Macroeconomic variables and stock market: US review
This focus of this paper are the effect, implication, impact and realtionship between selected macroeconomic variables and wider US indices S&P 500 and industrial Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA). Considered are inflation, interest rates, money supply, producer price index, industrial production index, oil price and unemployment and their impact on selected stock indices in the USA between 1999 and 2012. The hypotesis of this paper is, that between selected macroeconomic variables, namely producer price index, industrial production index, oil price and Dow Jones index is strongly relationship than between these factors and S&P 500. The paper is organising as follows. First section reviews the related literature. In section two are materials and methods which are use explained. Section 3 provides the empirical results and the last part presents the conslusions
|Date of creation:||06 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Kimura, Takeshi & Kurozumi, Takushi, 2007.
"Optimal monetary policy in a micro-founded model with parameter uncertainty,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 399-431, February.
- Takeshi Kimura & Takushi Kurozumi, 2003. "Optimal monetary policy in a micro-founded model with parameter uncertainty," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2003-67, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Fama, Eugene F. & Schwert, G. William, 1977. "Asset returns and inflation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 115-146, November.
- Jeng, Chyong-Chiou & Butler, J. S. & Liu, Jin-Tan, 1990. "The informational efficiency of the stock market : The international evidence of 1921-1930," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 157-162, October.
- Douglas K. Pearce & V. Vance Roley, 1984.
"Stock Prices and Economic News,"
NBER Working Papers
1296, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Husain, Fazal & Mahmood, Tariq, 1999.
"Monetary Expansion and Stock Returns in Pakistan,"
5020, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jan Hanousek & Randall K. Filer, 2000.
"The Relationship Between Economic Factors and Equity Markets in Central Europe,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 8(3), pages 623-638, November.
- Jan Hanousek and Randall K. Filer & Jan Hanousek and Randall K. Filer, 1997. "The Relationship Between Economic Factors and Equity Markets in Central Europe," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 78, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Malliaris, A. G. & Urrutia, Jorge L., 1991. "An empirical investigation among real, monetary and financial variables," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 151-158, October.
- Chen, Nai-Fu, 1991. " Financial Investment Opportunities and the Macroeconomy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 529-54, June.
- Gjerde, Oystein & Saettem, Frode, 1999. "Causal relations among stock returns and macroeconomic variables in a small, open economy," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 61-74, January.
- Mukherjee, Tarun K & Naka, Atsuyuki, 1995. "Dynamic Relations between Macroeconomic Variables and the Japanese Stock Market: An Application of a Vector Error Correction Model," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 18(2), pages 223-37, Summer.
- David H. Cutler & James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1988.
"What Moves Stock Prices?,"
487, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Ng, Lilian K., 1998. "International evidence on the stock market and aggregate economic activity," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 281-296, September.
- Jaffe, Jeffrey F & Mandelker, Gershon, 1976. "The "Fisher Effect" for Risky Assets: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 447-58, May.
- Wongbangpo, Praphan & Sharma, Subhash C., 2002. "Stock market and macroeconomic fundamental dynamic interactions: ASEAN-5 countries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 27-51.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39094. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.