Financing health services in Africa : an assessment of alternative approaches
This paper outlines a strategy for financing health services in sub-Saharan Africa. The individual components of the strategy are as follows: general tax revenues, international finance, a system of user charges, community finance, health insurance, and contributions from nongovernmental organizations, including the private sector. The author states that financial positions of public health care systems in sub-Saharan Africa would be greatly enhanced if governments in the region were to adopt policies that would use each of the above sources of finance. Since a strong financial base is a prerequisite for an effective health care system, such policies would considerably improve the health status of the population. It is important that for each country different policies be pursued at various levels of society, and in different sectors of the economy.
|Date of creation:||30 Jun 1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vogel, R.J., 1988. "Cost Recovery In The Health Care Sector - Selected Country Studies In West Africa," Papers 82, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Ellis, Randall P., 1987. "The revenue generating potential of user fees in Kenyan government health facilities," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 995-1002, January.
- Michael Grossman, 1972. "The Demand for Health: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gros72-1, May.
- Cross, Peter N. & Huff, Maggie A. & Quick, Jonathan D. & Bates, James A., 1986. "Revolving drug funds: Conducting business in the public sector," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 335-343, January.
- Bonair, Ann & Rosenfield, Patricia & Tengvald, Karin, 1989. "Medical technologies in developing countries: Issues of technology development, transfer, diffusion and use," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 769-781, January.
- Paul J. Gertler & Luis Locay & Warren C. Sanderson, 1987.
"Are User Fees Regressive? The Welfare Implications of Health Care Financing Proposals in Peru,"
NBER Working Papers
2299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gertler, Paul & Locay, Luis & Sanderson, Warren, 1987. "Are user fees regressive? : The welfare implications of health care financing proposals in Peru," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 67-88.
- Reinhardt, Uwe E, 1989. "Economists in Health Care: Saviors, or Elephants in a Porcelain Shop?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 337-42, May.
- Mwabu, Germano M, 1989. "Nonmonetary Factors in the Household Choice of Medical Facilities," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 37(2), pages 383-92, January.
- ALan Williams, 1988. "Priority setting in public and private health care: a guide through the ideological jungle," Working Papers 036chedp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Dunlop, David W., 1983. "Health care financing: Recent experience in Africa," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 17(24), pages 2017-2025, January.
- Williams, Alan, 1988. "Priority setting in public and private health care : A guide through the ideological jungle," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 173-183, June.
- Akin, John S, et al, 1986. "The Demand for Primary Health Care Services in the Bicol Region of the Philippines," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(4), pages 755-82, July.
- Bitran-Dicowsky, Ricardo & Dunlop, David W., 1989. "The determinants of hospital costs : an analysis of Ethiopia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 249, The World Bank.
- Yoder, Richard A., 1989. "Are people willing and able to pay for health services?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 35-42, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:457. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.