The Value of Tax Shields IS Equal to the Present Value of Tax Shields
In a recent paper, Fernandez (2004a) argues that the present value effect of the tax saving on debt cannot be calculated as simply the present value of the tax shields associated with interest. This contradicts standard results in the literature. It implies that, even though the capital market is complete, value-additivity is violated. As a consequence, adjusted present value formulae of a standard sort cannot be used. Also, it implies that the value of the tax saving differs from conventional estimates by a considerable amount. We reconcile Fernandez's results with standard valuation formulae for the tax saving from debt. We show that, as one would expect, the value of the debt tax saving IS the present value of the tax savings from interest. The apparent violation of value-additivity in the Fernandez paper comes from mixing the Miles-Ezzell and Miller-Modigliani leverage policies.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grinblatt, Mark & Liu, Jun, 2008.
"Debt policy, corporate taxes, and discount rates,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 225-254, July.
- Mark Grinblatt & Jun Liu, 2002. "Debt Policy, Corporate Taxes, and Discount Rates," NBER Working Papers 9353, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grinblatt, Mark & Liu, Jun, 2002. "Debt Policy, Corporate Taxes, and Discount Rates," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt7dx622kj, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1974. "Interactions of Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions-Implications for Capital Budgeting," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Ian A. Cooper & Kjell G. Nyborg, 2008.
"Tax-Adjusted Discount Rates with Investor Taxes and Risky Debt,"
Financial Management Association International, vol. 37(2), pages 365-379, 06.
- Cooper, Ian & Nyborg, Kjell G, 2008. "Tax-Adjusted Discount Rates with Investor Taxes and Risky Debt," CEPR Discussion Papers 6646, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cooper, Ian A. & Nyborg, Kjell G., 2005. "Tax-adjusted discount rates with investor taxes and risky debt," Discussion Papers 2005/15, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics, revised 20 Sep 2007.
- Robert A. Taggart & Jr., 1991. "Consistent valuation and Cost of Capital Expressions With Corporate and Personal Taxes," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 20(3), Fall.
- Miles, James A & Ezzell, John R, 1985. " Reformulating Tax Shield Valuation: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(5), pages 1485-92, December.
- Miles, James A. & Ezzell, John R., 1980. "The Weighted Average Cost of Capital, Perfect Capital Markets, and Project Life: A Clarification," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(03), pages 719-730, September.
- Richard S Ruback, 2002. "Capital Cash Flows: A Simple Approach to Valuing Risky Cash Flows," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 31(2), Summer.
- Fernandez, Pablo, 2004. "Reply to "The value of tax shields is equal to the present value of tax shields"," IESE Research Papers D/576, IESE Business School.
- Fernandez, Pablo, 2004.
"The value of tax shields is NOT equal to the present value of tax shields,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 145-165, July.
- Fernández , Pablo, 2002. "The value of tax shields is not equal to the present value of tax shields," IESE Research Papers D/459, IESE Business School.
- Enrique R. Arzac & Lawrence R. Glosten, 2005. "A Reconsideration of Tax Shield Valuation," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 11(4), pages 453-461.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:5182. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.