There's no place like (a) home: Ontological security among persons with serious mental illness in the United States
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Bashir, S.A., 2002. "Home is where the harm is: Inadequate housing as a public health crisis," American Journal of Public Health, American Public Health Association, vol. 92(5), pages 733-738.
- Caton, Carol L. M. & Goldstein, Jill, 1984. "Housing change of chronic schizophrenic patients: A consequence of the revolving door," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 759-764, January.
- Phelan, J.C. & Link, B.G., 1999. "Who are 'the homeless'? Reconsidering the stability and composition of the homeless population," American Journal of Public Health, American Public Health Association, vol. 89(9), pages 1334-1338.
- Tsemberis, S. & Gulcur, L. & Nakae, M., 2004. "Housing First, Consumer Choice, and Harm Reduction for Homeless Individuals with a Dual Diagnosis," American Journal of Public Health, American Public Health Association, vol. 94(4), pages 651-656.
- Takahashi, Lois M. & Wolch, Jennifer R., 1994. "Differences in health and welfare between homeless and homed welfare applicants in Los Angeles county," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1401-1413, May.
- Link, B.G. & Susser, E. & Stueve, A. & Phelan, J. & Moore, R.E. & Struening, E., 1994. "Lifetime and five-year prevalence of homelessness in the United States," American Journal of Public Health, American Public Health Association, vol. 84(12), pages 1907-1912.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nick Kerman & John Sylvestre, 2020. "Service use and recovery among currently and formerly homeless adults with mental illness," International Journal of Social Psychiatry, , vol. 66(4), pages 389-396, June.
- Chan, Dara V. & Gopal, Sucharita & Helfrich, Christine A., 2014. "Accessibility patterns and community integration among previously homeless adults: A Geographic Information Systems (GIS) approach," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 120(C), pages 142-152.
- Rory Coulter & Michael Thomas, 2019. "A new look at the housing antecedents of separation," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 40(26), pages 725-760.
- Gibson, Barbara E. & Secker, Barbara & Rolfe, Debbie & Wagner, Frank & Parke, Bob & Mistry, Bhavnita, 2012. "Disability and dignity-enabling home environments," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 211-219.
- Samuels, Gina Miranda, 2009. "Ambiguous loss of home: The experience of familial (im)permanence among young adults with foster care backgrounds," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 1229-1239, December.
- Keene, Danya E. & Guo, Monica & Murillo, Sascha, 2018. "“That wasn't really a place to worry about diabetes”: Housing access and diabetes self-management among low-income adults," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 197(C), pages 71-77.
- Rosenberg, Alana & Keene, Danya E. & Schlesinger, Penelope & Groves, Allison K. & Blankenship, Kim M., 2021. "“I don't know what home feels like anymore”: Residential spaces and the absence of ontological security for people returning from incarceration," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 272(C).
- Alaazi, Dominic A. & Masuda, Jeffrey R. & Evans, Joshua & Distasio, Jino, 2015. "Therapeutic landscapes of home: Exploring Indigenous peoples' experiences of a Housing First intervention in Winnipeg," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 147(C), pages 30-37.
- Wells, Kathleen & Marcenko, Maureen O., 2011. "Introduction to the Special Issue: Mothers of children in foster care," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 419-423, March.
- Hearne Rory & Murphy Mary, 2018. "An absence of rights: Homeless families and social housing marketisation in Ireland," Administration, Sciendo, vol. 66(2), pages 9-31, May.
- Deborah Quilgars & Nicholas Pleace, 2016. "Housing First and Social Integration: A Realistic Aim?," Social Inclusion, Cogitatio Press, vol. 4(4), pages 5-15.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Vincent A. Fusaro & Helen G. Levy & H. Luke Shaefer, 2018. "Racial and Ethnic Disparities in the Lifetime Prevalence of Homelessness in the United States," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 55(6), pages 2119-2128, December.
- Rosanna Scutella & Guy Johnson, 2012. "Locating and Designing 'Journeys Home': A Literature Review (Journeys Home: A Longitudinal Study of Factors Affecting Housing Stability)," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2012n11, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Anita Hubley & Lara Russell & Anita Palepu & Stephen Hwang, 2014. "Subjective Quality of Life Among Individuals who are Homeless: A Review of Current Knowledge," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 115(1), pages 509-524, January.
- Fleury, Marie-Josée & Grenier, Guy & Vallée, Catherine & Hurtubise, Roch & Lévesque, Paul-André, 2014. "The role of advocacy coalitions in a project implementation process: The example of the planning phase of the At Home/Chez Soi project dealing with homelessness in Montreal," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 42-49.
- O'Flaherty, Brendan, 2004. "Wrong person and wrong place: for homelessness, the conjunction is what matters," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Bender, Kimberly & Thompson, Sanna J. & Ferguson, Kristin & Komlo, Chelsea & Taylor, Chelsea & Yoder, Jamie, 2012. "Substance use and victimization: Street-involved youths' perspectives and service implications," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2392-2399.
- William N. Evans & David C. Phillips & Krista Ruffini, 2021. "Policies To Reduce And Prevent Homelessness: What We Know And Gaps In The Research," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 40(3), pages 914-963, June.
- Sebastian Rosenberg & Ian Hickie, 2013. "Managing Madness: Mental Health and Complexity in Public Policy," Evidence Base, Australia and New Zealand School of Government, vol. 2013(3), pages 1-19, September.
- Mathew Carter & Colleen Fisher & Mohan Isaac, 2013. "Recovery From Comorbidity," SAGE Open, , vol. 3(4), pages 21582440135, November.
- John M. Quigley & Steven Raphael, 2001.
"The Economics Of Homelessness: The Evidence From North America,"
European Journal of Housing Policy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 1(3), pages 323-336.
- Quigley, John M. & Raphael, Steven, 2002. "The Economics of Homelessness: The Evidence from North America," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt2dw8b4r3, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- McVicar, Duncan & Moschion, Julie & van Ours, Jan C., 2015. "From substance use to homelessness or vice versa?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 136, pages 89-98.
- Kirst, Maritt & Friesdorf, Rebecca & Ta, Martha & Amiri, Alexandra & Hwang, Stephen W. & Stergiopoulos, Vicky & O'Campo, Patricia, 2020. "Patterns and effects of social integration on housing stability, mental health and substance use outcomes among participants in a randomized controlled Housing First trial," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 265(C).
- Chang, Jamie Suki, 2017. "Health in the Tenderloin: A resident-guided study of substance use, treatment, and housing," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 176(C), pages 166-174.
- Julia R. Woodhall-Melnik & James R. Dunn, 2016. "A systematic review of outcomes associated with participation in Housing First programs," Housing Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 287-304, April.
- Stephen Gaetz, 2020. "Making the Prevention of Homelessness a Priority: The Role of Social Innovation," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 79(2), pages 353-381, March.
- O’Flaherty, Brendan, 2012. "Individual homelessness: Entries, exits, and policy," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 77-100.
- Canham, Sarah L. & Fang, Mei Lan & Battersby, Lupin & Wada, Mineko, 2019. "Understanding the functionality of housing-related support services through mapping methods and dialogue," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 72(C), pages 33-39.
- Michael R. Greenberg, 2003. "Individual-Oriented and Neighborhood Protecting Health Actions: The Critical Role of Environmental Education Seeking Behavior," Environment Systems and Decisions, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 159-173, June.
- Eziyi Ibem & Dolapo Amole, 2014. "Satisfaction with Life in Public Housing in Ogun State, Nigeria: A Research Note," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 495-501, June.
- Moschion, Julie & van Ours, Jan C., 2019.
"Do childhood experiences of parental separation lead to homelessness?,"
European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 111(C), pages 211-236.
- Moschion, Julie & van Ours, Jan C., 2017. "Do Childhood Experiences of Parental Separation Lead to Homelessness?," CEPR Discussion Papers 11946, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Julie Moschion & Jan van Ours, 2017. "Do Childhood Experiences of Parental Separation Lead to Homelessness?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 17-035/V, Tinbergen Institute.
- Julie Moschion & Jan C. van Ours, 2017. "Do Childhood Experiences of Parental Separation Lead to Homelessness?," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2017n14, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
More about this item
KeywordsHomelessness Serious mental illness Ontological security USA Housing first;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:64:y:2007:i:9:p:1925-1936. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Catherine Liu (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.