Is Money Neutral In Stock Market? The Case of Malaysia
The objective of this study is to examine whether the notion of monetary neutrality hold in Malaysian stock market. Our findings indicate that there is considerable evidence against the long-run neutrality (LRN) of money in Malaysia’s stock market. The important implication is that the stock market is inefficient with respect to money supply. Agents might have the opportunity to gain excess profit from the stock market using the information on changes in the stock of money to predict the movements in stock indices.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:||2010|
|Publication status:||Published in Economics Bulletin 3.30(2010): pp. 1852-1861|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Serletis, Apostolos & Koustas, Zisimos, 1998.
"International Evidence on the Neutrality of Money,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Koustas, Zisimos & Serletis, Apostolos, 1999.
"On the Fisher effect,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 105-130, August.
- Chin-Hong Puah, & Muzafar Shah Habibullah & Kian-Ping Lim, 2006.
"Testing Long-Run Neutrality Of Money: Evidence From Malaysian Stock Market,"
The IUP Journal of Applied Economics,
IUP Publications, vol. 0(4), pages 15-37, July.
- Puah, Chin-Hong & Habibullah, Muzafar Shah & Lim, Kian-Ping, 2006. "Testing long-run neutrality of money: evidence from Malaysian stock market," MPRA Paper 37676, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dimitrios Malliaropulos, 1995. "Testing long-run neutrality of money: evidence from the UK," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(10), pages 347-350.
- Boschen, John F & Otrok, Christopher M, 1994. "Long-Run Neutrality and Superneutrality in an ARIMA Framework: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1470-73, December.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?,"
8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- McGee, Robert T & Stasiak, Richard T, 1985. "Does Anticipated Monetary Policy Matter? Another Look," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(1), pages 16-27, February.
- Kwon, Chung S. & Shin, Tai S., 1999. "Cointegration and causality between macroeconomic variables and stock market returns," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 71-81.
- Sara Alatiqi & Shokoofeh Fazel, . "Can Money Supply Predict Stock Prices?," Journal for Economic Educators, Middle Tennessee State University, Business and Economic Research Center.
- Lawrence S. Davidson & Richard T. Froyen, 1982. "Monetary policy and stock returns: are stock markets efficient?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 3-12.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Rahmi Yamak & Yakup Kucukkale, 2002. "Anticipated Money Growth and Stock Prices in Turkey," Macroeconomics 0211010, EconWPA.
- Fisher, Mark E & Seater, John J, 1993. "Long-Run Neutrality and Superneutrality in an ARIMA Framework," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 402-15, June.
- Wongbangpo, Praphan & Sharma, Subhash C., 2002. "Stock market and macroeconomic fundamental dynamic interactions: ASEAN-5 countries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 27-51.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.