Empirical Evidence on the Long-Run Neutrality Hypothesis Using Divisia Money
By employing Fisher and Seater’s (1993) long-run neutrality test, the researchers tested the monetary neutrality proposition in Singapore for the period of 1980-2009. Empirical findings show that monetary neutrality does not hold in Singapore when both the simple-sum money and Divisia money are employed. As both the simple-sum and Divisia monetary aggregates are non-neutral, monetary authorities may consider their use as a monetary policy tool affecting real economic activity.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chin-Hong, Puah & Muzafar Shah, Habibullah & Venus Khim-Sen, Liew, 2009.
"Is Money Neutral In Stock Market? The Case of Malaysia,"
24017, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2010.
- Chin-Hong Puah & Muzafar Shah Habibullah & Venus Khim-Sen Liew, 2010. "Is money neutral in stock market? The case of Malaysia," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(3), pages 1852-1861.
- Bae, Sang-Kun & Jensen, Mark J. & Murdock, Scott G., 2005. "Long-run neutrality in a fractionally integrated model," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 257-274, June.
- Michael T. Belongia, 1992. "Selecting an intermediate target variable for monetary policy when the goal is price stability," Working Papers 1992-008, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- H. Sonmez Atesoglu & Jamie Emerson, 2009. "Long-run monetary neutrality," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(16), pages 2025-2036.
- Puah, Chin-Hong & Habibullah, Muzafar Shah & Abu Mansor, Shazali, 2008. "Some Empirical Evidence on the Quantity Theoretic Proposition of Money in ASEAN-5," MPRA Paper 31768, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Darrat, Ali F. & Chopin, Marc C. & Lobo, Bento J., 2005. "Money and macroeconomic performance: revisiting divisia money," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 93-101.
- Dahalan, Jauhari & Sharma, Subhash C. & Sylwester, Kevin, 2005. "Divisia monetary aggregates and money demand for Malaysia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 1137-1153, January.
- Puah, Chin-Hong & Habibullah, M.S. & Abu Mansor, Shazali, 2008. "On the Long-Run Monetary Neutrality: Evidence from the SEACEN Countries," MPRA Paper 31762, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tan Hui Boon & Baharumshah Ahmad Zubaidi, 1999. "Dynamic Causal Chain of Money, Output, Interest Rate and Prices in Malaysia: Evidence Based On Vector Error- Correction Modelling Analysis," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 103-120.
- Frederick H.Wallace & Gary L. Shelley, 2007. "Long Run Neutrality of Money in Mexico," Economía Mexicana NUEVA ÉPOCA, , vol. 0(2), pages 219-238, July-Dece.
- Serletis, Apostolos & Koustas, Zisimos, 1998.
"International Evidence on the Neutrality of Money,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Aksoy, Yunus & Piskorski, Tomasz, 2006.
"U.S. domestic money, inflation and output,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 183-197, March.
- Yunus Aksoy & Tomasz Piskorski, 2004. "U.S. Domestic Money, Inflation and Output," Macroeconomics 0401007, EconWPA.
- Yunus Aksoy & Tomasz Piskorski, 2005. "U.S. Domestic Money, Inflation and Output," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0506, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Leigh Drake & Terence C. Mills, 2005. "A New Empirically Weighted Monetary Aggregate for the United States," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 43(1), pages 138-157, January.
- Barnett, William A., 1978. "The user cost of money," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 145-149.
- Fisher, Mark E & Seater, John J, 1993. "Long-Run Neutrality and Superneutrality in an ARIMA Framework," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 402-15, June.
- Schwert, G. William, 1987. "Effects of model specification on tests for unit roots in macroeconomic data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 73-103, July.
- Serletis, Apostolos & Krause, David, 1996. "Empirical evidence on the long-run neutrality hypothesis using low-frequency international data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 323-327, March.
- Puah, Chin-Hong & Habibullah, Muzafar Shah & Lau, Evan & Abu Mansor, Shazali, 2006. "Testing long-run monetary neutrality in Malaysia: Revisiting divisia money," MPRA Paper 31750, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Muzafar Shah Habibullah, 1998. "Divisia money and income in Indonesia: some results from error-correction models, 1981:1-1994:4," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(6), pages 387-391.
- Chin-Hong, Puah & Lee-Chea, Hiew, 2010. "Financial Liberalization, Weighted Monetary Aggregates and Money Demand in Indonesia," MPRA Paper 31731, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shyh-Wei Chen, 2007. "Evidence of the Long-Run Neutrality of Money: The Case of South Korea and Taiwan," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(64), pages 1-18.
- Olekalns, Nilss, 1996.
"Some further evidence on the long-run neutrality of money,"
Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 393-398, March.
- Olekalns, N., 1995. "Some further Evidence on the Long Run Neutrality of Money," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 465, The University of Melbourne.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2007:i:64:p:1-18 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kenneth Leong & Michael McAleer, 2000. "Testing long-run neutrality using intra-year data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 25-37.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:50020. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.