Rating and ranking firms with fuzzy expert systems: the case of Camuzzi
In this paper we present a real-life application of a fuzzy expert system aimed at rating and ranking firms. Unlike standard DCF models, it integrates financial, strategic and business determinants and processes both quantitative and qualitative variables. Twenty-one value drivers are defined, concerning the target firm (strategic assets in place and expected financial performance), the acquisition (synergies, quality of management) and the sector (intensity of competition, entry barriers). Their combination via “if-then” rules leads to the definition of an output represented by a real number in the interval [0,1]. Such a number expresses the valuegenerating power of the target firm inclusive of synergies with the bidder (Strategic Enterprise Value). The system may be used for rating and ranking firms operating in the same sector. A regression analysis using hostile takeovers multiples may be employed to translate the score into price. The real-life case refers to Camuzzi (a natural gas distributor), acquired by Enel, the Italian ex monopolist of electric energy.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Magni, C. A. & Mastroleo G. & Facchinetti, G., 2001.
"A Fuzzy expert system for solving ReaL-Option decision processes,"
Fuzzy Economic Review,
International Association for Fuzzy-set Management and Economy (SIGEF), vol. 0(2), pages 51-73, November.
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2009. "A fuzzy expert system for solving real-option decision processes," PROYECCIONES FINANCIERAS Y VALORACION 005677, MASTER CONSULTORES.
- Richard S Ruback, 2002. "Capital Cash Flows: A Simple Approach to Valuing Risky Cash Flows," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 31(2), Summer.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1974. "Interactions of Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions-Implications for Capital Budgeting," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2004. "Modelling excess profit," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 595-617, May.
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2009. "Modeling excess profit," PROYECCIONES FINANCIERAS Y VALORACION 005522, MASTER CONSULTORES.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2002. "Investment decisions in the theory of finance: Some antinomies and inconsistencies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 206-217, February.
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2003. "Decomposition of Net Final Values: Systemic Value Added and Residual Income," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(2), pages 149-176, April.
- Richard G. Sloan, 1996. "Using Earnings And Free Cash Flow To Evaluate Corporate Performance," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 9(1), pages 70-79.
- Stefano Carlo Alberto Magni, 2007. "The use of fuzzy logic and expert systems for rating and pricing firms: A new perspective on valuation," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(11), pages 836-852, October.
- Malagoli, Stefano & Mastroleo, Giovanni & Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2005. "The use of fuzzy logic and expert systems for rating and pricing firms: a new perspective on valuation," MPRA Paper 11958, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlo Alberto Magni & Stefano Malagoli & Giovanni Mastroleo, 2006. "An Alternative Approach To Firms' Evaluation: Expert Systems And Fuzzy Logic," International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making (IJITDM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 5(01), pages 195-225.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2004. "An alternative approach to firms’ evaluation: expert systems and fuzzy logic," MPRA Paper 7879, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Carlo Alberto Magni & Giovanni Mastroleo & Marina Vignola & Gisella Facchinetti, 2009. "Strategic options and expert systems: a fruitful marriage," PROYECCIONES FINANCIERAS Y VALORACION 006122, MASTER CONSULTORES.
- Jing Liu, 2002. "Equity Valuation Using Multiples," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 135-172, 03. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:5889. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.