A Full Equilibrium Relevant Market Test: Application to Computer Servers
The paper defines, implements and compares two empirical tests of relevant markets. While the traditional SSNIP test compares an initial industry equilibrium to an out-of-equilibrium situation, the FERM test, our contribution, compares the same initial equilibrium to an other equilibrium outcome. Hence, it is more in line with the behavioural assumptions of the underlying model of industry equilibrium and this can have significant consequences. We define these concepts formally and apply them to the industry of computer servers by estimating a model on a large dataset. We find several smaller relevant markets in the low-end segment of servers.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Verboven, 1996. "International Price Discrimination in the European Car Market," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(2), pages 240-268, Summer.
- Steven T. Berry, 1994. "Estimating Discrete-Choice Models of Product Differentiation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(2), pages 242-262, Summer.
- repec:oup:restud:v:66:y:1999:i:2:p:423-46 is not listed on IDEAS
- Brenkers, Randy & Verboven, Frank, 2005. "Market Definition with Differentiated Products - Lessons from the Car Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 5249, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:13:y:1997:i:2:p:185-213 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cardell, N. Scott, 1997. "Variance Components Structures for the Extreme-Value and Logistic Distributions with Application to Models of Heterogeneity," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(02), pages 185-213, April.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Verboven, Frank, 2005.
"Quantifying the effects from horizontal mergers in European competition policy,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 23(9-10), pages 669-691, December.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Verboven, Frank, 2001. "Quantifying the Effects from Horizontal Mergers in European Competition Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 2697, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-90, July.
- Jerome Foncel & Marc Ivaldi, 2005. "Operating System Prices In The Home Pc Market," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(2), pages 265-297, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:4917. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.