Asymmetric information, dividend reductions, and contagion effects in bank stock returns
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Saunders, Anthony & Wilson, Berry, 1996. "Contagious Bank Runs: Evidence from the 1929-1933 Period," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 409-423, October.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1991. "Monitoring and Reputation: The Choice between Bank Loans and Directly Placed Debt," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 689-721, August.
- Megginson, William L & Poulsen, Annette B & Sinkey, Joseph F, Jr, 1995. "Syndicated Loan Announcements and the Market Value of the Banking Firm," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(2), pages 457-475, May.
- Bessler, Wolfgang & Nohel, Tom, 1996. "The stock-market reaction to dividend cuts and omissions by commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1485-1508, November.
- Bhattacharya Sudipto & Thakor Anjan V., 1993. "Contemporary Banking Theory," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 2-50, October.
- Kane, Edward J & Unal, Haluk, 1990.
" Modeling Structural and Temporal Variation in the Market's Valuation of Banking Firms,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 113-136, March.
- Edward J. Kane & Haluk Unal, 1988. "Modeling Structural and Temporal Variation in the Market's Valuation of Banking Firms," NBER Working Papers 2693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flannery, Mark J & James, Christopher M, 1984. " The Effect of Interest Rate Changes on the Common Stock Returns of Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1141-1153, September.
- Boyd, John H. & Prescott, Edward C., 1986. "Financial intermediary-coalitions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 211-232, April.
- Baibirer, Sheldon D. & Jud, G. Donald & Lindahl, Frederick W., 1992. "Regulation, competition, and abnormal returns in the market for failed thrifts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 107-131.
- Slovin, Myron B. & Sushka, Marie E. & Polonchek, John A., 1992. "Informational externalities of seasoned equity issues : Differences between banks and industrial firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 87-101, August.
- Aharony, Joseph & Swary, Itzhak, 1996. "Additional evidence on the information-based contagion effects of bank failures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 57-69, January.
- Douglas W. Diamond, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414.
- Firth, Michael, 1996. "Dividend Changes, Abnormal Returns, and Intra-lndustry Firm Valuations," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(02), pages 189-211, June.
- Benveniste Lawrence M. & Singh Manoj & Wilhelm Jr. , William J., 1993. "The Failure of Drexel Burnham Lambert: Evidence on the Implications for Commercial Banks," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 104-137, October.
- Boehmer, Ekkehart & Masumeci, Jim & Poulsen, Annette B., 1991. "Event-study methodology under conditions of event-induced variance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 253-272, December.
- Akella, Srinivas R & Greenbaum, Stuart I, 1992. "Innovations in Interest Rates, Duration Transformation, and Bank Stock Returns," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 24(1), pages 27-42, February.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Klaus Schaeck & Martin Cihak & Andrea Maechler & Stephanie Stolz, 2011. "Who Disciplines Bank Managers?," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 16(1), pages 197-243.
- Hirtle, Beverly, 2014. "Bank holding company dividends and repurchases during the financial crisis," Staff Reports 666, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, revised 01 Apr 2016.
- Jérôme Coffinet & Adrian Pop & Muriel Tiesset, 2013. "Monitoring Financial Distress in a High-Stress Financial World: The Role of Option Prices as Bank Risk Metrics," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 44(3), pages 229-257, December.
- George Milunovich & Stefan Trück, 2013. "Regional and global contagion in real estate investment trusts: The case of the financial crisis of 2007-2009," Journal of Property Investment & Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(1), pages 53-77, February.
- Elyas Elyasiani & Elena Kalotychou & Sotiris Staikouras & Gang Zhao, 2015. "Return and Volatility Spillover among Banks and Insurers: Evidence from Pre-Crisis and Crisis Periods," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 21-52, August.
- Cherry Muijsson, 2014. "Assessing Interbank Connectedness Using Transmission Decomposition Techniques: an Application to Eurozone SIFIs," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1438, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Forti, Cristiano & Schiozer, Rafael F., 2015. "Bank dividends and signaling to information-sensitive depositors," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 1-11.
- Pais, Amelia & Stork, Philip A., 2011. "Contagion risk in the Australian banking and property sectors," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 681-697, March.
- Crouzille, Celine & Lepetit, Laetitia & Tarazi, Amine, 2004.
"Bank stock volatility, news and asymmetric information in banking: an empirical investigation,"
Journal of Multinational Financial Management,
Elsevier, vol. 14(4-5), pages 443-461.
- Céline Meslier-Crouzille & Laetitia Lepetit & Amine Tarazi, 2004. "Bank stock volatility, news and asymmetric information in banking: an empirical investigation," Post-Print hal-00801229, HAL.
- Bessler, Wolfgang & Kurmann, Philipp & Nohel, Tom, 2015. "Time-varying systematic and idiosyncratic risk exposures of US bank holding companies," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 45-68.
- Céline Crouzille & Lætitia Lepetit & Amine Tarazi, 2006.
"Reaction of European bank stock prices to events of the Asian and Russian financial crises,"
Revue d'économie politique,
Dalloz, vol. 116(4), pages 457-469.
- Céline Meslier-Crouzille & Laetitia Lepetit & Amine Tarazi, 2006. "Reaction of European Bank Stock Prices to Events of the Asian and Russian Financial Crises," Working Papers hal-00918567, HAL.
- Céline Meslier-Crouzille & Laetitia Lepetit & Amine Tarazi, 2006. "Reaction of European bank stock prices to events of the Asian and Russian financial crises," Post-Print hal-00790244, HAL.
- Benoît D'Udekem, 2014. "Rational Dividend Addiction in Banking," Working Papers CEB 14-013, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Baker, H. Kent & Dutta, Shantanu & Saadi, Samir, 2008. "Impact of financial and multinational operations on manager perceptions of dividends," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 171-186.
- Valeriya Dinger & Vlad Marincas & Francesco Vallascas, 2018. "Systemic Effects of Bank Equity Issues: Competition, Stabilization and Contagion," Working Papers 111, Institute of Empirical Economic Research, Osnabrueck University.
- Zhu, Hui-Ming & Li, ZhaoLai & You, WanHai & Zeng, Zhaofa, 2015. "Revisiting the asymmetric dynamic dependence of stock returns: Evidence from a quantile autoregression model," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 142-153.
- Enrico Onali, 2014. "Moral Hazard, Dividends, and Risk in Banks," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1-2), pages 128-155, January.
- Onali, Enrico & Galiakhmetova, Ramilya & Molyneux, Philip & Torluccio, Giuseppe, 2016. "CEO power, government monitoring, and bank dividends," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 89-117.
- Karlo Kauko, 2016. "Does Opaqueness Make Equity Capital Expensive for Banks?," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO, vol. 17(2), pages 203-227, February.
- Mateus, Cesario & Chinthalapati, Raju & Mateus, Irina B., 2017. "Intraday industry-specific spillover effect in European equity markets," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 278-298.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:24:y:2000:i:11:p:1831-1848. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.