Distribution Dynamics of Russian Regional Prices
This paper studies the behavior of the entire distribution of consumer prices across Russian regions over the decade of 2001–2010. The analysis uses non-parametric techniques, exploiting the distribution dynamics approach. The results obtained evidence that regional relative prices in Russia remained fairly stable during 2001-2010. No significant changes are found in price dispersion and cross-region price distribution over this time span. Rank mobility was very low with seasonal surges. The pattern of quantity mobility manifests neither convergence nor divergence of regional prices. However, a long-run price distribution has an unpleasant feature, predicting potential emergence of a price convergence club in the Russian Far East.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Konstantin Gluschenko, 2009.
"Goods market integration in Russia during the economic upturn,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 125-142.
- Konstantin Gluschenko, 2008. "Goods Market Integration in Russia during the Economic Upturn," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp921, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Quah, Danny T, 1996. " Convergence Empirics across Economies with (Some) Capital Mobility," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 95-124, March.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Thomas J. Grennes & Christine McCurdy, 1999. "Spatial price dynamics and integration in russian food markets," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 157-193.
- Berkowitz, Daniel & DeJong, David N., 1999.
"Russia's internal border,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 633-649, September.
- Paula De Masi & Vincent Koen, 1995.
"Relative Price Convergence in Russia,"
IMF Working Papers
95/54, International Monetary Fund.
- Vincent Koen & Steven Phillips, 1992. "Price Liberalization in Russia; The Early Record," IMF Working Papers 92/92, International Monetary Fund.
- Konstantin Gluschenko, 2004. "The Evolution of Cross-Region Price Distribution in Russia," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-716, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2013-1061. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.