Financial Conditions and Investment during the Transition: Evidence from Czech Firms
In this paper, we examine net investment during the early stages of transition using micro data on the population of medium and large industrial firms in the Czech Republic during the 1992-95 period. We examine the relevance of alternative models of investment and test if investment behavior varies across categories of ownership and with the legal status of firms. Our analysis of depreciation leads us to the conclusion that replacement investment displays a similar pattern in many ownership-legal form categories of firms. Retained profit is found to be a major determinant of new investment and the estimate is statistically significant even when we use the most robust fixed effects estimates based on one-year differences. We find that enterprise profitability has a strong positive effect on investment in all types of firms except for privately owned-limited liability companies and foreign owned and mixed ownership firms. These results are consistent with the financing-hierarchy and credit-rationing hypotheses which indicate that domestic firms cannot easily borrow investment funds externally and that net investment varies with retained profits. Firms take into account various stock measures of internal finance. In particular, a stock of cash, receivables, receivables overdue, payables, and payables overdue systematically affect net investment.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 882, Politickych veznu 7, 111 21 Praha 1|
Phone: (+420) 224 005 123
Fax: (+420) 224 005 333
Web page: http://www.cerge-ei.cz
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hayashi, Fumio & Inoue, Tohru, 1991.
"The Relation between Firm Growth and Q with Multiple Capital Goods: Theory and Evidence from Panel Data on Japanese Firms,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 731-753, May.
- Fumio Hayashi & Tohru Inoue, 1990. "The Relation Between Firm Growth and Q with Multiple Capital Goods: Theory and Evidence from Panel Data on Japanese Firms," NBER Working Papers 3326, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Terrell, Katherine, 1993. "Technical Change and Factor Bias in Polish Industry (1962-1983)," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 741-47, November.
- Lubomir Lizal & Jan Svejnar, 1997.
"Enterprise Investment During the Transition: Evidence from Czech Panel Data,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
60, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Lizal, Lubomir & Svejnar, Jan, 1998. "Enterprise Investment During the Transition: Evidence from Czech Panel Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 1835, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jorgenson, Dale W, 1971. "Econometric Studies of Investment Behavior: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 1111-1147, December.
- Whited, Toni M, 1992.
" Debt, Liquidity Constraints, and Corporate Investment: Evidence from Panel Data,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1425-1460, September.
- Toni M. Whited, 1990. "Debt, liquidity constraints, and corporate investment: evidence from panel data," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 114, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- repec:fth:harver:1491 is not listed on IDEAS
- R. Glenn Hubbard & Anil K Kashyap & Toni M. Whited, 1993. "Internal Finance and Firm Investment," NBER Working Papers 4392, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Blanchard & Changyong Rhee & Lawrence Summers, 1990.
"The Stock Market, Profit and Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
3370, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Bond & Costas Meghir, 1994. "Dynamic Investment Models and the Firm's Financial Policy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 197-222.
- Abel, Andrew B., 1980. "Empirical investment equations : An integrative framework," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 39-91, January.
- Abel, Andrew B & Blanchard, Olivier J, 1986.
"The Present Value of Profits and Cyclical Movements in Investment,"
Econometric Society, vol. 54(2), pages 249-273, March.
- Andrew B. Abel & Olivier J. Blanchard, 1983. "The Present Value of Profits and Cyclical Movements in Investment," NBER Working Papers 1122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1987.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matthew D. Shapiro, 1986.
"The Dynamic Demand for Capital and Labor,"
NBER Working Papers
1899, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Weitzman, Martin L., 1979. "Technology transfer to the USSR: An econometric analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 167-177, June.
- Lubomír Lízal, 1999.
"Depreciation rates in a transition economy: evidence from czech panel data,"
Prague Economic Papers,
University of Economics, Prague, vol. 1999(3), pages -.
- Lubomir Lizal, 2001. "Depreciation Rates in a Transition Economy: Evidence from Czech Panel Data," Microeconomics 0012004, EconWPA.
- Thornton, Judith, 1970. "Value-Added and Factor Productivity in Soviet Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(5), pages 863-871, December.
- Terrell, Katherine, 1992. "Productivity of western and domestic capital in polish industry," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 494-514, September.
- Oliner, Stephen D & Rudebusch, Glenn D, 1992. "Sources of the Financing Hierarchy for Business Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(4), pages 643-54, November.
- Stephen Nickell, 1977. "Uncertainty and Lags in the Investment Decisions of Firms," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(2), pages 249-263.
- Desai, Padma, 1976. "The Production Function and Technical Change in Postwar Soviet Industry: A Reexamination," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(3), pages 372-381, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cer:papers:wp153. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jana Koudelkova)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.