Theoretical Flaws In The Use Of The Capm For Investment Decisions
This paper uses counterexamples and simple formalization to show that the standard CAPM-based Net Present Value may not be used for investment valuations. The reason is that the standard CAPM-based capital budgeting criterion implies a notion of value which does not comply with the principle of additivity. Framing effects arise in decisions so that different descriptions of the same problem lead to different choices. As a result, the CAPM-based NPV as a tool for valuing projects and making investment decisions is theoretically unsound, even if the CAPM assumptions are met.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2005|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ravi Jagannathan & Iwan Meier, 2002.
"Do We Need CAPM for Capital Budgeting?,"
Financial Management Association, vol. 31(4), Winter.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Iwan Meier, 2002. "Do We Need CAPM for Capital Budgeting?," NBER Working Papers 8719, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2007. "Project valuation and investment decisions: CAPM versus arbitrage," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 137-140.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2007. "Project valuation and investment decisions: CAPM versus arbitrage," MPRA Paper 14525, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2002. "Investment decisions in the theory of finance: Some antinomies and inconsistencies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 206-217, February.
- Bierman, Harold, Jr & Hass, Jerome E, 1973. "Capital Budgeting Under Uncertainty: A Reformulation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 119-129, March.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
- Bogue, Marcus C & Roll, Richard, 1974. "Capital Budgeting of Risky Projects with "Imperfect" Markets for Physical Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 601-613, May.
- Dybvig, Philip H & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr, 1982. "Mean-Variance Theory in Complete Markets," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(2), pages 233-251, April.
- John Graham & Campbell Harvey, 2002. "HOW DO CFOs MAKE CAPITAL BUDGETING AND CAPITAL STRUCTURE DECISIONS?," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 15(1), pages 8-23.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2009. "Correct or incorrect application of CAPM? Correct or incorrect decisions with CAPM?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(2), pages 549-560, January.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2007. "Correct or incorrect application of CAPM? Correct or incorrect decisions with CAPM?," MPRA Paper 5471, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1977. "Risk-adjusted discount rates and capital budgeting under uncertainty," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 3-24, August.
- Ekern, Steinar, 2006. "A Dozen Consistent CAPM-Related Valuation Models - So Why Use the Incorrect One?," Discussion Papers 2006/6, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics, revised 25 Apr 2007.
- Mossin, Jan, 1969. "Security Pricing and Investment Criteria in Competitive Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(5), pages 749-756, December.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2007. "CAPM and capital budgeting: present versus future, equilibrium versus disequilibrium, decision versus valuation," MPRA Paper 5468, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stapleton, Richard C, 1974. "Capital Budgeting under Uncertainty: A Reformation: Comment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(5), pages 1583-1584, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:6330. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.