the problem of death by suggestion
by Lewis, Gilbert
- 1013-1021 Problems of knowledge in contemporary Chinese medical discourse
by Farquhar, Judith
- 1023-1029 Traditional Chinese medicine: Some historical and epistemological reflections
by Unschuld, Paul U.
- 1031-1050 The Ayurvedic physician as scientist
by Trawick, Margaret
- 1051-1060 Lay theory of healing in Northwestern New Spain
by Kay, Margarita
- 1061-1068 The Kur in West Germany as an interface between naturopathic and allopathic ideologies
by Maretzki, Thomas W.
- 1069-1083 An interpretive solution to the problem of humoral medicine in Latin America
by Tedlock, Barbara
- 1085-1093 Behind shamanism: Changing voices of Siberian Khanty cosmology and politics
by Balzer, Marjorie Mandelstam
- 1095-1108 The return of Dr Fritz: Spiritist healing and patronage networks in urban, industrial Brazil
by Greenfield, Sidney M.
- 1109-1118 Cross-cultural communication between doctors and peasants in Bolivia
by Bastien, Joseph W.
1987, Volume 24, Issue 11
- 889-896 Inner-city hospital closures/relocations: Race, income status, and legal issues
by Rice, Mitchell F.
- 897-910 Health outcome and higher medical qualifications: An economic conception and notes on implementation
by Doessel, D. P.
- 911-918 The demand for health inputs and their impact on the black neonatal mortality rate in the U.S
by Joyce, Theodore
- 919-925 Supplier-induced demand for physiotherapy in the Netherlands
by Van Doorslaer, E. & Geurts, J.
- 927-944 Accessibility, quality of care and prenatal care use in the Philippines
by Wong, Emelita L. & Popkin, Barry M. & Guilkey, David K. & Akin, John S.
- 945-951 Avoidable burden of illness: How much can prevention contribute to health?
by Gunning-Schepers, Louise J. & Hagen, J. Hans
- 953-960 Infant mortality and economic instability in Yugoslavia
by Kunitz, Stephen J. & Simic, Snezana & Odoroff, Charles L.
- 961-966 Community priorities following disaster: A case study from Tonga
by Finau, Sitaleki A.
- 967-972 Evaluation of the annual activity of a continuing medical and home care unit
by Mor, G. & Joshpeh, A. & Carel, R. S. & Brayer, M.
- 973-981 Health behavior models compared
by Mullen, Patricia D. & Hersey, James C. & Iverson, Donald C.
- 983-986 Smoking and hospital utilization
by Weinkam, J. J. & Rosenbaum, W. & Sterling, T. D.
- 987-987 Letter to the editor
by Van Balen, H.
1987, Volume 24, Issue 10
- 791-804 Dietary change and plasma glucose levels in an Amerindian population undergoing cultural transition
by Szathmary, Emöke J. E. & Ritenbaugh, Cheryl & Goodby, Carol-Sue M.
- 805-819 Evaluating medical expert systems
by Lundsgaarde, Henry P.
- 821-832 An implementation model for health system reform
by Siler-Wells, Gail
- 833-841 Evaluating healthy days of life gained from health projects
by Barnum, Howard
- 843-850 Technical and allocative efficiency in production of outpatient mental health clinic services
by Frank, Richard G. & Taube, Carl A.
- 851-862 Aging and health care utilization: New evidence on old fallacies
by Barer, Morris L. & Evans, Robert G. & Hertzman, Clyde & Lomas, Jonathan
- 863-866 Depression in solvent abusers
by Jacobs, Allan M. & Hamid Ghodse, A.
- 867-873 Conceptual problems in dependency research
by Wilkin, David
- 875-883 Social stress, normative constraints and alcohol problems in American States
by Linsky, Arnold S. & Colby, John P. & Straus, Murray A.
- 885-888 Health problems of elderly Nigerians
by Ekpenyong, S. & Oyeneye, O. Y. & Peil, M.
1987, Volume 24, Issue 9
- 705-708 Maintaining professional quality through innovation and changes in health care
by Holst, Erik
- 709-717 World Health Organization behavioral science research: Problems and prospects
by Foster, George M.
- 719-724 The measurement of hospital efficiency
by McGuire, Alistair
- 725-731 An economic appraisal of screening for Down's syndrome in pregnancy using maternal age and serum alpha fetoprotein concentration
by Gill, Mike & Murday, Victoria & Slack, Joan
- 733-739 Seasonality of births and birthweights in Tanzania
by Bantje, Han
- 741-748 Considerations guiding physicians when informing cancer patients
by Amir, Marianne
- 749-757 The state of psychiatry in South Africa today
by Dommisse, John
- 758-758 Comment
by Edwards, S. D.
- 763-775 Health sector structures: The case of Poland
by Sokolowska, Magdalena & Moskalewicz, Bozena
- 777-784 Communication climate and patient care: Causes and effects of nurses' attitudes to patients
by Nievaard, A. C.
- 758-760 Comment
by Sashidharan, S. P. & Platt, S.
1987, Volume 24, Issue 8
- 633-644 Breastfeeding and weaning in Mali: Cultural context and hard data
by Dettwyler, Katherine A.
- 645-649 Concepts and management of deafness in the Yoruba medical system: A case study of traditional healers in Ile-Ife, Nigeria
by Odebiyi, A. I. & Togonu-Bickersteth, Funmi
- 651-657 Silence and truth in death and dying
by Armstrong, David
- 659-667 Core-periphery differences in infant mortality
by Vuorinen, Heikki S.
- 669-678 Perceived health status among the new urban homeless
by Ropers, Richard H. & Boyer, Richard
- 679-687 Arterial blood pressure and individual modernization in a Mexican community
by Dressler, William W. & Mata, Alfonso & Chavez, Adolfo & Viteri, Fernando E.
- 689-695 Why we seek treatment here: Retail pharmacy and clinical practice in Maiduguri, Nigeria
by Igun, U. A.
1987, Volume 24, Issue 7
- 561-571 Menarche and sexuality among a sample of black South African schoolgirls
by du Toit, Brian M.
- 573-580 Breast feeding, birth interval and polygyny in Nigeria
by Adewuyi, Alfred A.
- 581-588 Cognitive antecedents of coronary heart disease
by Drechsler, Iris & Bruner, Daniel & Kreitler, Shulamith
- 589-600 Is frequent religious attendance really conducive to better health?: Toward an epidemiology of religion
by Levin, Jeffrey S. & Vanderpool, Harold Y.
- 601-606 Cancers of affluence: Positive social class gradient and rising incidence trend in some cancer forms
by Rimpelä, Arja H. & Pukkala, Eero I.
- 607-611 Knowledge attitudes and practices in relation to schistosomiasis in a rural community
by Taylor, P. & Chandiwana, S. K. & Govere, J. M. & Chombo, F.
- 613-618 Illness negotiation: The case of eating disorders
by Swartz, Leslie
- 619-624 Changes in students' sociopolitical attitudes during medical school: Socialization or maturation effect?
by Maheux, Brigitte & Béland, François
- 625-627 The influence of khat-chewing on birth-weight in full-term infants
by Abdul Ghani, N. & Eriksson, M. & Kristiansson, B. & Qirbi, A.
1987, Volume 24, Issue 6
- 475-482 Psychiatric emergency services: Evolution, adaptation and proliferation
by Wellin, Edward & Slesinger, Doris P. & Hollister, C. David
- 483-486 Ethical considerations of informed consent: A case study
by Goldfield, Norbert & Rothman, William A.
- 487-499 Background to the development of health services in Nigeria
by Ityavyar, Dennis A.
- 501-506 The influence of domestic position on health status
by Clark, W.A.V. & Freeman, H.E. & Kane, R. & Lewis, C.E.
- 507-514 'Avoidable mortality' from cervical cancer: Exploring the concept
by Howard, Jan
- 515-528 Bridging the gap: The village health worker as the cornerstone of the primary health care model
by Bender, Deborah E. & Pitkin, Kathryn
- 529-533 Time use of stroke patients in three rehabilitation hospitals
by Keith, Robert Allen & Cowell, Katherine Sharp
- 535-542 Changing ideas: The medicalization of menopause
by Bell, Susan E.
- 543-549 Moral and social aspects of aids: A medical students' project
by Elford, Jonathan
- 551-558 The magnitude of the maternal mortality problem in sub-Saharan Africa
by Boerma, Ties
1987, Volume 24, Issue 5
- 401-407 Geographical distribution of cerebrovascular disease mortality and food intakes in Japan
by Omura, Toshitaka & Hisamatsu, Shun'ichi & Takizawa, Yukio & Minowa, Masumi & Yanagawa, Hiroshi & Shigematsu, Itsuzo
- 409-416 Patients' noncompliance and how doctors manage this
by Heszen-Klemens, Irena
- 417-422 Community attitudes to mental illness in New Zealand twenty-two years on
by Green, Dianne E. & McCormick, Iain A. & Walkey, Frank H. & Taylor, Antony J. W.
- 423-429 The nationalisation of the Swedish pharmacies
by Lilja, John
- 431-437 Parental perceptions and attitudes toward asthma and its treatment: A controlled study
by Donnelly, J. E. & Donnelly, W. J. & Thong, Y. H.
- 439-443 Measles case fatality among the under-fives: A multivariate analysis of risk factors in a rural area of Bangladesh
by Bhuiya, Abbas & Wojtyniak, Bogdan & D'Souza, Stan & Nahar, Lutfun & Shaikh, Kashem
- 445-448 The secret bread tests: Selective primary health care or experimentation on human-beings?
by Kamien, Max
- 449-452 Maternal and child factors for reported child abuse among Chinese in Hong Kong
by Lau, Edith M. C. & Donnan, S. P. B.
- 453-462 Power and privileges in medical care: An analysis of medical services in post-colonial Nigeria
by Ogoh Alubo, S.
- 463-473 Correlates of stages in the progression from everyday drinking to problem drinking
by Knibbe, R. A. & Drop, M. J. & Muytjens, A.
1987, Volume 24, Issue 4
- 293-301 The ambiguity of symbols in the structure of healing
by Laderman, Carol
- 303-316 Gender and symptoms of depression and anxiety among Kikuyu secondary school students in Kenya
by Mitchell, Sharon & Abbott, Susan
- 317-325 Tai Dam health care practices: Asian refugee women in Iowa
by Bell, Sue E. & Whiteford, Michael B.
- 327-334 Patterns of rural hospital closure in the United States
by Mayer, Jonathan D. & Kohlenberg, Elizabeth R. & Sieferman, G. Eric & Rosenblatt, Roger A.
- 335-349 Applications of behavior modification to health promotion in the developing world
by Elder, John P.
- 351-357 Patient satisfaction with the clinical encounter: Social psychological determinants
by Like, Robert & Zyzanski, Stephen J.
- 359-370 A randomized control trial of cardiac rehabilitation
by Burgess, Ann W. & Lerner, Debra J. & D'Agostino, Ralph B. & Vokonas, Pantel S. & Hartman, Carol R. & Gaccione, Peter
- 371-377 The role of the chemist in primary health care for children with minor complaints
by Cunningham-Burley, Sarah & Maclean, Una
- 379-382 Comparison of a dietary attitude index based on questionnaire data and a 7-day diet recall interview: A study among pregnant women
by Olsen, Jørn & Frische, Grethe
- 383-394 Coping with intestinal illness among the Kamba in Machakos, Kenya, and aspects of schistosomiasis control
by Kloos, Helmut & Ouma, John H. & Kariuki, H. Curtis & Butterworth, Anthony E.
1987, Volume 24, Issue 3
- 187-196 Treatment-seeking for depression by black and white Americans
by Sussman, Linda K. & Robins, Lee N. & Earls, Felton
- 197-208 Public health in pre-colonial east-central Africa
by Waite, Gloria
- 209-217 'The stumbling disease': A case study of stigma among Azorean-Portuguese
by Boutté, Marie I.
- 219-223 Modeling the outcomes of nursing home care
by Rohrer, James E. & Hogan, Andrew J.
- 225-246 Canine heartworm disease: A review and pilot study
by Haddock, Kenneth C.
- 247-253 Health care policy and regional epidemiology: International comparisons and a case-study from the Netherlands
by Mackenbach, J.P.
- 255-262 Breastfeeding: Its relatioship with postpartum amenorrhea and postpartum sexual abstinence in a Nigerian community
by Oni, Gbolahan A.
- 263-274 Rural health care: A British success or a tale of unmet need?
by Fearn, Richard
- 275-283 An educational intervention for altering water-sanitation behaviours to reduce childhood diarrhoea in urban Bangladesh: formulation, preparation and delivery of educational intervention
by Stanton, Bonita F. & Clemens, John D. & Khair, Tajkera & Khatun, Khodeza & Jahan, Dilwara Akhter
- 285-288 Do health professionals agree on the parenting potential of pregnant women?
by Sommerfeld, D.P. & Hughes, J.R.
1987, Volume 24, Issue 2
- 97-100 Public awareness of AIDS in Rwanda
by Feldman, Douglas A. & Friedman, Samuel R. & Des Jarlais, Don C.
- 101-107 Arab-American patients: A medical record review
by Lipson, Juliene G. & Reizian, Alice E. & Meleis, Afaf I.
- 109-115 Meningitis and unpaved roads
by Williams, Robert
- 117-124 Mortality after bereavement: A review of the literature on survival periods and factors affecting survival
by Bowling, Ann
- 125-134 Development of a measure of potential health behaviour: A salience of lifestyle index
by Pill, Roisin & Stott, Nigel C. H.
- 135-143 Informed consent: The physicians' perspective
by Taylor, Kathryn M. & Kelner, Merrijoy
- 145-157 Relationship of chronic stress, social support, and coping style to health among Namibian refugees
by Shisana, Olive & Celentano, David D.
- 159-168 The family's adaptation to childhood leukemia
by Fife, Betsy & Norton, James & Groom, Gary
- 169-175 Evaluation of holistic medicine
by Patel, Mahesh S.
- 177-181 The best of both worlds: Bringing traditional medicine up to date
by Akerele, Olayiwola
1987, Volume 24, Issue 1
- 1-11 Health and the holy in African and Afro-American spirit possession
by Csordas, Thomas J.
- 13-21 Models of stress and meanings of unemployment: Reactions to job loss among technical professionals
by Jacobson, David
- 23-36 Defective modernization and health in Mexico
by Simonelli, Jeanne M.
- 37-41 High levels of childhood rickets in rural North Yemen
by Underwood, Peter & Margetts, Barrie
- 43-46 The treatment of musculoskeletal disorders by a Mexican bonesetter (SOBADOR)
by Anderson, Robert
- 47-50 Ethnicity and pain: A biocultural model
by Bates, Maryann S.
- 51-56 Sudden infant deaths and clear weather in a subtropical environment
by Auliciems, A. & Barnes, A.
- 57-69 Interdisciplinary approaches in epidemic studies--II: Four geographic models of the flow of contagious disease
by Angulo, Juan J.
- 71-82 The impact of late adolescent substance use on young adult health status and utilization of health services: A structural- equation model over four years
by Newcomb, Michael D. & Bentler, P.M.
- 83-94 The measurement of social support in population surveys
by Orth-Gomér, Kristina & Undén, Anna-Lena
1986, Volume 23, Issue 12
- 1205-1215 Geriatric care and distributive justice: Problems and prospects
by Gill, Derek G. & Ingman, Stanley R.
- 1217-1227 Anticipating the needs of the U.S. aged in the 21st century: Dilemmas in epidemiology, gerontology, and public policy
by Lusky, Richard A.
- 1229-1236 The social creation of dependence, dependency ratios, and the elderly in the United States: A critical analysis
by Calasanti, Toni M. & Bonanno, Alessandro
- 1237-1250 Reforming medicare: The limited framework of political discourse on equity and economy
by Walker, Georgia K.
- 1251-1260 Policy intellectuals, class struggle and the construction of old age: The creation of the Social Security Act of 1935
by Brents, Barbara G.
- 1261-1266 The non-profit sector and community-based care for the elderly in the U.S.: A disappearing resource?
by Estes, Carroll L. & Wood, Juanita B.
- 1267-1277 Analysing access to nursing home care
by Howe, Anna L. & Phillips, Colleen & Preston, George A. N.
- 1279-1286 Distributive justice and the treatment of acute illness in nursing homes
by Kayser-Jones, Jeanie Schmit
- 1287-1295 Social policy and everyday life in nursing homes: A critical ethnography
by Diamond, Timothy
- 1297-1303 Improving care in nursing homes using community advocacy
by Williams, Constance
- 1305-1317 Social insurance and the delivery of social services in France
by Wallimann, Isidor
- 1319-1326 State, society and old-age policy in France: From 1945 to the current crisis
by Guillemard, Anne-Marie
- 1327-1332 Medical care and social support for the elderly in Switzerland: Imbalance and mix
by Morabia, Alfredo & Takla, Hilke & Loew, Francois
- 1333-1345 The development of health and social services for the elderly in Iceland: An overview
by Wieland, G. Darryl & Pálsdóttir, Dögg
- 1347-1352 Health care of the aged in Korea
by Koo, Jasoon & Cowgill, Donald O.