Public management and essential public health functions
The authors provide an overview of how different approaches to improving public sector management relate to so-called core or essential public health functions, such as disease surveillance, health education, monitoring and evaluation, workforce development, enforcement of public health laws and regulations, public health research, and health policy development. The authors summarize key themes in the public management literature and draw lessons for their application to these core functions.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gauri, Varun, 2001. "Are incentives everything? payment mechanisms for health care providers in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2624, The World Bank.
- Zheng, Xiang & Hillier, Sheila, 1995. "The reforms of the Chinese health care system: County level changes: The Jiangxi study," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1057-1064, October.
- Liu, Xingzhu & Hsiao, William C. L., 1995. "The cost escalation of social health insurance plans in China: Its implication for public policy," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1095-1101, October.
- Reinikka, Ritva & Svensson, Jakob, 2002.
"Explaining Leakage of Public Funds,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3227, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Reinikka, Ritva & Svensson, Jakob, 2001. "Explaining leakage of public funds," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2709, The World Bank.
- Reinikka, Ritva & Svensson, Jakob, 2001. "Explaining Leakage of Public Funds," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Richard Batley, 1999. "The new public management in developing countries: introduction," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(5), pages 755-760.
- M Das Gupta & H. Grandvoinnet & M. Romani, 2004. "State-Community Synergies in Community-Driven Development," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 27-58.
- John Akin & Paul Hutchinson & Koleman Strumpf, 2005. "Decentralisation and government provision of public goods: The public health sector in Uganda," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(8), pages 1417-1443.
- Dilip Mookherjee, 2001. "Combating the Crisis in Government Accountability: A Review of Recent International Experience," Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series dp-117, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Bale, Malcolm & Dale, Tony, 1998. "Public Sector Reform in New Zealand and Its Relevance to Developing Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 13(1), pages 103-21, February.
- Hurley, Jeremiah & Birch, Stephen & Eyles, John, 1995. "Geographically-decentralized planning and management in health care: Some informational issues and their implications for efficiency," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 3-11, July.
- Bloom, Gerald, 1998. "Primary health care meets the market in China and Vietnam," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 233-252, June.
- Grindle, Merilee S., 1997. "Divergent cultures? When public organizations perform well in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 481-495, January.
- Bloom, Gerald & Xingyuan, Gu, 1997. "Health sector reform: Lessons from China," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 351-360, August.
- Richard Batley, 1999. "The new public management in developing countries: implications for policy and organizational reform," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(5), pages 761-765.
- Jimenez, Emmanuel & Sawada, Yasuyuki, 1999. "Do Community-Managed Schools Work? An Evaluation of El Salvador's EDUCO Program," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(3), pages 415-41, September.
- Khaleghian, Peyvand, 2003. "Decentralization and public services : the case of immunization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2989, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:3220. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.