Labor Supply, Informal Economy and Russian Transition
The literature on economics of transition has suggested a number of scenarios to explain unemployment and labour reallocation in Eastern Europe. However, it has recently been argued that these so-called Optimal Speed of Transition (OST) studies do not account for many stylized facts concerning transitional labour markets (such as a drop in participation rates, job-to-job shifts of workers, development of an informal labour market, etc.). The transformation in Russia has witnessed an increase in moonlighting opportunities for workers and a rapid growth of the informal sector. To allow for this fact, which has a strong structural and qualitative effect on Russian transition, I attempt to incorporate secondary job holding in the OST framework. I first consider a time-allocation model in the spirit of Gronau (1977), which takes account of institutional peculiarities of the Russian state sector allowing workers to moonlight in the informal market. I introduce the motivational factor describing a heterogeneous worker's propensity to informal activity. The time-allocation model leads into an OST-type dynamic model with on-the-job search, labour shifts underground and state sector hirings. Numerical simulations of the model help look at Russian transition from a new angle and explain several stylized facts.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benhabib, Jess & Rogerson, Richard & Wright, Randall, 1991.
"Homework in Macroeconomics: Household Production and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(6), pages 1166-87, December.
- Jess Benhabib & Richard Rogerson & Randall Wright, 1991. "Homework in macroeconomics: household production and aggregate fluctuations," Staff Report 135, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Полтерович В.М., 1996.
"Трансформационный Спад В России,"
Журнал Экономика и математические методы (ЭММ),
Центральный Экономико-Математический Институт (ЦЭМИ), vol. 32(1), январь.
- Polterovich, Victor, 1996.
"Трансформационный Спад В России
[Transformational Recession in Russia]," MPRA Paper 22060, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Polterovich, Victor, 1996. "Трансформационный Спад В России
- Shishko, Robert & Rostker, Bernard, 1976. "The Economics of Multiple Job Holding," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(3), pages 298-308, June.
- Richard Layard & Andrea Richter, 1995.
"How much unemployment is needed for restructing: the Russian experience,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 3(1), pages 39-58, 03.
- Richard Layard & Ansgar Richter, 1995. "How Much Unemployment is Needed for Restructuring?: The Russian Experience," CEP Discussion Papers dp0238, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Simon Commander & Andrei Tolstopiatenko, 1997. "A model of the Informal Economy in Transition Economies," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 122, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Martin S. Eichenbaum & Lars Peter Hansen, 1987.
"Estimating Models with Intertemporal Substitution Using Aggregate Time Series Data,"
NBER Working Papers
2181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichenbaum, Martin & Hansen, Lars Peter, 1990. "Estimating Models with Intertemporal Substitution Using Aggregate Time Series Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(1), pages 53-69, January.
- Castanheira, Micael & Roland, Gerard, 2000.
"The Optimal Speed of Transition: A General Equilibrium Analysis,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(1), pages 219-39, February.
- Castanheira, Micael & Roland, Gérard, 1996. "The Optimal Speed of Transition: A General Equilibrium Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 1442, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Micael Castanheira De Moura & Gérard Roland, 2000. "The optimal speed of transition: a general equilibrium analysis," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10011, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Mark Schaffer & Gerard Turley, 2000.
"Effective versus Statutory Taxation: Measuring Effective Tax Administration in Transition Economies,"
CERT Discussion Papers
0008, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Mark E. Schaffer & Gerard Turley, 2000. "Effective versus Statutory Taxation: Measuring Effective Tax Administration in Transition Economies," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 347, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Mark E. Schaffer & Gerard Turley, 2001. "Effective versus statutory taxation: measuring effective tax administration in transition economies," Working Papers 62, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Simon Johnson & Daniel Kaufman & Andrei Shleifer, 1997. "The Unofficial Economy in Transition," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(2), pages 159-240.
- Bouev Maxim & Matveenko Vladimir & Vostroknutova Ekaterina, 1998. "Transformational Decline and Preconditions of Growth in Russia," EERC Working Paper Series 98-03e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Krishnan, Pramila, 1990. "The Economics of Moonlighting: A Double Self-Selection Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 361-67, May.
- Sergei Guriev & Barry W. Ickes, 2000. "Microeconomic Aspects of Economic Growth in Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union, 1950-2000," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 348, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Friedman, Eric & Johnson, Simon & Kaufmann, Daniel & Zoido-Lobaton, Pablo, 2000. "Dodging the grabbing hand: the determinants of unofficial activity in 69 countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 459-493, June.
- Razumova Tatyana & Roshchin Sergey, 2002. "Secondary Employment in Russia Labor Supply Modeling," EERC Working Paper Series 02-07e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Linz, Susan J, 1995. "Do Job Rights Govern Employment Patterns in Transition Economies?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 425-31, May.
- D. Reisman, 1999. "Russia's Tax Crisis: Explaining Falling Revenues in a Transitional Economy," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 145-169, 07.
- Chadha, Bankim & Coricelli, Fabrizio, 1997.
"Fiscal constraints and the speed of transition,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 221-249, February.
- Stepan Jurajda & Katherine Terrell, 2000. "Optimal Speed of Transition: Micro Evidence from the Czech Republic," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 355, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Alessandra Guariglia & Byung-Yeon Kim, 1999. "Unemployment Risk, Precautionary Savings, and Moonlighting in Russia," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 232, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Commander, Simon & Yemtsov, Ruslan, 1995. "Russian unemployment : its magnitude, characteristics, and regional dimensions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1426, The World Bank.
- Ruggerone, Luigi, 1996. "Unemployment and Inflationary Finance Dynamics at the Early Stages of Transition," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(435), pages 483-94, March.
- Lacroix, G. & Fortin, B., 1991.
"Utility-Based Estimation of Labor Supply Functions in the Regular and Irregular Sectors,"
Cahiers de recherche
9020, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Lacroix, Guy & Fortin, Bernard, 1992. "Utility-Based Estimation of Labour Supply Functions in the Regular and Irregular Sectors," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(415), pages 1407-22, November.
- Zuzana Brixiova, 1997. "On the Speed of Transition in Central and Eastern Europe; Doeson-The-Job Search Matter?," IMF Working Papers 97/102, International Monetary Fund.
- Pietro Garibaldi & Zuzana Brixiova, 1997.
"Labor Market Institutions and Unemployment Dynamics in Transition Economies,"
IMF Working Papers
97/137, International Monetary Fund.
- Pietro Garibaldi & Zuzana Brixiova, 1998. "Labor Market Institutions and Unemployment Dynamics in Transition Economies," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(2), pages 269-308, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2000-408. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.