Investment decisions, equivalent risk and bounded rationality
The Net Present Value maximizing model shows fallacies and inconsistencies that may be easily unmasked by performing a cognitive analysis of the decision-making process implied by the maximization problem. The model may be conveniently rescued if the maximizing version of the criterion is shunt aside and a boundedly rational interpretation is given. The resulting ‘mixed strategy’, currently in use by many real-life decision makers, opens up terrain to a fruitful cooperation between bounded and unbounded rationality. This paper is consistent with a fluid and nondichotomous interpretation of dual-process theories.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Carlo Alberto Magni & Giovanni Mastroleo & Marina Vignola & Gisella Facchinetti, 2009. "Strategic options and expert systems: a fruitful marriage," PROYECCIONES FINANCIERAS Y VALORACION 006122, MASTER CONSULTORES.
- Ortmann, Andreas & Gigerenzer, Gerd & Borges, Bernhard & Goldstein, Daniel G., 2008. "The Recognition Heuristic: A Fast and Frugal Way to Investment Choice?," Handbook of Experimental Economics Results, Elsevier.
- Abel, Andrew B., 1990.
"Consumption and investment,"
Handbook of Monetary Economics,
in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 14, pages 725-778
- Carlo Alberto Magni & Stefano Malagoli & Giovanni Mastroleo, 2006.
"An Alternative Approach To Firms' Evaluation: Expert Systems And Fuzzy Logic,"
International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making (IJITDM),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 5(01), pages 195-225.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2004. "An alternative approach to firms’ evaluation: expert systems and fuzzy logic," MPRA Paper 7879, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 1987.
"Investment Incentives and the Discounting of Depreciation Allowances,"
in: The Effects of Taxation on Capital Accumulation, pages 295-304
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 1986. "Investment Incentives and the Discounting of Depreciation Allowances," NBER Working Papers 1941, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
- John Graham & Campbell Harvey, 2002. "HOW DO CFOs MAKE CAPITAL BUDGETING AND CAPITAL STRUCTURE DECISIONS?," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 15(1), pages 8-23.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Iwan Meier, 2002.
"Do We Need CAPM for Capital Budgeting?,"
Financial Management Association, vol. 31(4), Winter.
- Gigerenzer, Gerd & Todd, Peter M. & ABC Research Group,, 2000. "Simple Heuristics That Make Us Smart," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195143812.
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2009.
"A fuzzy expert system for solving real-option decision processes,"
PROYECCIONES FINANCIERAS Y VALORACION
005677, MASTER CONSULTORES.
- Magni, C. A. & Mastroleo G. & Facchinetti, G., 2001. "A Fuzzy expert system for solving ReaL-Option decision processes," Fuzzy Economic Review, International Association for Fuzzy-set Management and Economy (SIGEF), vol. 0(2), pages 51-73, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:6073. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.