Capital budgeting practices: A comparative study of the Netherlands and China
This paper compares the use of capital budgeting techniques of Dutch and Chinese firms, using data obtained from a survey among 250 Dutch and 300 Chinese companies. Our main aim is to analyse the use of capital budgeting techniques by companies in both countries from a comparative perspective to see whether economic development matters. The empirical analysis provides evidence that Dutch Chief Financial Officers (CFOs) on average use more sophisticated capital budgeting techniques than Chinese CFOs do. At the same, however, our results suggest that the difference between Dutch and Chinese firms is smaller than might have been expected based upon the differences in the level of economic development between both countries, at least with respect to the use of methods of estimating the cost of capital and the use of CAPM as the method of estimating the cost of equity.
Volume (Year): 16 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Suri, Tavneet & Boozer, Michael A. & Ranis, Gustav & Stewart, Frances, 2011.
"Paths to Success: The Relationship Between Human Development and Economic Growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 506-522, April.
- Michael Boozer & Gustav Ranis & Frances Stewart & Tavneet Suri, 2003. "Paths to Success: The Relationship Between Human Development and Economic Growth," Working Papers 874, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Brounen, D. & de Jong, A. & Koedijk, C.G., 2004. "Corporate Finance In Europe Confronting Theory With Practice," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2004-002-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Schall, Lawrence D & Sundem, Gary L & Geijsbeek, William R, Jr, 1978. "Survey and Analysis of Capital Budgeting Methods," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 281-87, March.
- World Bank, 2005. "World Development Indicators 2005," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 12425, August.
- repec:wbk:wbpubs:12426 is not listed on IDEAS
- Trahan, Emery A. & Gitman, Lawrence J., 1995. "Bridging the theory-practice gap in corporate finance: A survey of chief financial officers," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 73-87.
- Dirk Brounen & Abe de Jong & Kees Koedijk, 2004. "Corporate Finance in Europe: Confronting Theory with Practice," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 33(4), Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:16:y:2007:i:5:p:630-654. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.