Testing the Effectiveness of Monetary Policy in Malaysia Using Alternative Monetary Aggregation
The capability of monetary aggregates to generate stable link with fundamental economic indicators verifies the effectiveness of monetary targeting. However, traditional monetary aggregates have become flawed when financial reforms take place. As official monetary aggregates fail to maintain stable link with crucial economic indicators in Malaysia, monetary targeting has been substituted by interest rate targeting. Therefore, Divisia monetary aggregates, which are considered more superior than the simple sum counterparts are used in the investigation for the case of Malaysia. The findings imply that Divisia M2 money demand is stable and is capable to generate appropriate coefficients with correct signs for the variables included. Thus, Divisia money has shed new light on the usefulness of monetary targeting in formulating monetary policy in Malaysia.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Wu, Chung-Shu & Lin, Jin-Lung & Tiao, George C. & Cho, David D., 2005. "Is money demand in Taiwan stable?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 327-346, March.
- Leigh Drake & Adrian Fleissig, 2004. "Admissible Monetary Aggregates and UK Inflation Targeting," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 2, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Spencer, Peter, 1997. "Monetary integration and currency substitution in the EMS: The case for a European monetary aggregate," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 1403-1419, July.
- J. M. Binner & R. K. Bissoondeeal & A. W. Mullineux, 2005.
"A composite leading indicator of the inflation cycle for the Euro area,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(11), pages 1257-1266.
- Jane Binner & Rakesh Bissoondeeal & Andrew Mullineux, 2004. "A Composite Leading Indicator of the Inflation Cycle for the Euro Area," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 24, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- James Hueng, C., 1998. "The demand for money in an open economy: Some evidence for Canada," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 15-31.
- Barnett, William A., 1980. "Economic monetary aggregates an application of index number and aggregation theory," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 11-48, September.
- Dahalan, Jauhari & Sharma, Subhash C. & Sylwester, Kevin, 2005. "Divisia monetary aggregates and money demand for Malaysia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 1137-1153, January.
- Yu, Qiao & Tsui, Albert K., 2000. "Monetary services and money demand in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 134-148, December.
- Arize, A. C. & Malindretos, John & Grivoyannis, Elias C., 2005. "Inflation-rate volatility and money demand: Evidence from less developed countries," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 57-80.
- Mansor Ibrhim, 2001. "Financial Factors and the Empirical Behavior of Money Demand: A Case Study of Malaysia," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 55-72.
- Barnett, William A., 1978. "The user cost of money," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 145-149.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-1072, June.
- Klein, Benjamin, 1974. "Competitive Interest Payments on Bank Deposits and the Long-Run Demand for Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 931-949, December.
- Belongia, Michael T, 1996. "Measurement Matters: Recent Results from Monetary Economics Reexamined," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(5), pages 1065-1083, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:10568. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.