Integration of the Russian Market. Empirical Analysis
The paper analyzes a spatial pattern of goods market integration in Russia, and characterizes the movement of the national market as a whole to integration. By the spatial pattern is meant a state of each individual region of the country: whether it is integrated, and if not, whether it moves towards integration. Time series of the cost of the basket of 25 basic foods across 75 regions of Russia for 1994-2000 with monthly frequency are used as the empirical stuff. With the use of nonlinear cointegration relationship that includes asymptotically subsiding trend capturing movement towards integration, 36% of Russian regions are found to be integrated with the national market; 44% of them are non-integrated, but are tending to integration with the national market; and 20% of regions are non-integrated having no such a trend. Analyzing distribution dynamics, σ-convergence is found to take place; and the shape of the across-region distribution of prices tends to be more regular over time. To characterize intra-distribution mobility, a stochastic kernel (the generalization of a transition probability matrix, pioneered by Danny T. Quah) is estimated. Such a kernel is also used to estimate the long-run limit of the price distribution. This limit is unimodal, predicting that “price convergence clubs” will not arise in the long run.
|Date of creation:||23 Mar 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web page: http://www.eercnetwork.com
|Order Information:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web: https://eercnetwork.com/paper Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Berkowitz & David N. DeJong, 2001.
"The evolution of market integration in Russia,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 9(1), pages 87-104, March.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier X, 1996.
"The Classical Approach to Convergence Analysis,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(437), pages 1019-1036, July.
- Sala-i-martin, X., 1995. "The Classical Approach to Convergence Analysis," Papers 734, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1995. "The classical approach to convergence analysis," Economics Working Papers 117, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1995. "The Classical Approach to Convergence Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 1254, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Глущенко К.П., 2001.
"Пространственное Поведение Уровней Цен,"
Журнал Экономика и математические методы (ЭММ),
Центральный Экономико-Математический Институт (ЦЭМИ), vol. 37(3), июль.
- Lucio Sarno & Mark P. Taylor, 2002.
"Purchasing Power Parity and the Real Exchange Rate,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(1), pages 5-5.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001. "Purchasing Power Parity and the Real Exchange Rate," CEPR Discussion Papers 2913, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Glushchenko Konstantin, 2002.
"Common Russian Market: Myth rather than Reality,"
EERC Working Paper Series
01-11e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Konstantin Gluschenko, 2004. "Analysing changes in market integration through a cross-sectional test for the law of one price," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 135-149.
- Konstantin Gluschenko, 2003.
"Market integration in Russia during the transformation years,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 11(3), pages 411-434, 09.
- Gluschenko, Konstantin, 2002. "Market Integration in Russia During the Transformation Years," Economics Series 116, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- David C. Parsley & Shang-Jin Wei, 1996.
"Convergence to the Law of One Price Without Trade Barriers or Currency Fluctuations,"
NBER Working Papers
5654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David C. Parsley & Shang-Jin Wei, 1996. "Convergence to the Law of One Price Without Trade Barriers or Currency Fluctuations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1211-1236.
- Глущенко К. П., 2001. "Индексы Цен В Западносибирских Регионах," Мир экономики и управления // Вестник НГУ. Cерия: Cоциально-экономические науки, Socionet;Новосибирский государственный университет, vol. 1(2), pages 5-20.
- Quah, Danny T, 1996. "Convergence Empirics across Economies with (Some) Capital Mobility," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 95-124, March.
- Sergio Rey & Brett Montouri, 1999. "US Regional Income Convergence: A Spatial Econometric Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 143-156.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995.
"How wide is the border?,"
Research Working Paper
95-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Engel, C. & Rogers, J.H., 1995. "How Wide is the Border?," Papers 4-95-16, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1994. "How Wide is the Border?," NBER Working Papers 4829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995. "How wide is the border?," International Finance Discussion Papers 498, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kenneth D. West & Whitney K. Newey, 1995.
"Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0144, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1994. "Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(4), pages 631-653.
- Newey, W.K. & West, K.D., 1992. "Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation," Working papers 9220, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Vogelsang, T.I. & Perron, P., 1991.
"Nonstationary and Level Shifts With An Application To Purchasing Power Parity,"
359, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre & Vogelsang, Timothy J, 1992. "Nonstationarity and Level Shifts with an Application to Purchasing Power Parity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 301-320, July.
- K.P.Gluschenko, 2001. "Consumer prices in Russia in 1992-2000: spatial aspect," Journal "Region: Economics and Sociology", Institute of Economics and Industrial Engineering of Siberian Branch of RAS, vol. 2, pages 46-72.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Thomas J. Grennes & Christine McCurdy, 1999. "Spatial price dynamics and integration in russian food markets," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 157-193.
- K.P.Glushcenko, 2002. "Econometric analysis of the degree of integration of the national market," Journal "Region: Economics and Sociology", Institute of Economics and Industrial Engineering of Siberian Branch of RAS, vol. 3, pages 67-87.
- Jarvis, Sarah & Jenkins, Stephen P, 1998. "How Much Income Mobility Is There in Britain?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(447), pages 428-443, March.
- Bruce L. Gardner & Karen M. Brooks, 1994. "Food Prices and Market Integration in Russia: 1992–93," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 76(3), pages 641-646.
- Andrei Shleifer & Daniel Treisman, 2003.
"A Normal Country,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2019, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Cushman, David O. & MacDonald, Ronald & Samborsky, Mark, 2001. "The law of one price for transitional Ukraine," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 251-256, November.
- James G. MacKinnon, 1995.
"Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests,"
918, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 601-618, Nov.-Dec..
- Berkowitz, Daniel & DeJong, David N., 2003. "Regional integration: an empirical assessment of Russia," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 541-559, May.
- Conway, Patrick, 1999. "Privatization and Price Convergence: Evidence from Four Markets in Kyiv," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 231-257, June.
- Burton Singer & Seymour Spilerman, 1976. "Some Methodological Issues in the Analysis of Longitudinal Surveys," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 5, number 4, pages 447-474 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eer:wpalle:04-06e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anton Pashchenko)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.