A SSNIP test for two-sided markets: the case of media
I discuss the design and implementation of a SSNIP test in order to identify the relevant market in a media market. I argue that in such a two-sided market the traditional SSNIP test cannot be applied as it is usually conceived but rather should be modified in order to take into account indirect network externalities. I discuss the issues of which price the hypothetical monopolist should be thought of as raising, of whether we should look at profits changes on only one side or on both sides of the market and of which feedback among the two sides of the market we should take into account. I then derive the relevant formulas for Critical Loss Analysis. These look much uglier than in a single-sided market but in fact they are easy to calculate as they are still expressed in terms of elasticities and of current observed markups, prices and quantities. Data requirements are however higher as one needs to estimate the matrixes of the own and cross price elasticities of demand on the two-sides of the market and the matrixes of the network effects. The paper fills a gap in the economic literature, so much more as market definition in media markets is at the centre of many recent competition policy and regulation cases around the world.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- David Evans & Richard Schmalensee, 2007.
"The Industrial Organization of Markets with Two-Sided Platforms,"
Competition Policy International, vol. 3.
- David S. Evans & Richard Schmalensee, 2005. "The Industrial Organization of Markets with Two-Sided Platforms," NBER Working Papers 11603, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc Rysman, 2004. "Competition Between Networks: A Study of the Market for Yellow Pages," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(2), pages 483-512.
- Elena Argentesi & Lapo Filistrucchi, 2005.
"Estimating market power in a two-sided market: the case of newspapers,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2005/07, European University Institute.
- Elena Argentesi & Lapo Filistrucchi, 2007. "Estimating market power in a two-sided market: The case of newspapers," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 1247-1266.
- Argentesi, Elena & Ivaldi, Marc, 2005. "Market Definition in Printed Media Industry: Theory and Practice," IDEI Working Papers 376, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Wright, Julian, 2006.
"Price structure in two-sided markets: Evidence from the magazine industry,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Wright, Julian, 2004. "Price Structure in Two-sided Markets: Evidence from the Magazine Industry?," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-80, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Unknown & Dennis Carlton, 2007.
"Market Definition: Use and Abuse,"
Competition Policy International, vol. 3.
- Chandra, Ambarish & Collard-Wexler, Allan, 2008.
"Mergers in Two-Sided Markets: An Application to the Canadian Newspaper Industry,"
7954, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ambarish Chandra & Allan Collard-Wexler, 2009. "Mergers in Two-Sided Markets: An Application to the Canadian Newspaper Industry," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 1045-1070, December.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Lörincz, Szabolcs, 2005.
"A Full Equilibrium Relevant Market Test: Application to Computer Servers,"
IDEI Working Papers
341, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Lörincz, Szabolcs, 2005. "A Full Equilibrium Relevant Market Test: Application to Computer Servers," CEPR Discussion Papers 4917, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ivaldi Marc & Lőrincz Szabolcs, 2011. "Implementing Relevant Market Tests in Antitrust Policy: Application to Computer Servers," Review of Law & Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 29-71, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:net:wpaper:0834. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicholas Economides)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.