Identifying long run supply curve of India
Identifications of a vertical then a horizontal supply curve are successively imposed on Indian time series inflation and industrial output growth data in a two-equation Structural Vector Autoregression (SVAR) model. The results provide an indirect test of the identifications. A high elasticity of long run supply cannot be ruled out, because supply shocks have a large impact on inflation and demand has a large and persistent effect on output levels. But supply is subject to frequent shocks. Estimated structural shocks capture historical recessions and turning points well. Pro-cyclical policy induced demand shocks aggravated negative supply shocks or failed to take full advantage of positive supply side developments.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Quantitative Economics New Series , No. 2.Volume(2005): pp. 1-15|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hilde C. BjÃ¸rnland, 2000. "Identifying Domestic and Imported Core Inflation," IMF Working Papers 00/4, International Monetary Fund.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Quah, Danny, 1989.
"The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 655-73, September.
- Tom Doan, . "BQDODRAWS: RATS procedure to implement Monte Carlo draws from a VAR with Blanchard-Quah factorization," Statistical Software Components RTS00030, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbance," Working papers 497, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," NBER Working Papers 2737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Blanchard and Quah AER 1989," Statistical Software Components RTZ00017, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hilde Christiane Bjørnland, 2001. "Identifying domestic and imported core inflation," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(14), pages 1819-1831.
- Quah, Danny, 1995.
"Measuring Core Inflation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1153, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roger E. A. Farmer, 1999. "Macroeconomics of Self-fulfilling Prophecies, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262062038, December.
- Danny Quah & Danny Quah & Shaun P. Vahey, 1995.
"Measuring Core Inflation,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0254, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Quah, Danny, 1995. "Misinterpreting the dynamic effects of aggregate demand and supply disturbances," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 247-250, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24021. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.