Long Run Neutrality of Money in Mexico
The Fisher-Seater (FS) methodology is used to investigate long run money neutrality with respect to real GDP and real output in ten selected industries in Mexico. Size distortions and low power of the FS test, issues first raised by Coe and Nason (2003, 2004), are addressed using the Coe-Nason bootstrapping procedure. The evidence indicates that long run money neutrality can be rejected for real GDP and for up to five of the ten industrial sectors studied. These findings indicate that the effects of monetary policy are likely to differ across sectors even in the long run.
Volume (Year): XVI (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (July-December)
|Contact details of provider:|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 1995.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C95-048, University of California at Berkeley.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," CEPR Discussion Papers 1131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Scholarly Articles 12491026, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1994. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," NBER Working Papers 4693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers 233403, University of California-Berkeley, Department of Economics.
- Garrett, Thomas A., 2003. "Aggregated versus disaggregated data in regression analysis: implications for inference," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 61-65, October.
- Frederick H. Wallace & Gary L. Shelley & Luis F. Cabrera Castellanos, 2004.
"Pruebas de la neutralidad monetaria a largo plazo: el caso de Nicaragua,"
Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(4), pages 407-418, octubre-d.
- Wallace, Frederick H. & Shelley, Gary L. & Cabrera Castellanos, Luis Fernando, 2004. "Pruebas de la neutralidad monetaria a largo plazo. El caso de Nicaragua," El Trimestre Económico, Fondo de Cultura Económica, vol. 0(283), pages 613-624, julio-sep.
- Frederick Wallace, 1999. "Long-run neutrality of money in the Mexican economy," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(10), pages 637-639.
- Olekalns, N., 1995.
"Some further Evidence on the Long Run Neutrality of Money,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
465, The University of Melbourne.
- Olekalns, Nilss, 1996. "Some further evidence on the long-run neutrality of money," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 393-398, March.
- Noriega, Antonio E., 2004. "Long-run monetary neutrality and the unit-root hypothesis: further international evidence," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 179-197, August.
- Coe, Patrick J. & Nason, James M., 2003. "The long-horizon regression approach to monetary neutrality: how should the evidence be interpreted?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 351-356, March.
- Haug, Alfred A & Lucas, Robert F, 1997. "Long-Run Neutrality and Superneutrality in an ARIMA Framework: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 756-59, September.
- Elliott, Graham & Rothenberg, Thomas J & Stock, James H, 1996.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 813-36, July.
- Tom Doan, . "GLSDETREND: RATS procedure to perform local to unity GLS detrending," Statistical Software Components RTS00077, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992. "Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root," NBER Technical Working Papers 0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "ERSTEST: RATS procedure to perform Elliott-Rothenberg-Stock unit root tests," Statistical Software Components RTS00066, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Boschen, John F & Otrok, Christopher M, 1994. "Long-Run Neutrality and Superneutrality in an ARIMA Framework: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1470-73, December.
- Bae, Sang-Kun & Ratti, Ronald A., 2000. "Long-run neutrality, high inflation, and bank insolvencies in Argentina and Brazil," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 581-604, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:emc:ecomex:v:16:y:2007:i:2:p:219-238. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ricardo Tiscareño)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.