Un Test De La Théorie Du Financement Hiérarchisé Sur Données De Panel Françaises
The French firms at the Paris stock exchange seem to adopt a financing hierarchy by privileging internal resources to external resources. When using external financing, debt is preferred to eq-uity. The validation of the pecking order theory is based on the existence of asymmetric informa-tion involving adverse selection problems. This study confirms the role of asymmetric informa-tion on the choice of financing of the French firms. The firms most sensitive to asymmetric in-formation prefer debt financing. On the contrary, the firms less affected by adverse selection problems prefer equity financing.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Publication status:||Published in 23ème Conférence Internationale de l'AFFI, Jun 2006, Poitiers, France|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00515707|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1991. " The Theory of Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 297-355, March.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., .
"The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- T. S. Breusch & A. R. Pagan, 1980. "The Lagrange Multiplier Test and its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 239-253.
- Jeffrey A. Wurgler & Malcolm P. Baker, 2001.
"Market Timing and Capital Structure,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm181, Yale School of Management.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Frank, Murray Z. & Goyal, Vidhan K., 2003. "Testing the pecking order theory of capital structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 217-248, February.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, .
"Testing Tradeoff and Pecking Order Predictions about Dividends and Debt.”,"
CRSP working papers
506, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Eugene F. Fama, 2002. "Testing Trade-Off and Pecking Order Predictions About Dividends and Debt," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 1-33, March.
- Franck Bancel & Usha R. Mittoo, 2004. "Cross-Country Determinants of Capital Structure Choice: A Survey of European Firms," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 33(4), Winter.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1984. "Capital structure puzzle," Working papers 1548-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Dirk Brounen & Abe de Jong & Kees Koedijk, 2004. "Corporate Finance in Europe: Confronting Theory with Practice," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 33(4), Winter.
- Christopher Hennessy & Toni Whited, 2004.
2004 Meeting Papers
592, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Brounen, D. & de Jong, A. & Koedijk, C.G., 2004. "Corporate Finance In Europe Confronting Theory With Practice," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2004-002-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Stewart C. Myers, 1984. "Capital Structure Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 1393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frank, Murray Z. & Goyal, Vidhan K., 2004. "The effect of market conditions on capital structure adjustment," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 47-55, March.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1984. " The Capital Structure Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 575-92, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00515707. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.