Social infrastructure and productivity of manufacturing firms: Evidence from Pakistan
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- John Cockburn & Yazid Dissou & Jean-Yves Duclos & Luca Tiberti (ed.), 2013. "Infrastructure and Economic Growth in Asia," Economic Studies in Inequality, Social Exclusion, and Well-Being, Springer, edition 127, number 978-3-319-03137-8, April.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989. "Is public expenditure productive?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
- Sayantan Ghosh Dastidar & Sushil Mohan & Monojit Chatterji, 2012.
"The relationship between public education expenditure and economic growth: The case of India,"
Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics
273, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Dastidar, Sayantan Ghosh & Mohan, Sushil & Chatterji, Monojit, 2013. "The relationship between public education expenditure and economic growth: The case of India," SIRE Discussion Papers 2013-07, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Alicia H. Munnell, 1990. "Why has productivity growth declined? Productivity and public investment," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Jan, pages 3-22.
- Fisher-Vanden, Karen & Mansur, Erin T. & Wang, Qiong (Juliana), 2015.
"Electricity shortages and firm productivity: Evidence from China's industrial firms,"
Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(C), pages 172-188.
- Karen Fisher-Vanden & Erin T. Mansur & Qiong (Juliana) Wang, 2012. "Costly Blackouts? Measuring Productivity and Environmental Effects of Electricity Shortages," NBER Working Papers 17741, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McDonald, Scott & Roberts, Jennifer, 2002. "Growth and multiple forms of human capital in an augmented Solow model: a panel data investigation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 271-276, January.
- Richard Kneller & Florian Misch, 2014.
"The Effects Of Public Spending Composition On Firm Productivity,"
Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 52(4), pages 1525-1542, October.
- Kneller, Richard & Misch, Florian, 2013. "The effects of public spending composition on firm productivity," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-014, ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
- Benhabib, Jess & Spiegel, Mark M., 1994. "The role of human capital in economic development evidence from aggregate cross-country data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 143-173, October.
- Pasha, Hafiz A. & Ghaus, Aisha & Malik, Salman, 1989. "The economic cost of power outages in the industrial sector of Pakistan," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 301-318, October.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Ahmed, Vaqar & Abbas, Ahsan & Ahmed, Sofia, 2013.
"Public Infrastructure and economic growth in Pakistan: a dynamic CGE-microsimulation analysis,"
PEP Working Papers
164414, Partnership for Economic Policy (PEP).
- Vaqar Ahmed & Ahsan Abbas & Saira Ahmed, 2013. "Public infrastructure and economic growth in Pakistan: a dynamic CGE-microsimulation analysis," Working Papers MPIA 2013-01, PEP-MPIA.
- Emmanuel C. Mamatzakis, 2007. "An Analysis of the Impact of Public Infrastructure on Productivity Performance of Mexican Industry," CESifo Working Paper Series 2099, CESifo.
- Rudiger Ahrend & Emily Farchy & Ioannis Kaplanis & Alexander C. Lembcke, 2014. "What Makes Cities More Productive? Evidence on the Role of Urban Governance from Five OECD Countries," OECD Regional Development Working Papers 2014/5, OECD Publishing.
- Wisdom Dube & Andrew Phiri, 2015. "Nutrition and economic growth in South Africa: a threshold co-integration approach," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 42(1), pages 138-156, January.
- Brandt, Loren & Van Biesebroeck, Johannes & Zhang, Yifan, 2012.
"Creative accounting or creative destruction? Firm-level productivity growth in Chinese manufacturing,"
Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 339-351.
- Loren Brandt & Johannes Van Biesebroeck & Yifan Zhang, 2009. "Creative Accounting or Creative Destruction? Firm-level Productivity Growth in Chinese Manufacturing," NBER Working Papers 15152, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bloom, David E. & Canning, David & Sevilla, Jaypee, 2004. "The Effect of Health on Economic Growth: A Production Function Approach," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 1-13, January.
- Blanca Sanchez‐Robles, 1998. "Infrastructure Investment And Growth: Some Empirical Evidence," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 16(1), pages 98-108, January.
- Ellison, Glenn & Glaeser, Edward L, 1997.
"Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(5), pages 889-927, October.
- Ellison, G. & Glaeser, E.L., 1994. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," Working papers 94-27, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Glenn Ellison & Edward L. Glaeser, 1994. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," NBER Working Papers 4840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Alan Aschauer, 1989. "Back of the G-7 pack: public investment and productivity growth in the Group of Seven," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 89-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Erol Taymaz & Aykut Lenger, 2004. "Multinational Corporations as a Vehicle for Productivity Spillovers in Turkey," DRUID Working Papers 04-09, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989. "Does public capital crowd out private capital?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 171-188, September.
- Moyo, Busani, 2013. "Power infrastructure quality and manufacturing productivity in Africa: A firm level analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 1063-1070.
- Alicia H. Munnell, 1992. "Policy Watch: Infrastructure Investment and Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(4), pages 189-198, Fall.
- Aziz, Babar & Khan, Tasneem & Aziz, Shumaila, 2008. "Impact of Higher Education on Economic Growth of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 22912, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2008.
- Lin, Hui-Lin & Li, Hsiao-Yun & Yang, Chih-Hai, 2011. "Agglomeration and productivity: Firm-level evidence from China's textile industry," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 313-329, September.
- Peter J. Klenow & Mark Bils, 2000. "Does Schooling Cause Growth?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1160-1183, December.
- Sumarto, Sudarno & De Silva, Indunil, 2014. "Being Healthy, Wealthy, and Wise: Dynamics of Indonesian Subnational Growth and Poverty," MPRA Paper 57824, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmed, Vaqar & Abbas, Ahsan & Ahmed, Sofia, 2013. "Public infrastructure and economic growth in Pakistan," PEP Policy Briefs 159855, Partnership for Economic Policy (PEP).
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, Victoria, 2002. "Meta-Analysis of the Impact of Fiscal Policies on Long-Run Growth," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-028/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 23 Apr 2003.
- Nijkamp, Peter & Poot, Jacques, 2004. "Meta-analysis of the effect of fiscal policies on long-run growth," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 91-124, March.
- Raffaello Bronzini & Paolo Piselli, 2006. "Determinants of long-run regional productivity: the role of R&D, human capital and public infrastructure," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 597, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Fedderke, J.W. & Bogetic, Z., 2009.
"Infrastructure and Growth in South Africa: Direct and Indirect Productivity Impacts of 19 Infrastructure Measures,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1522-1539, September.
- Johannes Fedderke & Å½eljko Bogetic, 2005. "Infrastructure and Growth in South Africa: Direct and Indirect Productivity Impacts of 19 Infrastructure Measures," Working Papers 39, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Fedderke, Johannes W. & Bogetic & Zeljko, 2006. "Infrastructure and growth in South Africa : direct and indirect productivity impacts of 19 infrastructure measures," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3989, The World Bank.
- Atif Ansar & Bent Flyvbjerg & Alexander Budzier & Daniel Lunn, 2016.
"Does infrastructure investment lead to economic growth or economic fragility? Evidence from China,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(3), pages 360-390.
- Atif Ansar & Bent Flyvbjerg & Alexander Budzier & Daniel Lunn, 2016. "Does Infrastructure Investment Lead to Economic Growth or Economic Fragility? Evidence from China," Papers 1609.00415, arXiv.org.
- Poot, Jacques, 1999. "A meta-analytic study of the role of government in long-run economic growth," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa171, European Regional Science Association.
- Fedderke, J.W. & Perkins, P. & Luiz, J.M., 2006. "Infrastructural investment in long-run economic growth: South Africa 1875-2001," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1037-1059, June.
- Marie-Ange VEGANZONES-VAROUDAKIS, 2000. "Infrastructures, investissement et croissance : un bilan de dix années de recherches," Working Papers 200007, CERDI.
- Timilsina,Govinda R. & Hochman,Gal & Song,Ze, 2020. "Infrastructure, Economic Growth, and Poverty : A Review," Policy Research Working Paper Series 9258, The World Bank.
- Francisco Rodríguez, 2006.
"Have Collapses in Infrastructure Spending Led to Cross-Country Divergence in per Capita GDP?,"
Wesleyan Economics Working Papers
2006-013, Wesleyan University, Department of Economics.
- Francisco Rodriguez, 2007. "Have Collapses in Infrastructure Spending led to Cross-Country Divergence in Per Capita GDP?," Working Papers 52, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Jiang, Xiushan & He, Xiang & Zhang, Lei & Qin, Huanhuan & Shao, Fengru, 2017. "Multimodal transportation infrastructure investment and regional economic development: A structural equation modeling empirical analysis in China from 1986 to 2011," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 43-52.
- Makuyana, Garikai & Odhiambo, Nicholas Mbaya, 2017. "Public and private investment and economic growth in Malawi: An ARDL-bounds testing approach," Working Papers 22003, University of South Africa, Department of Economics.
- Nikos Benos & Nikolaos Mylonidis & Stefania Zotou, 2017. "Estimating production functions for the US states: the role of public and human capital," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 52(2), pages 691-721, March.
- Silvia Bertarelli, 2006. "Public capital and growth," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 361-398.
- Achim Kemmerling & Andreas Stephan, 2000. "Political Economy of Infrastructure Investment Allocation: Evidence from a Panel of Large German Cities," CIG Working Papers FS IV 00-03, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Hartwig, Jochen, 2012. "Testing the growth effects of structural change," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 11-24.
- Kemmerling, Achim & Stephan, Andreas, 2002.
"The Contribution of Local Public Infrastructure to Private Productivity and Its Political Economy: Evidence from a Panel of Large German Cities,"
Public Choice, Springer, vol. 113(3-4), pages 403-424, December.
- Achim Kemmerling & Andreas Stephan, 2001. "The Contribution of Local Public Infrastructure to Private Productivity and Its Political-Economy: Evidence from a Panel of Large German Cities," CIG Working Papers FS IV 01-14, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Delorme, Charles Jr. & Thompson, Herbert Jr. & Warren, Ronald Jr., 1999. "Public Infrastructure and Private Productivity: A Stochastic-Frontier Approach," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 563-576, July.
- Pedro R.D. Bom & Jenny E. Ligthart, 2009. "How Productive is Public Capital? A Meta-Regression Analysis," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0912, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Pedro R.D. Bom & Jenny E. Ligthart, 2014. "What Have We Learned From Three Decades Of Research On The Productivity Of Public Capital?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(5), pages 889-916, December.
More about this item
KeywordsFirm Productivity; Social Infrastructure; Health and Education; Pakistan;
All these keywords.
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- H51 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Health
- H52 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Education
- I15 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health and Economic Development
- I25 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Education and Economic Development
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-BEC-2016-05-14 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2016-05-14 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2016-05-14 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-URE-2016-05-14 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:16038. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/zemande.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.