Equivalence of ten different methods for valuing companies by cash flow discounting
This paper shows that ten methods of company valuation using cash flow discounting (WACC; equity cash flow; capital cash flow; adjusted present value; residual income; EVA; business's risk-adjusted equity cash flow; business's risk-adjusted free cash flow; risk-free-adjusted equity cash flow; and risk-free-adjusted free cash flow) always give the same value when identical assumptions are used. This result is logical, since all the methods analyze the same reality based upon the same assumptions; they only differ in the cash flows taken as the starting point for the valuation. We present all ten methods allowing the required return to debt to be different from the cost of debt. Seven of them require an iterative process. Only the APV and business risk-adjusted cash flows methods do not require iteration.
|Date of creation:||03 Nov 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IESE Business School, Av Pearson 21, 08034 Barcelona, SPAIN|
Web page: http://www.iese.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard S Ruback, 2002. "Capital Cash Flows: A Simple Approach to Valuing Risky Cash Flows," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 31(2), Summer.
- Robert A. Taggart & Jr., 1991. "Consistent valuation and Cost of Capital Expressions With Corporate and Personal Taxes," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 20(3), Fall.
- repec:bla:joares:v:38:y:2000:i:1:p:45-70 is not listed on IDEAS
- Myers, Stewart C, 1974. "Interactions of Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions-Implications for Capital Budgeting," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Fernandez, Pablo, 2004.
"The value of tax shields is NOT equal to the present value of tax shields,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 145-165, July.
- Fernández , Pablo, 2002. "The value of tax shields is not equal to the present value of tax shields," IESE Research Papers D/459, IESE Business School.
- Joseph Tham & Ignacio Velez-Pareja, 2000. "The Correct Discount Rate for the Tax Shield: The N-period Case," PROYECCIONES FINANCIERAS Y VALORACION 003578, MASTER CONSULTORES.
- Miles, James A. & Ezzell, John R., 1980. "The Weighted Average Cost of Capital, Perfect Capital Markets, and Project Life: A Clarification," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(03), pages 719-730, September.
- Isik Inselbag & Howard Kaufold, 1997. "Two Dcf Approaches For Valuing Companies Under Alternative Financing Strategies (And How To Choose Between Them)," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 10(1), pages 114-122.
- Kaplan, Steven N & Ruback, Richard S, 1995. " The Valuation of Cash Flow Forecasts: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1059-1093, September.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Richard S. Ruback, 1994. "The Valuation of Cash Flow Forecasts: An Empirical Analysis," NBER Working Papers 4724, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lewellen, Wilbur G. & Emery, Douglas R., 1986. "Corporate Debt Management and the Value of the Firm," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(04), pages 415-426, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)