The Immediate Impact Of Euro On Intra-Regional Trade: An Event Study Approach
This article applies the event study approach to assess the immediate impact of Euro on intra-regional trade among the European Union (EU) members. Here, the post-Euro intra-regional trade has been compared with the pre-Euro intra-regional trade, while the implementation of Euro has been considered as the event. The results show that the trade enhancement at the immediate post-event period is 1.2 times of the immediate pre-event period for France, Germany, Italy and Spain, while immediate trade enhancement for all Euro-members is 1.14 times. The estimation has been statistically justified by using the gravity model. This study thus provides the first empirical evidence on the assessment of currency union impact on intra-regional trade by using the alternative method, the event study approach.
Volume (Year): 35 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Binder, John J, 1998. "The Event Study Methodology since 1969," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 111-37, September.
- K. Kalirajan, 1999. "Stochastic varying coefficients gravity model: An application in trade analysis," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(2), pages 185-193.
- Ferragina, Anna Maria & Giovannetti, Giorgia & Pastore, Francesco, 2005.
"A Tale of Parallel Integration Processes. A Gravity Analysis of EU Trade with Mediterranean and Central and Eastern European Countries,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1829, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pastore Francesco & Ferragina Anna Maria & Giovannetti Giorgia, 2009. "A Tale of Parallel Integration Processes: A Gravity Analysis of EU Trade with Mediterranean and Central and Eastern European Countries," Review of Middle East Economics and Finance, De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 21-44, September.
- Rodney Thom & Brendan M. Walsh, 2001. "The effect of a common currency on trade : Ireland before and after the Sterling link," Working Papers 200110, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:35:y:2010:i:3:p:43-55. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.