Correct or incorrect application of CAPM? Correct or incorrect decisions with CAPM?
This paper focuses on inconsistencies arising from the use of NPV and CAPM for capital budgeting. It shows that (i) CAPM capital budgeting decision-making based on disequilibrium NPV is deductively inferred by the Capital Asset Pricing Model, (ii) the use of the disequilibrium NPV is widespread in finance both as a decision rule and as a valuation tool, (iii) the disequilibrium NPV does not guarantee additivity nor consistency with arbitrage pricing, so that it is unreliable for valuation, (iv) Magni’s (2002, 2007a, forthcoming) criticism of the NPV criterion refers to the disequilibrium NPV, and De Reyck’s (2005) project valuation method, on the basis of which Magni’s criticism to NPV is objected, leaves decision makers open to arbitrage losses and incorrect decisions.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2007.
"Project valuation and investment decisions: CAPM versus arbitrage,"
Applied Financial Economics Letters,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 137-140.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2007. "Project valuation and investment decisions: CAPM versus arbitrage," MPRA Paper 14525, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2006. "CAPM-based capital budgeting and nonadditivity," MPRA Paper 7290, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1996. "Discounting under Uncertainty," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69(4), pages 415-28, October.
- Bogue, Marcus C & Roll, Richard, 1974. "Capital Budgeting of Risky Projects with "Imperfect" Markets for Physical Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 601-13, May.
- Stapleton, Richard C, 1971. "Portfolio Analysis, Stock Valuation and Capital Budgeting Decision Rules for Risky Projects," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 26(1), pages 95-117, March.
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2009. "The use of Npv and CAPM for capital budgeting is not a good idea. A reply to De Reyck (2005)," PROYECCIONES FINANCIERAS Y VALORACION 005546, MASTER CONSULTORES.
- Brounen, D. & de Jong, A. & Koedijk, C.G., 2004. "Corporate Finance In Europe Confronting Theory With Practice," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2004-002-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2002. "Investment decisions in the theory of finance: Some antinomies and inconsistencies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 206-217, February.
- Stapleton, Richard C, 1974. "Capital Budgeting under Uncertainty: A Reformation: Comment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(5), pages 1583-84, December.
- Litzenberger, Robert H. & Budd, Alan P., 1970. "Corporate Investment Criteria and the Valuation of Risk Assets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(4-5), pages 395-419, December.
- John Graham & Campbell Harvey, 2002. "HOW DO CFOs MAKE CAPITAL BUDGETING AND CAPITAL STRUCTURE DECISIONS?," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 15(1), pages 8-23.
- Donald L. Tuttle & Robert H. Litzenberger, 1968. "Leverage, Diversification And Capital Market Effects On A Risk‐Adjusted Capital Budgeting Framework," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(3), pages 427-443, 06.
- Haley, Charles W. & Schall, Lawrence D., 1978. "Problems with the Concept of the Cost of Capital," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 847-870, December.
- Benninga, Simon, 2006. "Principles of Finance with Excel," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195301502, December.
- Rubinstein, Mark E, 1973. "A Mean-Variance Synthesis of Corporate Financial Theory," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 167-81, March.
- Lewellen, Wilbur G, 1977. "Some Observations on Risk-Adjusted Discount Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1331-37, September.
- Mossin, Jan, 1969. "Security Pricing and Investment Criteria in Competitive Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(5), pages 749-56, December.
- Hamada, Robert S, 1969. "Portfolio Analysis, Market Equilibrium and Corporation Finance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 24(1), pages 13-31, March.
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2007.
"Project selection and equivalent CAPM-based investment criteria,"
Applied Financial Economics Letters,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 3(3), pages 165-168.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2007. "Project selection and equivalent CAPM-based investment criteria," MPRA Paper 14526, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- De Reyck, Bert, 2005. "On "investment decisions in the theory of finance: Some antinomies and inconsistencies"," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 499-504, March.
- Dirk Brounen & Abe de Jong & Kees Koedijk, 2004. "Corporate Finance in Europe: Confronting Theory with Practice," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 33(4), Winter.
- Ekern, Steinar, 2006. "A Dozen Consistent CAPM-Related Valuation Models - So Why Use the Incorrect One?," Discussion Papers 2006/6, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics, revised 25 Apr 2007.
- Bierman, Harold, Jr & Hass, Jerome E, 1973. "Capital Budgeting Under Uncertainty: A Reformulation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 119-29, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:5471. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.