Optimal Speed of Transition: Micro Evidence from the Czech Republic
We consider the growing theoretical literature on the optimum speed of transition (OST) and explore its validity using micro data from a transition economy. First, we ask whether the OST theories focus on the empirically most important job and worker reallocation flows. Second, we examine the relationship between these flows suggested by the theory. The empirical evidence from the Czech Republic appears to match the theory's prescriptions. It underscores the main policy implication of the Aghion and Blanchard (1994) model that early support for private job creation is the recipe for a successful transition.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.eduEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alessandro Acquisti & Hartmut Lehmann, 1999. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in Russia: Some Preliminary Evidence from Enterprise-level Data," LICOS Discussion Papers 8499, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Zuzana Brixiova, 1997. "On the Speed of Transition in Central and Eastern Europe; Doeson-The-Job Search Matter?," IMF Working Papers 97/102, International Monetary Fund.
- Boeri, Tito & Burda, Michael C., 1996.
"Active labor market policies, job matching and the Czech miracle,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 805-817, April.
- Tito Boeri & Michael Burda, 1997. "Active Labour Market Policies, Job Matching and the Czech Miracle," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 1997(2), pages 183-192.
- T. Boeri & M. C. Burda, 1995. "Active Labor Market Policies, Job Matching and the Czech Miracle," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,76, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Boeri, Tito & Burda, Michael C, 1995. "Active Labour Market Policies, Job Matching and the Czech Miracle," CEPR Discussion Papers 1302, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lubomir Lizal & Jan Svejnar, 2001.
"Financial Conditions and Investment during the Transition: Evidence from Czech Firms,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Lubomir Lizal & Jan Svejnar, 2000. "Financial Conditions and Investment during the Transition: Evidence from Czech Firms," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp153, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Aghion, Philippe, 1994.
"On the Speed of Transition in Central Europe,"
4481322, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Castanheira, Micael & Roland, Gérard, 1996.
"The Optimal Speed of Transition: A General Equilibrium Analysis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1442, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Castanheira, Micael & Roland, Gerard, 2000. "The Optimal Speed of Transition: A General Equilibrium Analysis," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(1), pages 219-39, February.
- Micael Castanheira De Moura & Gérard Roland, 2000. "The optimal speed of transition: a general equilibrium analysis," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10011, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Chadha, Bankim & Coricelli, Fabrizio, 1997.
"Fiscal constraints and the speed of transition,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 221-249, February.
- Simon Johnson & Daniel Kaufman & Andrei Shleifer, 1997. "The Unofficial Economy in Transition," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(2), pages 159-240.
- Ruggerone, Luigi, 1996. "Unemployment and Inflationary Finance Dynamics at the Early Stages of Transition," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(435), pages 483-94, March.
- Bilsen, Valentijn & Konings, Jozef, 1998. "Job Creation, Job Destruction, and Growth of Newly Established, Privatized, and State-Owned Enterprises in Transition Economies: Survey Evidence from Bulgaria, Hungary, and Romania," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 429-445, September.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991.
"Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction and Employment Reallocation,"
NBER Working Papers
3728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Steven J & Haltiwanger, John C, 1992. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction, and Employment Reallocation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 819-63, August.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross job creation, gross job destruction and employment reallocation," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Andrew Atkeson & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1995.
"Social insurance and transition,"
547, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Faggio, Giulia & Konings, Jozef, 1999. "Gross Job Flows and Firm Growth in Transition Countries: Evidence Using Firm Level Data on Five Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 2261, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Vladislav Flek & Jiri Vecernik, 1998. "Employment and Wage Structures in the Czech Republic," Archive of Monetary Policy Division Working Papers 1998/03, Czech National Bank.
- Stefan Bojnec & Jozef Konings, 1998. "Job Creation, Job Destruction and Labour Demand in Slovenia," LICOS Discussion Papers 7498, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Stepan Jurajda, 2000. "Gender Wage Gap and Segregation in Late Transition," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 306, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Sorm, Vit & Terrell, Katherine, 2000.
"Sectoral Restructuring and Labor Mobility: A Comparative Look at the Czech Republic,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 431-455, September.
- Sorm, Vit & Terrell, Katherine, 2000. "Sectoral Restructuring and Labor Mobility: A Comparative Look at the Czech Republic," IZA Discussion Papers 111, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tito Boeri, 1999. "Transition with Labour Supply," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 274, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Burda, Michael C, 1992. "Unemployment, Labour Market Institutions and Structural Change in Eastern Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 746, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2000-355. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.