Goods market integration in Russia during the economic upturn
This article finds an evolving pattern of goods market integration in Russia, considering the period of economic upturn since the second half of 2000 to the end of 2007. In an integrated market, the price of a tradable good at any location is determined by the national market, not local demand. Based on this, the strength of dependence of local prices on local demand is used to detect and measure market segmentation. The costs of a staples basket across almost all Russian regions with a monthly frequency are used as the empirical material. The pattern found suggests that over the time span under consideration the degree of Russia's goods market integration was relatively stable, fluctuating around some level; no significant improvements or deteriorations were detected.
Volume (Year): 21 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CPCE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Konstantin Gluschenko, 2004.
"Analysing changes in market integration through a cross-sectional test for the law of one price,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 135-149.
- Glushchenko Konstantin, 2002. "Common Russian Market: Myth rather than Reality," EERC Working Paper Series 01-11e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Steven T Phillips & Vincent Koen, 1993. "Price Liberalization in Russia; Behavior of Prices, Household Incomes, and Consumption During the First Year," IMF Occasional Papers 104, International Monetary Fund.
- Berkowitz, Daniel & DeJong, David N., 2003. "Regional integration: an empirical assessment of Russia," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 541-559, May.
- Konstantin Gluschenko, 2003. "Market integration in Russia during the transformation years," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 11(3), pages 411-434, 09.
- Gluschenko, Konstantin, 2002. "Market Integration in Russia During the Transformation Years," Economics Series 116, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Daniel Berkowitz & David N. DeJong, 2001. "The evolution of market integration in Russia," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 9(1), pages 87-104, March.
- Daniel Berkowitz & David N. DeJong, 2000. "The Evolution of Market Integration in Russia," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 334, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Vincent Koen & Steven T Phillips, 1992. "Price Liberalization in Russia; The Early Record," IMF Working Papers 92/92, International Monetary Fund.
- Gluschenko, Konstantin, 2006. "Russia's common market takes shape : price convergence and market integration among Russian regions," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2006, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Paula De Masi & Vincent Koen, 1996. "Relative Price Convergence in Russia," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 43(1), pages 97-122, March.