Goods market integration in Russia during the economic upturn
This article finds an evolving pattern of goods market integration in Russia, considering the period of economic upturn since the second half of 2000 to the end of 2007. In an integrated market, the price of a tradable good at any location is determined by the national market, not local demand. Based on this, the strength of dependence of local prices on local demand is used to detect and measure market segmentation. The costs of a staples basket across almost all Russian regions with a monthly frequency are used as the empirical material. The pattern found suggests that over the time span under consideration the degree of Russia's goods market integration was relatively stable, fluctuating around some level; no significant improvements or deteriorations were detected.
Volume (Year): 21 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CPCE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gluschenko, Konstantin, 2002.
"Market Integration in Russia During the Transformation Years,"
116, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Konstantin Gluschenko, 2003. "Market integration in Russia during the transformation years," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 11(3), pages 411-434, 09.
- Vincent Koen & Steven Phillips, 1992. "Price Liberalization in Russia; The Early Record," IMF Working Papers 92/92, International Monetary Fund.
- Daniel Berkowitz & David N. DeJong, 2001.
"The evolution of market integration in Russia,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 9(1), pages 87-104, March.
- Berkowitz, Daniel & DeJong, David N., 2003. "Regional integration: an empirical assessment of Russia," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 541-559, May.
- Paula De Masi & Vincent Koen, 1996.
"Relative Price Convergence in Russia,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 43(1), pages 97-122, March.
- Konstantin Gluschenko, 2004.
"Analysing changes in market integration through a cross-sectional test for the law of one price,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 135-149.
- Steven Phillips & Vincent Koen, 1993. "Price Liberalization in Russia; Behavior of Prices, Household Incomes, and Consumption During the First Year," IMF Occasional Papers 104, International Monetary Fund.
- Gluschenko, Konstantin, 2006. "Russia's common market takes shape : price convergence and market integration among Russian regions," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2006, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:pocoec:v:21:y:2009:i:2:p:125-142. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.