No More Free Beer Tomorrow? Economic policy and outcomes in Australia and New Zealand 1984-2003
In this chapter, we compare the experience of Australia and New Zealand over the period of microeconomic reform that began in the early 1980s. Of particular concern is the question of how New Zealand, with what were seen at the time as the ‘best’ set of economic policies in the OECD, experienced the worst set of economic outcomes, and why Australia, from a broadly similar starting position, did so much better. That the outcomes indeed have differed significantly was perhaps not conclusively clear in earlier work (Easton and Gerritsen (1996), Quiggin (1996), Hazledine (1998), Quiggin (1996)), but we are by now in a position to update the earlier comparisons with the advantage of what is now two full decades of history since the major ‘reform’ processes were set in train.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Apr 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Colin Clark Building, no 39, St. Lucia, Qld. 4072|
Phone: +61 7 3365 6601
Fax: +61 7 3365 6601
Web page: http://www.uq.edu.au/rsmg/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Melleny Black & Melody Guy & Nathan McLellan, 2003.
"Productivity in New Zealand 1988 to 2002,"
New Zealand Economic Papers,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 119-150.
- Quiggin, John, 1998. "Social Democracy and Market Reform in Australia and New Zealand," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(1), pages 76-95, Spring.
- Timothy Kehoe & Kim Ruhl, 2003. "Recent great depressions: Aggregate growth in New Zealand and Switzerland, 1973-2000," New Zealand Economic Papers, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 5-40.
- Lewis Evans & Arthur Grimes & Bryce Wilkinson, 1996. "Economic Reform in New Zealand 1984-95: The Pursuit of Efficiency," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(4), pages 1856-1902, December.
- Bob Gregory, 1999. "Labour Market Outcomes in the UK, NZ, Australia and the US: Observations on the Impact of Labour Market and Economic Reforms," CEPR Discussion Papers 401, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Paul Dalziel, 2002. "New Zealand's Economic Reforms: An assessment," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 31-46.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rsm:pubpol:p05_4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Adamson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.