Residual income and value creation: An investigation into the lost-capital paradigm
This paper presents a new way of measuring residual income, originally introduced by Magni (2000a, 2000b, 2003). Contrary to the standard residual income, the capital charge is equal to the capital lost by investors. The lost capital may be viewed as (a) the foregone capital, (b) the capital implicitly infused into the business, (c) the outstanding capital of a shadow project, (d) the claimholders' credit. Relations of the lost capital with book values and market values are studied, as well as relations of the lost-capital residual income with the classical standard paradigm; many appealing properties are derived, among which a property of earnings aggregation. Different concepts and results, provided by different authors in such different fields as economic theory, management accounting and corporate finance, are considered: O'Hanlon and Peasnell's (2002) unrecovered capital and Excess Value Created; Ohlson's (2005) Abnormal Earnings Growth; O'Byrne's (1997) EVA improvement; Miller and Modigliani's (1961) investment opportunities approach to valuation; Keynes's (1936) user cost; Drukarczyk and Schueler's (2000) Net Economic Income, Fernandez's (2002) Created Shareholder Value, Anthony's (1975) profit. They are all conveniently reinterpreted within the theoretical domain of the lost-capital paradigm and conjoined in a unified view. The results found make this new theoretical approach a good candidate for firm valuation, incentive compensation, capital budgeting decision-making
|Date of creation:||13 Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlo Magni, 2005. "On Decomposing Net Final Values: Eva, Sva and Shadow Project," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 59(1), pages 51-95, 08.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2005. "On decomposing net final values: EVA, SVA, and shadow project," MPRA Paper 12357, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2003. "Decomposition of Net Final Values: Systemic Value Added and Residual Income," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(2), pages 149-176, 04.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2000. "Decomposition of a Certain Cash Flow Stream: Differential Systemic Value and Net Final Value," MPRA Paper 7308, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richard S Ruback, 2002. "Capital Cash Flows: A Simple Approach to Valuing Risky Cash Flows," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 31(2), Summer.
- Merton H. Miller & Franco Modigliani, 1961. "Dividend Policy, Growth, and the Valuation of Shares," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34, pages 411.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2000. "Systemic Value Added, Residual Income and Decomposition of a Cash Flow Stream," MPRA Paper 5900, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James E. Walter, 1956. "Dividend Policies And Common Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 11(1), pages 29-41, 03.
- Roberto Ghiselli Ricci & Carlo Alberto Magni, 2009.
"Economic value added and systemic value added: symmetry, aditive coherence and differences in performance,"
PROYECCIONES FINANCIERAS Y VALORACION
005736, MASTER CONSULTORES.
- Roberto Ghiselli Ricci & Carlo Alberto Magni, 2006. "Economic value added and systemic value added: symmetry, additive coherence and differences in performance," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 151-154, May.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2004.
"Modelling excess profit,"
Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 595-617, May.
- Daniel Teichroew & Alexander A. Robichek & Michael Montalbano, 1965. "Mathematical Analysis of Rates of Return Under Certainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(3), pages 395-403, January.
- Weaver, Samuel C. & Weston, J. Fred, 2003. "A Unifying Theory of Value Based Management," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt0xw5m9mz, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Stephen F. O'Byrne & S. David Young, 2006. "Incentives and Investor Expectations," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 18(2), pages 98-105.
- P. H. Karmel, 1959. "The Marginal Efficiency Of Capital," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 35(72), pages 429-434, December.
- magni, Carlo Alberto, 2006.
"Zelig and the Art of Measuring Excess Profit,"
5663, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- DeAngelo, Harry & DeAngelo, Linda, 2006. "The irrelevance of the MM dividend irrelevance theorem," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 293-315, February.
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2009.
"Opportunity Cost, Excess Profit, and Counterfactual Conditionals,"
Frontiers in Finance and Economics,
SKEMA Business School, vol. 6(1), pages 118-154, April.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2003. "Opportunity cost, excess profit, and counterfactual conditionals," MPRA Paper 5695, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2007. "Relevance or irrelevance of retention for dividend policy irrelevance," MPRA Paper 5591, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Diran Bodenhorn, 1959. "On The Problem Of Capital Budgeting," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 14(4), pages 473-492, December.
- Daniel Teichroew & Alexander A. Robichek & Michael Montalbano, 1965. "An Analysis of Criteria for Investment and Financing Decisions Under Certainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(3), pages 151-179, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:7335. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.