Pure contagion effects in international banking: The case of BCCI’s failure
We test for pure contagion effects in international banking arising from the failure of the Bank of Credit and Commerce International (BCCI), one of the largest bank failures in the world. We focused on large individual banks in three developed countries where BCCI had established operations, namely the UK, the US, and Canada. Using event study methodology, we tested for contagion effects using time windows surrounding several known BCCI-related announcements. Our analysis provides strong evidence of pure contagion effects in the UK, which have arisen prior to the official closure date. In contrast, there is no evidence of pure contagion effects in the US and Canada.
Volume (Year): VIII (2005)
Issue (Month): (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (5411) 6314-3000
Fax: (5411) 4314-1654
Web page: http://www.cema.edu.ar/publicaciones/jae.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Masulis, Ronald W., 1980. "The effects of capital structure change on security prices : A study of exchange offers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 139-178, June.
- Smirlock, Michael & Kaufold, Howard, 1987. "Bank Foreign Lending, Mandatory Disclosure Rules, and the Reaction of Bank Stock Prices to the Mexican Debt Crisis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(3), pages 347-64, July.
- Madura, Jeff & Tucker, Alan L. & Zarruk, Emilio, 1992. "Reaction of bank share prices to the Third-World debt reduction plan," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 853-868, September.
- Chan, Yuk-Shee & Greenbaum, Stuart I & Thakor, Anjan V, 1992.
" Is Fairly Priced Deposit Insurance Possible?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 227-45, March.
- Bomfim, Antulio N., 2003. "Pre-announcement effects, news effects, and volatility: Monetary policy and the stock market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 133-151, January.
- Akhigbe, Aigbe & Madura, Jeff, 2001. "Why do contagion effects vary among bank failures?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 657-680, April.
- Aharony, Joseph & Swary, Itzhak, 1983. "Contagion Effects of Bank Failures: Evidence from Capital Markets," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56(3), pages 305-22, July.
- Aharony, Joseph & Swary, Itzhak, 1996. "Additional evidence on the information-based contagion effects of bank failures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 57-69, January.
- Jacklin, Charles J & Bhattacharya, Sudipto, 1988. "Distinguishing Panics and Information-Based Bank Runs: Welfare and Policy Implications," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(3), pages 568-92, June.
- Jayanti, S. V. & Whyte, Ann Marie & Quang Do, A., 1996. "Bank failures and contagion effects: Evidence from Britain and Canada," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 103-116, May.
- Tim Bollerslev & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1988. "Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Models with Time-Varying Covariances," Working papers 505, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Swary, Itzhak, 1986. "Stock Market Reaction to Regulatory Action in the Continental Illinois Crisis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(3), pages 451-73, July.
- C. H. Furfine, 1999. "Interbank exposures: quantifying the risk of contagion," BIS Working Papers 70, Bank for International Settlements.
- Craig Furfine, 1999. "Interbank exposures: quantifying the risk of contagion," Proceedings 633, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Calomiris, Charles W & Kahn, Charles M, 1991. "The Role of Demandable Debt in Structuring Optimal Banking Arrangements," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 497-513, June.
- Slovin, Myron B. & Jayanti, Subbarao V., 1993. "Bank capital regulation and the valuation effects of Latin American debt moratoriums," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 159-174, February.
- Robert E. Lamy & G. Rodney Thompson, 1986. "Penn Square, Problem Loans, And Insolvency Risk," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 9(2), pages 103-111, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cem:jaecon:v:8:y:2005:n:1:p:101-123. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valeria Dowding)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.