The effects of being out of the labor market on subsequent wages: evidence for Uruguay
Based on administrative data combining workers’ earnings histories and unemployment insurance benefits, we document short and long term wage losses for a large sample of Uruguayan formal workers with high tenure. We are able to study how wage losses vary across age groups, gender, industry and size of the firm. We also assess differences between switchers and non switchers, and consider the effect of the economic cycle. Our data allows providing original evidence about the smoothing role of the unemployment insurance program, even in a developing country. Our main findings indicate that workers loose around 48% of their pre-displacement wages in the first quarter after displacement, and after five years, losses are still 3%.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (598) 2400-0406
Fax: (598) 2419-8727
Web page: http://www.iecon.ccee.edu.uy/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eliason, Marcus & Storrie, Donald, 2004.
"Does job loss shorten life?,"
Working Papers in Economics
153, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics, revised 17 Sep 2007.
- Steven J. Davis & Till M. von Wachter, 2011.
"Recessions and the Cost of Job Loss,"
NBER Working Papers
17638, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth A. Couch & Dana W. Placzek, 2010. "Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers Revisited," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(1), pages 572-89, March.
- Marcus Eliason, 2011. "Income after job loss: the role of the family and the welfare state," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(5), pages 603-618.
- Carneiro, Anabela & Portugal, Pedro, 2006.
"Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers: Evidence from a Matched Employer-Employee Data Set,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2289, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Anabela Carneiro & Pedro Portugal, 2006. "Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers: Evidence from a Matched Employer-Employee Data Set," Working Papers w200614, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Anabela Carneiro & Pedro Portugal, 2006. "Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers: Evidence from a Matched Employer-employee Data Set," CEF.UP Working Papers 0607, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Lori G. Kletzer, 1998. "Job Displacement," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 115-136, Winter.
- Alexander Hijzen & Richard Upward & Peter W. Wright, 2010. "The Income Losses of Displaced Workers," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 45(1).
- Eliason, Marcus, 2004.
"Lost jobs, broken marriages,"
ISER Working Paper Series
2004-21, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Bruce C. Fallick, 1995.
"A review of the recent empirical literature on displaced workers,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
95-14, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bruce C. Fallick, 1996. "A review of the recent empirical literature on displaced workers," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 50(1), pages 5-16, October.
- Addison, John T & Portugal, Pedro, 1989. "Job Displacement, Relative Wage Changes, and Duration of Unemployment," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(3), pages 281-302, July.
- Lockwood, Ben, 1991. "Information Externalities in the Labour Market and the Duration of Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(4), pages 733-53, July.
- Kletzer, Lori Gladstein, 1989. "Returns to Seniority after Permanent Job Loss," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 536-43, June.
- Kaplan, David & Martinez, Gabriel & Robertson, Raymond, 2005.
"What Happens to Wages After Displacement?,"
3079, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jukka Appelqvist, 2007. "Wage and Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers in Finland," Discussion Papers 422, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Till von Wachter & Jae Song & Joyce Manchester, 2008. "Long-Term Earnings Losses due to Job Separation During the 1982 Recession: An Analysis Using Longitudinal Administrative Data from 1974 to 2004," Discussion Papers 0708-16, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Couch, Kenneth A. & Jolly, Nicholas A. & Placzek, Dana W., 2011. "Earnings losses of displaced workers and the business cycle: An analysis with administrative data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 16-19, April.
- Daniel Sullivan & Till von Wachter, 2009. "Job Displacement and Mortality: An Analysis Using Administrative Data," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 124(3), pages 1265-1306, August.
- Ruhm, Christopher J, 1991. "Are Workers Permanently Scarred by Job Displacements?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 319-24, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ulr:wpaper:dt-10-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrés Dean)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.