Structural Adjustment and the Health Care Sector in India: some policy issues in financing
The paper examines different strategies for the financing of health care in India, where the effect of structural adjustment has been to undermine the traditional resource base. The relative merits of user fees, insurance schemes, administrative decentralisation and partial privatisation are discussed. The main policy conclusion is the need for better regulation of the various modalities of health care delivery.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Queen Elizabeth House 3 Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3TB United Kingdom|
Phone: +44 (1865) 281800
Fax: +44 (1865) 281801
Web page: http://www.qeh.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Viveros-Long, Anamaria, 1986. "Changes in health financing: The Chilean experience," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 379-385, January.
- Arhin, Dyna C., 1994. "The health card insurance scheme in Burundi: A social asset or a non-viable venture?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 861-870, September.
- Hodgkin, Dominic & McGuire, Thomas G., 1994. "Payment levels and hospital response to prospective payment," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Zheng, Xiang & Hillier, Sheila, 1995. "The reforms of the Chinese health care system: County level changes: The Jiangxi study," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1057-1064, October.
- McPake, Barbara & Hanson, Kara & Mills, Anne, 1993. "Community financing of health care in Africa: An evaluation of the Bamako initiative," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 1383-1395, June.
- Randall P. Ellis & Thomas G. McGuire, 1993. "Supply-Side and Demand-Side Cost Sharing in Health Care," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(4), pages 135-151, Fall.
- Randall P. Elllis & D. Keith McInnes & Elizabeth H. Stephenson, 1994. "Inpatient and outpatient Health Care Demand in Cairo, Egypt," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 38, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Liu, Yuanli & Hsiao, William C. L. & Li, Qing & Liu, Xingzhu & Ren, Minghui, 1995. "Transformation of China's rural health care financing," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1085-1093, October.
- Le Grand, Julian, 1991. "Quasi-markets and Social Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(408), pages 1256-67, September.
- Vogel, R.J., 1988. "Cost Recovery In The Health Care Sector - Selected Country Studies In West Africa," Papers 82, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- van de Ven, Wynand P.M.M. & Schut, Frederik T. & Rutten, Frans F.H., 1994. "Forming and reforming the market for third-party purchasing of health care," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1405-1412, November.
- Yoder, Richard A., 1989. "Are people willing and able to pay for health services?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 35-42, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qeh:qehwps:qehwps02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rachel Crawford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.