What Determines the Use of Capital Budgeting Methods? Evidence from Swedish listed companies
The choice of capital budgeting methods used by companies listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange (SSE) is examined using multivariate regression analysis on questionnaire data from 2005 and 2008. Both recommended and non-recommended methods are found to be commonly used, with large companies using capital budgeting methods more frequently than small firms. The choice of capital budgeting methods is also influenced by leverage, growth opportunities, dividend pay-out ratios, the choice of target debt ratio, the degree of management ownership, foreign sales, industry, and individual characteristics of the CEO. The total use of capital budgeting methods is lower in Swedish companies compared to U.S. and continental European companies.
|Date of creation:||16 Feb 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: HUI Research, Regeringsgatan 60, 103 29 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 (0)8 762 72 80
Fax: +46 (0)8 679 76 06
Web page: http://www.hui.se/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stanley, Marjorie T & Block, Stanley B, 1984. "A Survey of Multinational Capital Budgeting," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 19(1), pages 36-54, March.
- Sandahl, Gert & Sjogren, Stefan, 2003. "Capital budgeting methods among Sweden's largest groups of companies. The state of the art and a comparison with earlier studies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 51-69, April.
- John R. Graham & Campbell R. Harvey & Shiva Rajgopal, 2004.
"The Economic Implications of Corporate Financial Reporting,"
NBER Working Papers
10550, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R. & Rajgopal, Shiva, 2005. "The economic implications of corporate financial reporting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-3), pages 3-73, December.
- Giang Truong & Graham Partington & Maurice Peat, 2008. "Cost-of-Capital Estimation and Capital-Budgeting Practice in Australia," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 33(1), pages 95-121, June.
- Brounen, D. & de Jong, A. & Koedijk, C.G., 2004. "Corporate Finance In Europe Confronting Theory With Practice," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2004-002-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Kwong, Han Chun, 1986. "The sophistication of capital budgeting in Malaysian companies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 175-181.
- Segelod, Esbjörn, 1995. "Resource allocation in divisionalized groups : a survey of major Swedish groups," Working Papers 1995:3, Uppsala University, Department of Business Studies.
- Hermes, Niels & Smid, Peter & Yao, Lu, 2007.
"Capital budgeting practices: A comparative study of the Netherlands and China,"
International Business Review,
Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 630-654, October.
- Smid, P. & Yao, L. & Hermes, N., 2006. "Capital Budgetting Practices: A comparative Study of the Netherlands and China," Research Report 06E02, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Eng, L. L. & Mak, Y. T., 2003. "Corporate governance and voluntary disclosure," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 325-345.
- Han Donker & Bernard Santen & Saif Zahir, 2009. "Ownership structure and the likelihood of financial distress in the Netherlands," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(21), pages 1687-1696.
- Healy, Paul M., 1985. "The effect of bonus schemes on accounting decisions," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1-3), pages 85-107, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:huiwps:0057. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Nilsson)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.