Macroeconomic variables and stock market: US review
This focus of this paper are the effect, implication, impact and realtionship between selected macroeconomic variables and wider US indices S&P 500 and industrial Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA). Considered are inflation, interest rates, money supply, producer price index, industrial production index, oil price and unemployment and their impact on selected stock indices in the USA between 1999 and 2012. The hypotesis of this paper is, that between selected macroeconomic variables, namely producer price index, industrial production index, oil price and Dow Jones index is strongly relationship than between these factors and S&P 500. The paper is organising as follows. First section reviews the related literature. In section two are materials and methods which are use explained. Section 3 provides the empirical results and the last part presents the conslusions
|Date of creation:||06 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fazal Husain & Tariq Mahmood, 1999.
"Monetary Expansion and Stock Returns in Pakistan,"
The Pakistan Development Review,
Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 769-776.
- Jan Hanousek and Randall K. Filer & Jan Hanousek and Randall K. Filer, 1997.
"The Relationship Between Economic Factors and Equity Markets in Central Europe,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
78, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jan Hanousek & Randall K. Filer, 2000. "The Relationship Between Economic Factors and Equity Markets in Central Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 8(3), pages 623-638, November.
- Kimura, Takeshi & Kurozumi, Takushi, 2007.
"Optimal monetary policy in a micro-founded model with parameter uncertainty,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 399-431, February.
- Takeshi Kimura & Takushi Kurozumi, 2003. "Optimal monetary policy in a micro-founded model with parameter uncertainty," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2003-67, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Chen, Nai-Fu, 1991. " Financial Investment Opportunities and the Macroeconomy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 529-54, June.
- David M. Cutler & James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1988.
"What Moves Stock Prices?,"
NBER Working Papers
2538, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wongbangpo, Praphan & Sharma, Subhash C., 2002. "Stock market and macroeconomic fundamental dynamic interactions: ASEAN-5 countries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 27-51.
- Pearce, Douglas K & Roley, V Vance, 1985.
"Stock Prices and Economic News,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(1), pages 49-67, January.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Malliaris, A. G. & Urrutia, Jorge L., 1991. "An empirical investigation among real, monetary and financial variables," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 151-158, October.
- Gjerde, Oystein & Saettem, Frode, 1999. "Causal relations among stock returns and macroeconomic variables in a small, open economy," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 61-74, January.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Ng, Lilian K., 1998. "International evidence on the stock market and aggregate economic activity," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 281-296, September.
- Fama, Eugene F. & Schwert, G. William, 1977. "Asset returns and inflation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 115-146, November.
- Mukherjee, Tarun K & Naka, Atsuyuki, 1995. "Dynamic Relations between Macroeconomic Variables and the Japanese Stock Market: An Application of a Vector Error Correction Model," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 18(2), pages 223-37, Summer.
- Jaffe, Jeffrey F & Mandelker, Gershon, 1976. "The "Fisher Effect" for Risky Assets: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 447-58, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39094. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.