Anticipated Money Growth and Stock Prices in Turkey
This study investigates the validity of the policy ineffectiveness hypothesis of Rational Expectations-Natural Rate Models that only unanticipated policy changes affect stock prices by using Turkish data over the period of 1986:1-1999:3. The procedure used to test the hypothesis is the autoregressive system introduced by McGee and Stasiak (1985). The empirical results reported in this paper imply that both anticipated and unanticipated monetary policy appears to play a significant expansionary impact upon stock prices. Such evidence for Turkey strongly rejects the policy ineffectiveness hypothesis of Rational Expectations-Natural Rate Models.
|Date of creation:||18 Nov 2002|
|Note:||Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; prepared on PC; to print on A4; pages: 11 ; figures: included. pdf document submitted via ftp|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barro, Robert J, 1977.
"Unanticipated Money Growth and Unemployment in the United States,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 101-115, March.
- Robert J. Barro, 1976. "Unanticipated Money Growth and Unemployment in the United States," Working Papers 234, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Hyllerberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988.
"Seasonal Integration And Cointegration,"
0-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1973. "Some International Evidence on Output-Inflation Tradeoffs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(3), pages 326-334, June.
- Sargan, John Denis & Bhargava, Alok, 1983. "Testing Residuals from Least Squares Regression for Being Generated by the Gaussian Random Walk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(1), pages 153-174, January.
- Homa, Kenneth E & Jaffee, Dwight M, 1971. "The Supply of Money and Common Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 26(5), pages 1045-1066, December.
- Cooper, Richard V L, 1974. "Efficient Capital Markets and the Quantity Theory of Money," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(3), pages 887-908, June.
- Rozeff, Michael S., 1974. "Money and stock prices : Market efficiency and the lag in effect of monetary policy," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 245-302, September.
- Hamburger, Michael J & Kochin, Levis A, 1972. "Money and Stock Prices: The Channels of Influence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 27(2), pages 231-249, May.
- Barro, Robert J, 1978.
"Unanticipated Money, Output, and the Price Level in the United States,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(4), pages 549-580, August.
- Barro, Robert J., 1978. "Unanticipated Money, Output, and the Price Level in the United States," Scholarly Articles 3450988, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- McGee, Robert T & Stasiak, Richard T, 1985. "Does Anticipated Monetary Policy Matter? Another Look," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(1), pages 16-27, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpma:0211010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.