Stochastic varying coefficients gravity model: An application in trade analysis
In international trade analysis between countries, the central theme is the examination of whether or not there are any significant diff erences between the actual trade and potential trade, given the determinants of trade flows. Thus, estimating the potential trade is an important component in trade analysis. The objective of this paper is to suggest a methodology to estimate the potential trade flows between countries, using the gravity model, which has been established in the literature as the most successful empirical trade flow equation, usually producing a good fit. The application of the method has been demonstrated using trade flows between Australia and its trading partners in the Indian Ocean Rim.
Volume (Year): 26 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CJAS20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CJAS20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-16, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521818551 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yamazawa, Ippei, 1970. "Intensity Analysis of World Trade Flow," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 10(2), pages 61-90, February.
- Swamy, P A V B, 1970.
"Efficient Inference in a Random Coefficient Regression Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 38(2), pages 311-23, March.
- Tom Doan, . "SWAMY: RATS procedure to compute a GLS matrix weighted estimator for a panel data set," Statistical Software Components RTS00206, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
- Drysdale, Peter & Garnaut, Ross, 1982. "Trade Intensities and the Analysis of Bilateral Trade Flows in a Many-Country World : A Survey," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 22(2), pages 62-84, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:japsta:v:26:y:1999:i:2:p:185-193. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.