International trade and economic growth in the Polish economy
In this paper the results of linear and nonlinear causality examination performed for openness of Polish economy and its economic growth are presented. In order to extract the impact of world crisis on Polish economy we decided to apply two samples (containing quarterly data) – the full sample (Q1 1996 – Q3 2009) and pre-crisis sample (Q1 1996 – Q3 2008). The applied linear causality tests support the existence of feedback between growth rate of exports and GDP growth irrespectively of chosen time period. For both examined samples no direct causal links between growth rates of GDP and imports were detected, one can only suppose the existence of indirect links before the crisis. Bidirectional causality was found for growth rates of exports and imports only for pre-crisis sample. Some weak evidence of causal link running from growth rate of imports to exports growth rate was also found for data that covers crisis, which may somehow be interpreted as a confirmation of the fact that import growth precedes exports growth also in hectic periods. It results from our computations that in time of financial crisis of 2008 the main factor that caused Polish GDP to remain positive was the domestic demand. The results of nonlinear causality analysis provided only some weak evidence of causality running from GDP to exports, from GDP to imports and from imports to exports.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jordan Shan & Fiona Sun, 1998. "On the export-led growth hypothesis for the little dragons: An empirical reinvestigation," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 26(4), pages 353-371, December.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1996.
"Equilibrium Locations of Vertically Linked Industries,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(2), pages 341-59, May.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1993. "Equilibrium Locations of Vertically Linked Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 802, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anthony J. Venables, 1993. "Equilibrium Locations of Vertically Linked Industries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0137, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- R. Scott Hacker & Abdulnasser Hatemi-J, 2006. "Tests for causality between integrated variables using asymptotic and bootstrap distributions: theory and application," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(13), pages 1489-1500.
- Awokuse, Titus O., 2007. "Causality between exports, imports, and economic growth: Evidence from transition economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 389-395, March.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- McAleer, Michael & Oxley, Les, 1998.
" Cointegration in Practice,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 417-22, December.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985.
"Understanding Spurious Regressions in Econometrics,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
757, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986. "Understanding spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 311-340, December.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & Moshe Buchinsky, 2000. "A Three-Step Method for Choosing the Number of Bootstrap Repetitions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 23-52, January.
- Lukasz Lach, 2010.
"Application of Bootstrap Methods in Investigation of Size of the Granger Causality Test for Integrated VAR Systems,"
Managing Global Transitions,
University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 8(2), pages 167-186.
- Lach, Łukasz, 2010. "Application of bootstrap methods in investigation of size of the Granger causality test for integrated VAR systems," MPRA Paper 52285, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mantalos Panagiotis, 2000. "A Graphical Investigation of the Size and Power of the Granger-Causality Tests in Integrated-Cointegrated VAR Systems," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-18, April.
- Bewley, R. & Yang, M., 1996.
"On the Size and Power of System Tests for Cointegration,"
96/9, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Ronald Bewley & Minxian Yang, 1998. "On The Size And Power Of System Tests For Cointegration," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 675-679, November.
- Ahmad, Jaleel & Kwan, Andy C. C., 1991. "Causality between exports and economic growth : Empirical evidence from Africa," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 243-248, November.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- An-Sing Chen & James Wuh Lin, 2004. "Cointegration and detectable linear and nonlinear causality: analysis using the London Metal Exchange lead contract," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(11), pages 1157-1167.
- Zapata, Hector O. & Rambaldi, Alicia N., 1996.
"Monte Carlo Evidence On Cointegration And Causation,"
31690, Louisiana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness.
- Zapata, Hector O & Rambaldi, Alicia N, 1997. "Monte Carlo Evidence on Cointegration and Causation," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(2), pages 285-98, May.
- Xu, Zhenhui, 1996. "On the Causality between Export Growth and GDP Growth: An Empirical Reinvestigation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 172-84, June.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992.
"Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Ali F. Darrat, 1986. "Trade and Development: The Asian Experience," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 6(2), pages 695-699, Fall.
- Balassa, Bela, 1985. "Exports, policy choices, and economic growth in developing countries after the 1973 oil shock," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 23-35.
- Jung, Woo S. & Marshall, Peyton J., 1985. "Exports, growth and causality in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-12.
- Michaely, Michael, 1977. "Exports and growth : An empirical investigation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 49-53, February.
- Toda, Hiro Y, 1994. "Finite Sample Properties of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegrating Ranks when Linear Trends are Present," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 66-79, February.
- Henfryk Gurgul & lukasz Lach, 2009. "Linear versus nonlinear causalityfor dax companies," Operations Research and Decisions, Wroclaw University of Technology, Institute of Organization and Management, vol. 3, pages 27-46.
- Hiemstra, Craig & Jones, Jonathan D, 1994. " Testing for Linear and Nonlinear Granger Causality in the Stock Price-Volume Relation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1639-64, December.
- Diks, Cees & Panchenko, Valentyn, 2006.
"A new statistic and practical guidelines for nonparametric Granger causality testing,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 30(9-10), pages 1647-1669.
- Diks, C.G.H. & Panchenko, V., 2004. "A new statistic and practical guidelines for nonparametric Granger causality testing," CeNDEF Working Papers 04-11, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Tyler, William G., 1981. "Growth and export expansion in developing countries : Some empirical evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 121-130, August.
- Judith A. Giles, & Cara L. Williams, 1999. "Export-led Growth: A Survey of the Empirical Literature and Some Noncausality Results," Econometrics Working Papers 9901, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1972. "Money, Income, and Causality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 540-52, September.
- Diks, C.G.H. & Panchenko, V., 2004.
"A note on the Hiemstra-Jones test for Granger non-causality,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
04-10, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Diks Cees & Panchenko Valentyn, 2005. "A Note on the Hiemstra-Jones Test for Granger Non-causality," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(2), pages 1-9, June.
- Judith A. Giles & Sadaf Mirza, 1999. "Some Pretesting Issues on Testing for Granger Noncausality," Econometrics Working Papers 9914, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Eleanor Doyle, 1998. "Export-output causality: The Irish case 1953–93," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 26(2), pages 147-161, June.
- Pin-Huang Chou & Guofu Zhou, 2006. "Using Bootstrap to Test Portfolio Efficiency," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 7(2), pages 217-249, November.
- Ram, Rati, 1987. "Exports and Economic Growth in Developing Countries: Evidence from Time-Series and Cross-Section Data," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(1), pages 51-72, October.
- Balassa, Bela, 1978. "Exports and economic growth : Further evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 181-189, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:52286. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.