The Gender Wage Gap Among Young People in Italy
This paper provides evidence of the gender wage gap among young people (18-24) in Italy based on the YUSE data set and involves the Oaxaca and Ransom (1994) decomposition of the unconditional gender wage gap into discrimination and productivity components. About 70% of the overall gap is unexplained, a component which is higher than among adults. Almost 11% of the gap is explained by segregation of women in low wage industries. In the Northern Veneto, the explained component of the gap is almost double that in the Southern Campania (36.4%). This is clear evidence of the remarkable discrimination that young women experience especially in Southern regions, similar to the adult women.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: via Giovanni Paolo II, 132, 84084 - Fisciano (SA), ITALY|
Phone: +39 089 962152 -
Fax: +39 089 962049
Web page: http://www.celpe.unisa.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Altonji, Joseph G. & Blank, Rebecca M., 1999.
"Race and gender in the labor market,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 48, pages 3143-3259
- Eswar Prasad & Francesca Utili, 1998. "The Italian Labor Market; Stylized Facts, Institutions, and Directions for Reform," IMF Working Papers 98/42, International Monetary Fund.
- Oaxaca, Ronald L. & Ransom, Michael R., 1994. "On discrimination and the decomposition of wage differentials," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 5-21, March.
- Card, David, 1999. "The causal effect of education on earnings," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 30, pages 1801-1863 Elsevier.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1994.
"Returns to investment in education: A global update,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(9), pages 1325-1343, September.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1993. "Returns to investment in education : a global update," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1067, The World Bank.
- O'Higgins, Niall, 2001. "Youth unemployment and employment policy: a global perspective," MPRA Paper 23698, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erica L. Groshen, 1991.
"The Structure of the Female/Male Wage Differential: Is It Who You Are, What You Do, or Where You Work?,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 26(3), pages 457-472.
- Erica L. Groshen, 1987. "The structure of the female/male wage differential: is it who you are, what you do, or where you work?," Working Paper 8708, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sal:celpdp:82. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paolo Coccorese)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.