Theoretical Flaws In The Use Of The Capm For Investment Decisions
This paper uses counterexamples and simple formalization to show that the standard CAPM-based Net Present Value may not be used for investment valuations. The reason is that the standard CAPM-based capital budgeting criterion implies a notion of value which does not comply with the principle of additivity. Framing effects arise in decisions so that different descriptions of the same problem lead to different choices. As a result, the CAPM-based NPV as a tool for valuing projects and making investment decisions is theoretically unsound, even if the CAPM assumptions are met.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2005|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F., 1977. "Risk-adjusted discount rates and capital budgeting under uncertainty," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 3-24, August.
- Stapleton, Richard C, 1974. "Capital Budgeting under Uncertainty: A Reformation: Comment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(5), pages 1583-84, December.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2007.
"Correct or incorrect application of CAPM? Correct or incorrect decisions with CAPM?,"
5471, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2009. "Correct or incorrect application of CAPM? Correct or incorrect decisions with CAPM?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(2), pages 549-560, January.
- Bierman, Harold, Jr & Hass, Jerome E, 1973. "Capital Budgeting Under Uncertainty: A Reformulation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 119-29, March.
- Dybvig, Philip H & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr, 1982. "Mean-Variance Theory in Complete Markets," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(2), pages 233-51, April.
- Ekern, Steinar, 2006. "A Dozen Consistent CAPM-Related Valuation Models - So Why Use the Incorrect One?," Discussion Papers 2006/6, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics, revised 25 Apr 2007.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2007. "CAPM and capital budgeting: present versus future, equilibrium versus disequilibrium, decision versus valuation," MPRA Paper 5468, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Iwan Meier, 2002.
"Do We Need CAPM for Capital Budgeting?,"
NBER Working Papers
8719, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Graham & Campbell Harvey, 2002. "HOW DO CFOs MAKE CAPITAL BUDGETING AND CAPITAL STRUCTURE DECISIONS?," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 15(1), pages 8-23.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2007.
"Project valuation and investment decisions: CAPM versus arbitrage,"
14525, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2007. "Project valuation and investment decisions: CAPM versus arbitrage," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 137-140.
- Bogue, Marcus C & Roll, Richard, 1974. "Capital Budgeting of Risky Projects with "Imperfect" Markets for Physical Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 601-13, May.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2002. "Investment decisions in the theory of finance: Some antinomies and inconsistencies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 206-217, February.
- Mossin, Jan, 1969. "Security Pricing and Investment Criteria in Competitive Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(5), pages 749-56, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:6330. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.