Using Bootstrap to Test Portfolio Efficiency
To facilitate wide use of the bootstrap method in finance, this paper shows by intuitive arguments and by simulations how it can improve upon existing tests to allow less restrictive distributional assumptions on the data and to yield more reliable (higher-order accurate) asymptotic inference. In particular, we apply the method to examine the efficiency of CRSP value-weighted stock index, and to test the well-known Fama and French (1993) three-factor model. We find that existing tests tend to over-reject.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ferson, Wayne E. & Foerster, Stephen R., 1994. "Finite sample properties of the generalized method of moments in tests of conditional asset pricing models," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 29-55, August.
- Jay Shanken & Guofu Zhou, 2007.
"Estimating and testing beta pricing models: Alternative methods and their performance in simulations,"
CEMA Working Papers
275, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Shanken, Jay & Zhou, Guofu, 2007. "Estimating and testing beta pricing models: Alternative methods and their performance in simulations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 40-86, April.
- Jay Shanken & Guofu Zhou, 2006. "Estimating and Testing Beta Pricing Models: Alternative Methods and their Performance in Simulations," NBER Working Papers 12055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhou, Guofu, 1993. " Asset-Pricing Tests under Alternative Distributions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1927-42, December.
- Harvey, Campbell R. & Zhou, Guofu, 1990. "Bayesian inference in asset pricing tests," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 221-254, August.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Shanken, Jay, 1987. "A Bayesian approach to testing portfolio efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 195-215, December.
- Richardson, Matthew & Smith, Tom, 1993. "A Test for Multivariate Normality in Stock Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66(2), pages 295-321, April.
- Shmuel Kandel & Robert McCulloch & Robert F. Stambaugh, 1993.
"Bayesian Inference and Portfolio Efficiency,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0134, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kothari, S. P. & Shanken, Jay, 1997. "Book-to-market, dividend yield, and expected market returns: A time-series analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 169-203, May.
- Shanken, Jay, 1985. "Multivariate tests of the zero-beta CAPM," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 327-348, September.
- Shanken, Jay, 1990. "Intertemporal asset pricing : An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 99-120.
- Hall, Peter & Horowitz, Joel L, 1996. "Bootstrap Critical Values for Tests Based on Generalized-Method-of-Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 891-916, July.
- Joel L. Horowitz, 1996. "Bootstrap Methods in Econometrics: Theory and Numerical Performance," Econometrics 9602009, EconWPA, revised 05 Mar 1996.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cuf:journl:y:2006:v:7:i:2:p:217-249. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.