The effect of a common currency on trade : Ireland before and after the Sterling link
This paper uses the introduction of an exchange rate between Ireland and the UK in 1979 as a natural experiment to shed light on the effects of a common currency on the volume of international trade. No evidence is found from time series or panel regressions that the change of exchange rate regime had a significant effect on the pattern of Irish trade. This finding casts doubt on the belief that the European Economic and Monetary Union will have a major effect on the pattern of trade between participating countries.
|Date of creation:||May 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: UCD, Belfield, Dublin 4|
Fax: +353-1-283 0068
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lothian, James R. & Taylor, Mark P., 1997. "Real exchange rate behavior," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 945-954, December.
- Andrew K. Rose, 1999.
"One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
7432, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rose, Andrew K, 1999. "One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 2329, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rose, Andrew, 1999. "One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade," Seminar Papers 678, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 1998.
"Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Trade Flows; Evidence From the European Union,"
IMF Working Papers
98/107, International Monetary Fund.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 1999. "Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Trade Flows: Evidence from the European Union," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(3), pages 5.
- Marc Flandreau, 2001.
"The Bank, the States, and the Market: An Austro-Hungarian Tale for Euroland, 1867-1914,"
43, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Marc Flandreau, 2001. "The Bank, the States, and the Market: an Austro-Hungarian Tale for Euroland, 1867-1914," Sciences Po publications n°43, Sciences Po.
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-16, March.
- Cotter, John, 2000. "Volatility and the Euro: an Irish perspective," MPRA Paper 3535, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rodney Thom & J. Peter Neary, 1996.
"Punts, pounds and euros : in search of an optimum currency area,"
199624, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Neary, J.P. & Thom, D.R., 1996. "Punts, Pounds and Euros: In Search of an Optimum Currency Area," Papers 96/24, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Robert E. Lipsey & Harry P. Bowen, 1997. "World Trade Flows, 1970-1992, with Production and Tariff Data," NBER Working Papers 5910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edgar Morgenroth, 2000. "Exchange rates and trade: the case of Irish exports to Britain," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 107-110.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 2000. "An Estimate of the Effect of Currency Unions on Trade and Output," CEPR Discussion Papers 2631, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucn:wpaper:200110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolas Clifton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.