How Do Banking Supervisors Deal with Europe-wide Systemic Risk?
The systemic risk potential in the European banking market has increased. Hence, the following questions emerge: Is there a need for a truly European supervisory framework? And, how should a potential European supervisor be organised? This paper evaluates the existing supervisory framework as well as the recent proposal by the Economic and Financial Committee of the EU with respect to the increased Europe-wide systemic risk. We argue that cooperation between national supervisors even in the new framework will not be sufficient for safeguarding financial stability. As a consequence, we argue in favour of a European observatory of systemic risk.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.zew.de/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Padoa-Schioppa, Tommaso, 1999. "EMU and Banking Supervision," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 295-308, July.
- Schüler, Martin, 2002. "The threat of systemic risk in banking: evidence for Europe," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-21, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren & Geoffrey M. B. Tootell, 1999.
"Is bank supervision central to central banking?,"
99-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Joseph G. Haubrich, 1996. "Combining bank supervision and monetary policy," Economic Commentary, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Nov.
- Franco Bruni & Christian de Boissieu, 2000. "Lending of Last Resort and Systemic Stability in the Eurozone," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- J.G. Rotte & M.P.H. de Vor, 2001. "Report on Financial Management," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 36, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Dow, Sheila C, 1996.
"Why the Banking System Should Be Regulated,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 698-707, May.
- Di Noia, Carmine & Di Giorgio, Giorgio, 1999.
"Should Banking Supervision and Monetary Policy Tasks Be Given to Different Agencies?,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 361-78, November.
- Carmine Di Noia & Giorgio Di Giorgio, 1999. "Should Banking Supervision and Monetary Policy Tasks Be Given to Different Agencies," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-11, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Carmine Di Noia & Giorgio Di Giorgio, 1999. "Should banking supervision and monetary policy tasks be given to different agencies?," Economics Working Papers 411, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Benston, George J & Kaufman, George G, 1996. "The Appropriate Role of Bank Regulation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 688-97, May.
- Speyer, Bernhard, 2001. "Internationalisation of banking and banking supervision," Research Notes 01-7, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Martin Summer, 2002.
"Banking Regulation and Systemic Risk,"
57, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Schüler, Martin & Schröder, Michael, 2003. "Systemic Risk in European Banking: Evidence from Bivariate GARCH Models," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-11, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Huizinga, Harry & Nicodème, Gaëtan, 2003.
"Deposit Insurance and International Bank Deposits,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3244, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Huizinga, Harry & Nicodeme, Gaetan, 2006. "Deposit insurance and international bank liabilities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 965-987, March.
- Huizinga Harry & Nicodeme Gaetan, 2003. "Deposit insurance and international bank deposits," International Finance 0302001, EconWPA.
- Harry Huizinga & Ga�tan Nicod�me, 2002. "Deposit insurance and international bank deposits," European Economy - Economic Papers 164, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Dowd, Kevin, 1996. "The Case for Financial Laissez-Faire," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 679-87, May.
- Charles Goodhart, 2000. "The Organisational Structure of Banking Supervision," FMG Special Papers sp127, Financial Markets Group.
- Asli Demirgüç-Kun & Edward J. Kane, 2003.
"Deposit Insurance: Handle With Care,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
227, Central Bank of Chile.
- Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Edward J. Kane, 2004. "Deposit Insurance: Handle with Care," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Luis Antonio Ahumada & J. Rodrigo Fuentes & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Banking Market Structure and Monetary Policy, edition 1, volume 7, chapter 12, pages 345-358 Central Bank of Chile.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- de Bandt, Olivier & Hartmann, Philipp, 2000.
"Systemic Risk: A Survey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2634, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Angelini, P. & Maresca, G. & Russo, D., 1996. "Systemic risk in the netting system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 853-868, June.
- Gianni De NicolÃ³ & Myron L. Kwast, 2002. "Systemic Risk and Financial Consolidation; Are they Related?," IMF Working Papers 02/55, International Monetary Fund.
- Kenneth Spong, 1994.
"Banking regulation : its purpose, implementation, and effects,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, number 1994bria.
- Kenneth Spong, 2000. "Banking regulation : its purposes, implementation, and effects," Monograph, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, number 2000bria.
- Gropp, R. & Vesala, J., 2001.
"Deposit Insurance and Moral Hazard: Does the Counterfactual Matter?,"
47, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Gropp, Reint & Vesala, Jukka, 2001. "Deposit insurance and moral hazard: does the counterfactual matter?," Working Paper Series 0047, European Central Bank.
- George Sheldon & Martin Maurer, 1998. "Interbank Lending and Systemic Risk: An Empirical Analysis for Switzerland," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 134(IV), pages 685-704, December.
- De Nicolo, Gianni & Kwast, Myron L., 2002. "Systemic risk and financial consolidation: Are they related?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 861-880, May.
- Goodhart, Charles & Schoenmaker, Dirk, 1995. "Should the Functions of Monetary Policy and Banking Supervision Be Separated?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 539-60, October.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Restructuring Financial Regulation in the European Monetary Union," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 57-82, February.
- Richard J. Herring & Anthony M. Santomero, 2000. "What Is Optimal Financial Regulation?," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-34, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Marcel Canoy & Machiel van Dijk & Jan Lemmen & Ruud de Mooij & JÃ¼rgen Weigand, 2001. "Competition and stability in banking," CPB Document 15, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- A. W. Coats, 1995. "Comment," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 27(5), pages 157-161, Supplemen.
- Dirk Schoenmaker, 1992. "Institutional Separation between Supervisory and Monetary Agencies," FMG Special Papers sp52, Financial Markets Group.
- Schüler, Martin, 2002. "The threat of systemic risk in banking: Evidence for Europe," Research Notes 3a, Deutsche Bank Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:899. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.