Gazelles, Industry Growth and Structural Change
This paper examines to what extent gazelles are the drivers of the growth of industries and structural change. To this purpose we analyze gazelles over a 12 year period (annually from 1997 until 2008) in the Netherlands, and relate them to the dynamics in employment per industry. We use a panel vector autoregressive (PVAR) model to explore the relations between the presence of gazelles and industry (employment) growth (with 43 two digit industries). An increase in the presence of gazelles in an industry appears to have a positive effect on the subsequent growth of the industry. We do not find evidence foran inverse causal relation: there are no long run positive effects of increases in industry growth on the presence of gazelles. There is also no relation between the over-representation of gazelles and subsequent industry growth.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +31 (0)43 38 83 830
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George J. Stigler, 1947. "Notes on the History of the Giffen Paradox," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55, pages 152.
- Azariadis, Costas, 1976. "On the Incidence of Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 115-25, February.
- E. Stam & R. Martin, 2012. "When High Tech ceases to be High Growth: The Loss of Dynamism of the Cambridgeshire Regio," Working Papers 12-10, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Acs, Zoltan J., 2008.
"Foundations of High Impact Entrepreneurship,"
Foundations and Trends(R) in Entrepreneurship,
now publishers, vol. 4(6), pages 535-620, June.
- Falck, Oliver, 2007.
"Mayflies and long-distance runners: The effects of new business formation on industry growth,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20474, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Oliver Falck, 2007. "Mayflies and long-distance runners: the effects of new business formation on industry growth," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(12), pages 919-922.
- Falck, Oliver, 2005. "Mayflies and long-distance runners: The effects of new business formation on industry growth," Passauer Diskussionspapiere, Volkswirtschaftliche Reihe V-39-05, University of Passau, Faculty of Business and Economics.
- Erik Stam & Frank G. van Oort, .
"Agglomeration economies and entrepreneurship: testing for spatial externalities in the Dutch ICT industry,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2005-09, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Frank G. van Oort & Erik Stam, 2005. "Agglomeration economies and entrepreneurship: testing for spatial externalities in the Dutch ICT industry," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 0508, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Mar 2005.
- Michael Fritsch & Alexandra Schroeter, 2009. "Are More Start-Ups Really Better? Quantity and Quality of New Businesses and Their Effect on Regional Development," Jena Economic Research Papers 2009-070, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Paul Krugman, 1986. "Strategic Trade Policy and the New International Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262610450, June.
- Josh Lerner, 2010. "The future of public efforts to boost entrepreneurship and venture capital," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 255-264, October.
- Agarwal, Rajshree, 1998. "Evolutionary trends of industry variables," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 511-525, July.
- U. Cantner & Jean-Luc Gaffard & L. Nesta, 2008.
"Schumpeterian perspectives on innovation, competition, and growth,"
- Uwe Cantner & Jean-Luc Gaffard & Lionel Nesta, 2008. "Schumpeterian perspectives on innovation, competition and growth," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 291-293, August.
- Jean-Luc Gaffard & U. Cantner & L. Nesta, 2008. "Shumpeterian perspectives on innovation, competition and growth," Post-Print halshs-00375824, HAL.
- Martin Carree & AndrÃ© Van Stel & Roy Thurik & Sander Wennekers, 2007.
"The relationship between economic development and business ownership revisited,"
Entrepreneurship & Regional Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 281-291, May.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Sander Wennekers & Martin Carree, 2007. "The relationship between economic development and business ownership revisited," Scales Research Reports H200705, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Glenn MacDonald & Emin Dinlersoz, 2005.
"The Industry Life-Cycle of the Size Distribution of Firms,"
05-10, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Emin Dinlersoz & Glenn MacDonald, 2009. "The Industry Life-Cycle of the Size Distribution of Firms," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 12(4), pages 648-667, October.
- Duncan CAMPBELL, 2001. "Can the digital divide be contained?," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 140(2), pages 119-141, 06.
- Wennekers, Sander & Thurik, Roy, 1999. " Linking Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 27-55, August.
- Love, Inessa & Zicchino, Lea, 2006. "Financial development and dynamic investment behavior: Evidence from panel VAR," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 190-210, May.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Raj Sethuraman & V. Srinivasan & Doyle Kim, 1999. "Asymmetric and Neighborhood Cross-Price Effects: Some Empirical Generalizations," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(1), pages 23-41.
- Falck, Oliver & Gold, Robert & Heblich, Stephan, . "Entrepreneurship education," Chapters in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Jean-Sébastien Lenfant, 2006. "Complementarity and Demand Theory: From the 1920s to the 1940s," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 38(5), pages 48-85, Supplemen.
- HansK. Hvide, 2009.
"The Quality of Entrepreneurs,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(539), pages 1010-1035, 07.
- Garbacz, Christopher & Thompson Jr, Herbert G., 2007. "Demand for telecommunication services in developing countries," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 276-289, June.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1996.
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- E. Stam & B. Nooteboom, 2011. "Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Institutions," Working Papers 11-03, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Audretsch, David B. & Keilbach, Max C. & Lehmann, Erik E., 2006. "Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195183511.
- Steven Klepper, 2002. "The capabilities of new firms and the evolution of the US automobile industry," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(4), pages 645-666, August.
- Barros, Pedro Luis Pita & Cadima, Nuno, 2000. "The Impact of Mobile Phone Diffusion on the Fixed-Link Network," CEPR Discussion Papers 2598, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Erik Stam, 2005. "The Geography Of Gazelles In The Netherlands," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 96(1), pages 121-127, 02.
- Puneet Manchanda & Asim Ansari & Sunil Gupta, 1999. "The “Shopping Basket”: A Model for Multicategory Purchase Incidence Decisions," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(2), pages 95-114.
- Kris De Jaegher, 2008. "Benchmark Two-Good Utility Functions," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 76(1), pages 44-65, 01.
- Israel M. Kirzner, 1997. "Entrepreneurial Discovery and the Competitive Market Process: An Austrian Approach," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 60-85, March.
- Metcalfe, John S. & Foster, John & Ramlogan, Ronnie, 2003.
"Adaptive Economic Growth,"
Centre on Regulation and Competition (CRC) Working papers
30637, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Mark J. Roberts & Emmanuel Skoufias, 1997. "The Long-Run Demand for Skilled and Unskilled Labor in Colombian Manufacturing Plants," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 330-334, May.
- Michael Fritsch, 2008. "How does new business formation affect regional development? Introduction to the special issue," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Gort, Michael & Klepper, Steven, 1982. "Time Paths in the Diffusion of Product Innovations," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 630-53, September.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1993. "Labor Demand and the Source of Adjustment Costs," NBER Working Papers 4394, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eckhardt, Jonathan T. & Shane, Scott A., 2011. "Industry changes in technology and complementary assets and the creation of high-growth firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 412-430, July.
- Karl-Johan Lundquist & Lars-Olof Olander & Martin Svensson Henning, 2008. "Producer services: growth and roles in long-term economic development," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(4), pages 463-477, May.
- Nirvikar Singh & Xavier Vives, 1984. "Price and Quantity Competition in a Differentiated Duopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 546-554, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:umamet:2011018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.