Health sector reforms in sub-Saharan Africa: lessons of the last 10 years
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Korte, R. & Richter, Heide & Merkle, F. & Görgen, H., 1992. "Financing health services in Sub-Saharan Africa: Options for decision makers during adjustment," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 1-9, January.
- Yoder, Richard A., 1989. "Are people willing and able to pay for health services?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 35-42, January.
- Litvack, Jennie I. & Bodart, Claude, 1993. "User fees plus quality equals improved access to health care: Results of a field experiment in Cameroon," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 369-383, August.
- Akin, John S. & Griffin, Charles C. & Guilkey, David K. & Popkin, Barry M., 1986. "The demand for adult outpatient services in the Bicol region of the Philippines," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 321-328, January.
- Akbar Zaidi, S., 1988. "Poverty and disease: Need for structural change," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 119-127, January.
- Gertler, Paul & Locay, Luis & Sanderson, Warren, 1987.
"Are user fees regressive? : The welfare implications of health care financing proposals in Peru,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 67-88.
- Paul J. Gertler & Luis Locay & Warren C. Sanderson, 1987. "Are User Fees Regressive? The Welfare Implications of Health Care Financing Proposals in Peru," NBER Working Papers 2299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gilson, Lucy, 1995. "Management and health care reform in sub-Saharan Africa," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 695-710, March.
- McPake, Barbara & Hanson, Kara & Mills, Anne, 1993. "Community financing of health care in Africa: An evaluation of the Bamako initiative," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 1383-1395, June.
- Arhin, Dyna C., 1994. "The health card insurance scheme in Burundi: A social asset or a non-viable venture?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 861-870, September.
- Coreil, Jeannine, 1983. "Allocation of family resources for health care in rural Haiti," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 17(11), pages 709-719, January.
- Heller, Peter S., 1982. "A model of the demand for medical and health services in Peninsular Malaysia," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 267-284, January.
- Gilson, Lucy & Alilio, Martin & Heggenhougen, Kris, 1994. "Community satisfaction with primary health care services: An evaluation undertaken in the Morogoro region of Tanzania," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 767-780, September.
- Foster, Susan, 1991. "Supply and use of essential drugs in sub-Saharan Africa: Some issues and possible solutions," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 1201-1218, January.
- Hecht, Robert & Overholt, Catherine & Holmberg, Hopkins, 1993. "Improving the implementation of cost recovery for health: lessons from Zimbabwe," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 213-242, October.
- McPake, Barbara, 1993. "User charges for health services in developing countries: A review of the economic literature," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 1397-1405, June.
- Lucy Gilson & Steven Russell & Kent Buse, 1995. "The political economy of user fees with targeting: Developing equitable health financing policy," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(3), pages 369-401, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Leonard, Lori, 2005. "Where there is no state: household strategies for the management of illness in Chad," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 229-243, July.
- Collins, Charles & Green, Andrew & Hunter, David, 1999. "Health sector reform and the interpretation of policy context," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 69-83, April.
- Maureen Mackintosh, 2006. "Commercialisation, inequality and the limits to transition in health care: a Polanyian framework for policy analysis," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(3), pages 393-406.
- Ardeshir Sepehri & Robert Chernomas, 2001. "Are user charges efficiency- and equity-enhancing? A critical review of economic literature with particular reference to experience from developing countries," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(2), pages 183-209.
- Xu, Ke & Evans, David B. & Kadama, Patrick & Nabyonga, Juliet & Ogwal, Peter Ogwang & Nabukhonzo, Pamela & Aguilar, Ana Mylena, 2006. "Understanding the impact of eliminating user fees: Utilization and catastrophic health expenditures in Uganda," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 62(4), pages 866-876, February.
- Khaleghian, Peyvand, 2003. "Decentralization and public services : the case of immunization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2989, The World Bank.
- Gonzalez Block, Miguel Angel, 1997. "Comparative research and analysis methods for shared learning from health system reforms," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 187-209, December.
- Gilson, Lucy & Kalyalya, Denny & Kuchler, Felix & Lake, Sally & Oranga, Hezron & Ouendo, Marius, 2001. "Strategies for promoting equity: experience with community financing in three African countries," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 37-67, October.
- Needham, Dale M. & Bowman, Dennis & Foster, Susan D. & Godfrey-Faussett, Peter, 2004. "Patient care seeking barriers and tuberculosis programme reform: a qualitative study," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 93-106, January.
- Khaleghian, Peyvand & Gupta, Monica Das, 2005. "Public management and the essential public health functions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1083-1099, July.
- Buse, Kent & Walt, Gill, 1996. "Aid coordination for health sector reform: a conceptual framework for analysis and assessment," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 173-187, December.
- Druetz, Thomas & Kadio, Kadidiatou & Haddad, Slim & Kouanda, Seni & Ridde, Valéry, 2015. "Do community health workers perceive mechanisms associated with the success of community case management of malaria? A qualitative study from Burkina Faso," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 124(C), pages 232-240.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:hepoli:v:32:y:1995:i:1-3:p:215-243. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu) or (). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/healthpol .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.