A Sum&Discount method for appraising firms:An illustrative example
This paper presents a new way of valuing firms and measuring residual income. The method, originally introduced in Magni (2000a, 2000b, 2000c, 2001), is here renamed lost-capital paradigm. In order to enhance comprehension the presentation relies on a very simple numerical example which shows that the new paradigm of residual income enjoys a property of abnormal earnings aggregation, according to which the NPV (and therefore the market value) of the firm does not change if each residual income changes, as long as the (uncapitalized) sum of all residual incomes do not change. While radically different from the standard residual income, the difference between the two notions is equal to the interest accrued on the past cumulated standard residual incomes, which has interesting implications for incentive compensation.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2000. "Systemic Value Added, Residual Income and Decomposition of a Cash Flow Stream," MPRA Paper 5900, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2003.
"Opportunity cost, excess profit, and counterfactual conditionals,"
5695, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2009. "Opportunity Cost, Excess Profit, and Counterfactual Conditionals," Frontiers in Finance and Economics, SKEMA Business School, vol. 6(1), pages 118-154, April.
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2003. "Decomposition of Net Final Values: Systemic Value Added and Residual Income," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(2), pages 149-176, 04.
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2009.
"Modeling excess profit,"
PROYECCIONES FINANCIERAS Y VALORACION
005522, MASTER CONSULTORES.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2001. "Valore Aggiunto Sistemico: un'alternativa all'EVA quale indice di sovraprofitto periodale," MPRA Paper 7525, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2005. "On decomposing net final values: EVA, SVA, and shadow project," MPRA Paper 12357, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- magni, Carlo Alberto, 2006.
"Zelig and the Art of Measuring Excess Profit,"
5663, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roberto Ghiselli Ricci & Carlo Alberto Magni, 2009.
"Economic value added and systemic value added: symmetry, aditive coherence and differences in performance,"
PROYECCIONES FINANCIERAS Y VALORACION
005736, MASTER CONSULTORES.
- Roberto Ghiselli Ricci & Carlo Alberto Magni, 2006. "Economic value added and systemic value added: symmetry, additive coherence and differences in performance," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 151-154, May.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2000. "Decomposition of a Certain Cash Flow Stream: Differential Systemic Value and Net Final Value," MPRA Paper 7308, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2007. "Measuring performance and valuing firms: In search of the lost capital," MPRA Paper 5850, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlo Magni, 2005. "On Decomposing Net Final Values: Eva, Sva and Shadow Project," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 59(1), pages 51-95, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:6114. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.