The use of fuzzy logic and expert systems for rating and pricing firms: a new perspective on valuation
This paper presents an expert system aimed at evaluating firms and business units. It makes use of fuzzy logic and integrates financial, strategic, managerial aspects, processing both quantitative and qualitative information. Twenty-nine value drivers are explicitly taken into account and combined together via “if-then” rules to produce an output. The output is a real number in the interval [0,1], representing the value-creation power of the firm. The system may be used for rating, ranking and pricing firms as well as for assessing the impact of managers’ decisions on value creation and as a tool of corporate governance.
|Date of creation:||10 May 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Managerial Finance 11.33(2007): pp. 836-852|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Magni, C. A. & Mastroleo G. & Facchinetti, G., 2001.
"A Fuzzy expert system for solving ReaL-Option decision processes,"
Fuzzy Economic Review,
International Association for Fuzzy-set Management and Economy (SIGEF), vol. 0(2), pages 51-73, November.
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2009. "A fuzzy expert system for solving real-option decision processes," PROYECCIONES FINANCIERAS Y VALORACION 005677, MASTER CONSULTORES.
- Richard G. Sloan, 1996. "Using Earnings And Free Cash Flow To Evaluate Corporate Performance," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 9(1), pages 70-79.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1984. " The Capital Structure Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 575-92, July.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1984. "Capital structure puzzle," Working papers 1548-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Carlo Alberto Magni & Giovanni Mastroleo & Marina Vignola & Gisella Facchinetti, 2009. "Strategic options and expert systems: a fruitful marriage," PROYECCIONES FINANCIERAS Y VALORACION 006122, MASTER CONSULTORES.
- Stewart C. Myers, 1984. "Capital Structure Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 1393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard S Ruback, 2002. "Capital Cash Flows: A Simple Approach to Valuing Risky Cash Flows," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 31(2), Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11958. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.