The threat of systemic risk in banking: evidence for Europe
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- De Bandt, Olivier & Hartmann, Philipp, 2000. "Systemic risk: A survey," Working Paper Series 0035, European Central Bank.
- Flannery, Mark J & James, Christopher M, 1984. " The Effect of Interest Rate Changes on the Common Stock Returns of Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1141-1153, September.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000. "Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Swary, Itzhak, 1986. "Stock Market Reaction to Regulatory Action in the Continental Illinois Crisis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(3), pages 451-473, July.
- Marcel Canoy & Machiel van Dijk & Jan Lemmen & Ruud de Mooij & Jürgen Weigand, 2001. "Competition and stability in banking," CPB Document 15, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Sweeney, Richard J & Warga, Arthur D, 1986. " The Pricing of Interest-Rate Risk: Evidence from the Stock Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(2), pages 393-410, June.
- H. A. Benink & C. C. P. Wolff, 2000.
"Survey Data and the Interest Rate Sensitivity of US Bank Stock Returns,"
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 29(2), pages 201-213, July.
- Harald A. Benink & Christian C. P. Wolffe, 1998. "Survey data and the interest rate sensitivity of U.S. bank stock returns," Proceedings 604, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- George Sheldon & Martin Maurer, 1998. "Interbank Lending and Systemic Risk: An Empirical Analysis for Switzerland," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 134(IV), pages 685-704, December.
- Aharony, Joseph & Swary, Itzhak, 1983. "Contagion Effects of Bank Failures: Evidence from Capital Markets," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56(3), pages 305-322, July.
- Akhigbe, Aigbe & Madura, Jeff, 2001. "Why do contagion effects vary among bank failures?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 657-680, April.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- Brian H. Boyer & Michael S. Gibson & Mico Loretan, 1997. "Pitfalls in tests for changes in correlations," International Finance Discussion Papers 597, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jongmoo Jay Choi & Elyas Elyasiani, 1996. "Derivative Exposure and the Interest Rate and Exchange Rate Risks of U.S. Banks," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-53, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Aharony, Joseph & Saunders, Anthony & Swary, Ithzak, 1986. "The effects of a shift in monetary policy regime on the profitability and risk of commercial banks," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 363-377, May.
- C. H. Furfine, 1999. "Interbank exposures: quantifying the risk of contagion," BIS Working Papers 70, Bank for International Settlements.
- Stone, Bernell K., 1974. "Systematic Interest-Rate Risk in a Two-Index Model of Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(05), pages 709-721, November.
- A. W. Coats, 1995. "Comment," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 27(5), pages 157-161, Supplemen.
- William N. Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 2005.
"Long-Term Global Market Correlations,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(1), pages 1-38, January.
- William N. Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 2001. "Long-Term Global Market Correlations," NBER Working Papers 8612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William N.Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K.Geert Rouwenhorst, 2003. "Long-Term Global Market Correlations," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 98, Netherlands Central Bank.
- William Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K. Rouwenhorst, 2001. "Long-Term Global Market Correlations," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm237, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Jan 2008.
- Slovin, Myron B. & Sushka, Marie E. & Polonchek, John A., 1999. "An analysis of contagion and competitive effects at commercial banks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 197-225, October.
- Gianni De Nicolo & Myron L. Kwast, 2001. "Systemic risk and financial consolidation: are they related?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-33, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (US).
- Angelini, P. & Maresca, G. & Russo, D., 1996. "Systemic risk in the netting system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 853-868, June.
- Randall Pozdena, 1991. "Is banking really prone to panics?," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue oct11.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 1998. "The Determinants of Banking Crises in Developing and Developed Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(1), pages 81-109, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anginer, Deniz & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli, 2014.
"Has the global banking system become more fragile over time?,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 13(C), pages 202-213.
- Anginer, Deniz & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli, 2011. "Has the global banking system become more fragile over time ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5849, The World Bank.
- Schüler, Martin, 2003. "How Do Banking Supervisors Deal with Europe-wide Systemic Risk?," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-03, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Gianni De Nicolo & Mary G Zephirin & Philip F. Bartholomew & Jahanara Zaman, 2003. "Bank Consolidation, Internationalization, and Conglomeration; Trends and Implications for Financial Risk," IMF Working Papers 03/158, International Monetary Fund.
More about this item
Keywordssystemic risk; banking; contagion; Europe;
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:876. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/zemande.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.