DETERMINANTS de la pauvreté et genre des bénéficiaires de microfinance au Mali
[DETERMINANTS of poverty by gender of beneficiaries of microfinance in Mali]
This study is based on the results of the non-monetary poverty estimation of the beneficiaries of microfinance in Mali (Koloma, 2011). Its aim is to examine the determinants of the "gap" of poverty by gender. The regression model according to the approach of decomposition of Blinder-Oaxaca (1973) was used. First, the results show that the poverty gap is largely explained by differences in the characteristics up to 74.7%. Second, the coefficients – result of characteristics – account for 25.3% of the poverty gap. Thus, this would mean that if the differences in the characteristics of men and women beneficiaries were to disappear, the poverty gap would be reduced by 4.9%. Regarding coefficients, the gap would be further reduced by 1.7% if both groups of members presented the same achievements (coefficients). While this not systematic, access to microfinance program could involve a reduction in the poverty gap between men and women beneficiaries.
|Date of creation:||30 Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY & Kangni KPODAR, 2004.
"Développement financier, instabilité financière et croissance économique,"
- Sylviane Guillaumont Jeanneney & Kangni R. Kpodar, 2006. "Développement financier, instabilité financière et croissance économique," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 174(3), pages 87-111.
- Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY & Kangni KPODAR, 2004. "Développement financier, instabilité financière et croissance économique," Working Papers 200413, CERDI.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973.
"Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Ronald Oaxaca, 1971. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," Working Papers 396, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Jean-Pierre Lachaud, 1998. "Modélisation des déterminants de la pauvreté et marché du travail en Afrique : le cas du Burkina Faso," Documents de travail 32, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
- Cotton, Jeremiah, 1988. "On the Decomposition of Wage Differentials," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 236-43, May.
- Ben Jann, 2008.
"A Stata implementation of the Blinder-Oaxaca decomposition,"
ETH Zurich Sociology Working Papers
5, ETH Zurich, Chair of Sociology, revised 14 May 2008.
- Ben Jann, 2008. "OAXACA: Stata module to compute the Blinder-Oaxaca decomposition," Statistical Software Components S456936, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 25 Aug 2011.
- Oaxaca, Ronald L. & Ransom, Michael R., 1994. "On discrimination and the decomposition of wage differentials," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 5-21, March.
- Alex Siméon & Dorothée Boccanfuso, 2006. "Dynamique de la pauvreté en Haïti et ses déterminants," Cahiers de recherche 06-15, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Dorothée Boccanfuso & Franck Adoho, 2007. "L’approche Blinder-Oaxaca permet-elle d’identifier les causes des écarts de pauvreté en Guinée ?," Cahiers de recherche 07-16, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Jean-Pierre Lachaud, 2002. "Pauvreté monétaire et privations des capacités en Afrique," Série de recherche 06, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Reimers, Cordelia W, 1983. "Labor Market Discrimination against Hispanic and Black Men," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(4), pages 570-79, November.
- David Neumark, 1987.
"Employers' discriminatory behavior and the estimation of wage discrimination,"
Special Studies Papers
227, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- David Neumark, 1988. "Employers' Discriminatory Behavior and the Estimation of Wage Discrimination," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 23(3), pages 279-295.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:40644. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.